Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: (WIP) Arch City of Nessa'Mor

Guild Member

I am digging the hand drawn style. The buildings are great.

The huge cave made me think that part of this city is always in shadow. And if they are in darkness so often then that means artificial light is very necessary. So is one of the guilds a lighting guild? Do the criminal elements use the darkness to their advantage?

When I saw that huge long winding passage up the cliff face I thought it would be an arduous journey. Pilgrims from below might make the journey to the top. "What would they find there?" I think as I look at that unfinished space.

The map got my imagination moving. Thanks

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AaronSchmidt View Post
    I am digging the hand drawn style. The buildings are great.

The huge cave made me think that part of this city is always in shadow. And if they are in darkness so often then that means artificial light is very necessary. So is one of the guilds a lighting guild? Do the criminal elements use the darkness to their advantage?

When I saw that huge long winding passage up the cliff face I thought it would be an arduous journey. Pilgrims from below might make the journey to the top. "What would they find there?" I think as I look at that unfinished space.

The map got my imagination moving. Thanks
    Thanks, man! I appreciate it.

Well, I'll add a temporary directional from where the sun shines from on Noonday. It never really goes overhead over Nessa'Mor, with the city being a bit more North. (Think Europe.)
    But you are right, the shadow of the arch adds a different dynamic. Even on full moon nights, there are times throughout the night that a big shadow is cast over the underside of that arch.
    I was thinking in the line that definitely there are criminals that use that to their advantage, and so a guild was born with the exact purpose of keeping the city safe from those that would use the shadows for malicious intent by mastering stealth for good.
    And thanks, it's a good idea to have a guild that is big on the lights for the city. I'm quite a fan of glowing stones or the like for light.

About the pilgrimage, well that I still want to think about. I'm torn between having a castle area up top or a important monument. Or ruins or a castle and a forest. Any suggestions are welcome.

Anyway here is another color TEST, I'm still weighing my options on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nessa'Mor_ColorTest2_ByOmriHope.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	95741

Guild Member

It is coming along. What are the guilds you are planning? What type of civilization?

Question Nessa'Mor The Brothers Tree

Hi,

So I decided to pop one more thing in there. The trees up top. It can alter, but for now, it is a decent placeholder.

Secondly, the trees will have a story. I like it that way. What it is... I will brainstorm about it.

Do you like the trees idee? Or should there be a castle there?

Also the colors test for the map. I really need some good solid feedback on that. At least before I move on to bigger things.

Name:	Ness'Mor_Trees_ByOmriHope.jpeg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	95748

Have a nice night.

© Omri Hope 2016-2017. All Rights Reserved.

This is an interesting approach to showing a sort of iso-like perspective.
    I think there's a lot of potential for interesting things done like this.
    Nice work XCali

Guild Member

That tree is bigger than the castles down below. So it is a bit of an yggdrasil world tree. I feel the top is a bit barren. Is it rocky up there? where is the source of the waterfall?

Color... hmmm. I feel that if the cliff is brown and the city below is grey then a lush green up above might be interesting. It might balance the image out. Although it might also dominate and make the more important city less dominant. Worth a try?

This is pretty good so far. It looks very much like a medieval map.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronSchmidt View Post
    That tree is bigger than the castles down below. So it is a bit of an yggdrasil world tree. I feel the top is a bit barren. Is it rocky up there? where is the source of the waterfall?

Color... hmmm. I feel that if the cliff is brown and the city below is grey then a lush green up above might be interesting. It might balance the image out. Although it might also dominate and make the more important city less dominant. Worth a try?

Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding the trees up top, because it is two different trees. I think a world tree would be MUCH larger, and though the trees up top are very big in regard to the trees I'm planning to use down below, it is not a world tree per se. But it will have a story.

Secondly, I've only started thinking what comes up top, so it will come eventually. The same with the waterfall, I decide to give a little bit of tlc later on.

About the color, good idea, I'll give it a try.
    (Side note, to answer a previous question, I'm still brainstorming on the civilisation and the guilds.)

Hope that answer some things.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    This is an interesting approach to showing a sort of iso-like perspective.
    I think there's a lot of potential for interesting things done like this.
    Nice work XCali
    Thank you. I appreciate it.

Post Nessa'Mor with Grass and waterfall!

Hi,

I tried the grass up top and it doesn't look too bad. What do you guys think?

Then I started with the waterfall, tried something with it disappearing underground. But if that doesn't work, I'll just make a river bottom.

Let me know what you think.

Name:	Nessa'Mor_WaterfallandGrass_ByOmriHope.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	95772

© Omri Hope 2016-2017. All Rights Reserved.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast