Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Map C - Fennjourn

Wow, your different types of terrain are absolutely incredible. It's amazing to see a wip of your work.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Tundra.... how do you draw one? Just a green-brown grassy land ?

What do you mean by PACK ICE ?

I envision this continent as snowy land with some flora here and there in the south. I would like to change most northen islands into glaciers, and north part of the continent would be sold ice, but other then that its a normal land with one season - winter

Edit: Ninja'd by Josiah . Thank you ! I thought noone really watch this thread except Mouse, Josiah, and Thom, so i was wondering should i make so many updates here....
    Last edited by Voolf; 06-14-2017 at 10:17 AM.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Depends what season you're depicting with Tundra - winter it would be frozen solid and probably covered in snow, but in summer it would be a bit like a very lumpy and very rough... orangy... browny... greeny... plain full of sedges and mosses and frequent boggy bits caused by poor drainage - the ground remaining frozen at depths over about 1 metre - keeping the meltwater stuck on the surface. And there's lots of mosquitos as well for some reason... and migrating caribou (not that the last two things are at all relevant to the map). I think the constant annual freezing and thawing rucks the soil and gravel into weird shapes like cracked mud, but with ridges instead of cracks, and on a much larger scale.

That's the way its been described to me, anyway.

Pack ice is sea ice - ice floes and ice bergs - so I guess that goes hand in hand with your idea of the northernmost part of the continent, since the narrower inlets would probably be frozen over, and the glaciers would flow right down to the sea, giving birth to icebergs?

I was mistaken, I think. I thought you were shifting the climate from arctic in the extreme north, down to cold temperate in the south.

EDIT: Here is a picture (about half way down the page there's a good one of two caribou in a relatively red-brown landscape) to give you a few colour ideas - IF you decide to add any to your map
    Last edited by Mouse; 06-14-2017 at 10:50 AM.

Maybe some coastal cliffs or other coastal variation? Maybe a river or so goes through a very high glacial ravine? Very beautiful job so far, looking forward to seeing it develop.

Thank you for suggestions yet again. Here is a litle progress.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Region C_v2.0.jpeg 
Views:	68 
Size:	4.70 MB 
ID:	96724

1. Cracked icy lands are done.
    2. Shaded all islands
    3. Added a cliff-like elevation on the right middle side of mainland (just a tiny fraction). I am not sure if this looks ok. It has kind of perspective look.
    4. Couple more hills here and there on the mainland.

I hit a wall with the forests, this will the the biggest challange for me in this map. I also don't know if i can handle making south part of mainland less snowy by adding different colours, especially if i would like to try some tundra. Colour will break the subtle shade on white - which means i have to redoo shades on that part - a work i would rather try to avoid. This maps gives me a hard time.
    New Horizons

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons

Support:

Wow, your shading is amazing.
    I think the sea could use some dark, deep shading.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Its gorgeous, Voolf

Would like to say more, but have bad broadband right now!

This is developing beautifully, Voolf. Your work is so detailed, every time I look at it I'm in awe (:

Thank you very much everyone !

Big update today.

- i went with a very subtle colours for the land. South - yellow-ish, broun-ish, to show a little less snow, and north - bright blue, to depict more crystal clear ice, that reflects blue sky and ocean.
    - next i froze the north lakes that don't have any rivers going in/out.
    - planted some forests to give folks living there some vegetation.
    - made more terraforming by adding more shadows all over the land.
    - stirred the ocean a little which created coastal waves.

I would say the map is nearly done. I think....
    I have tried almost all your suggestions on the map. Some went good, some i had to pass due to different problems. Thanks anyway.

That being said, i still have some ideas for this map, like labels, some emblems maybe, border obviously, so its still long way ahead. I just think i won't be touching the land anymore, unless some minor tweaks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Region C_v2.1.jpeg 
Views:	50 
Size:	5.10 MB 
ID:	96800
    New Horizons

Support:

Its very beautiful Voolf

You'll soon be finished now

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast