Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Map C - Fennjourn

Its already a work of Art!

I'm very curious to see these land elevations you speak of - hills and plateaus I assume. I'd be very interested in knowing how you do those. So many maps are devoid of anything between mountain and dead flat.

I will just wrinkle the land here and there. You can see one already south between the most southern mountains and next closest north that start the long chain.
    Its not a big deal, just a sudden elevation from one side that slowly going down to the left. I want to do more of that here and there. Maybe some cracks on the land. This is basicly all snowland, so maybe ice-cracks in the north.

Oh of course! I forgot the latitude of your country.

And I can see the ripples now I look for them. Nice work

So... I guess we aren't going to have any deserts and forests then

I definately want to make some forests. I have experimented just a little with them, but could not find yet a perfect match for the style.
    Deserts? I doubt it. I can make desert-like dunes, though i dont think it will fit the land.

Boreal forest - lovely

And I know deserts are out of the question. I just love the way you draw them

Are these forest any good ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Region C_v1.8.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	288.7 KB 
ID:	96484

I am thinking whether make solid borders for forests or spread them on edges like in the image above.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

I'm impressed by your mountains and find your forests pretty appealing.

I love this map already, but I can't provide a definitive answer your question about the forests, since its a personal style thing. I like your mapping style, though I am more of a photorealist mapper myself, so if I have a preference for forest representation its going to veer towards a more photorealistic faded edge - unless the forest is bounded by fields (which I doubt would be present in this climate)

Thank you Thom and Mouse, again. I think i will do them in this style, but will tweak it more to match theme.

A small update with some terrain features i will have in the map. I marked them in red. Dunes (or hills), some craters and cracks. I will make more cracks in the north. What it to be covered with solid cracked ice.... What else could i throw to the land features? I am running out of ideas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Region C_v1.9.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	96514
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

I love the cracks and craters!

Dunes? Oh! You mean snow drifts

Further ideas.... let me see now...

• Tundra around the forests and around the southern coast in low lying areas - extending further from the forest above the treeline? That would at least give a bit of colour to contrast the ice and snow over the rest of the continent.
    • Pack ice in the northern fjords?
    • Glaciers?

Actually that reminds me. I was going to ask before now (but forgot as usual) if there would really be all those rivers in a largely icebound continent. Would they not be glaciers for at least some of the way down from the top reaches of each valley?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast