Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: (WIP) Arch City of Nessa'Mor

Hey XCali

Thank you for showing us some of the story

With regard to the map...

IMHO I don't think you have too much further to go, really. It has a style all of its own already, and it conveys the scene and the information perfectly well. There is nothing actually 'wrong' with any of it, so if you carry on working on it from here to change things to better suit your taste, its really up to you

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Hey XCali

Thank you for showing us some of the story

With regard to the map...

IMHO I don't think you have too much further to go, really. It has a style all of its own already, and it conveys the scene and the information perfectly well. There is nothing actually 'wrong' with any of it, so if you carry on working on it from here to change things to better suit your taste, its really up to you

Thanks. I really do appreciate it.

I do feel a lot of things are coming together. But the border is still extremely new territory for me and the names are something I still need to figure out how to do it justice.

I think if I look at it, I would want it to be an epic map in the end. So ever bit that helps cut the statue out the rock helps. Yes, it is rare kind of style for a map. But there is a lot I still need to learn. A lot is just experimental, with only feedback to help guide it through the dark. Just to say how much feedback helps, the ocean and the forest would have been completely bland if you didn't help me in that regard. So thank you.

I think I want this map to not just be some pet project, but something that inspires. So, I feel there is still a lot to do and learn until then. Hope that makes sense.

Discuss Nessa'Mor Grass and Roads!

Hi!

Okay, so I was working on a battle map I'm busy with and landed on a new land texture, so, with it, I opted for new grass up top for this map. So I hope it works.

And then I got busy with the roads and the Buildings against the cliffs. With a bonus of little pathways for them too.

So let me know what you think.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nessa'Mor_RoadsandGrass_byOmriHope.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	95931

Question Nessa'Mor with ... sidebar?

Hi!

I was feeling inspired. So here is the last one for today. Added ... Hmmm, I'm not quite sure what you call that sidebar on maps?

Anyway, I tried the Endor font for the test. So, let's see if it works.

Have a wonderful day,
    Omri

Name:	Nessa'Mor_SideScroll_byOmriHope.jpeg 
Views:	34 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	95932

© Omri Hope 2016-2017. All Rights Reserved.
    Last edited by XCali; 05-22-2017 at 04:49 PM.

The side bar thing I think you are talking about is most commonly called a legend. If you number the main places of interest in your city you can list them by number in the legend. It saves obscuring the fine details of your city with lots of name labels.

Sometimes that space is used for a key. A key is similar to a legend, but its used to explain what various symbols on the map mean. You will most usually find a key on an Ordnance Survey type map, where villages, towns, and cities are represented by different size/colour spots.

That's a really nice grass texture, by the way

The side bar thing I think you are talking about is most commonly called a legend. If you number the main places of interest in your city you can list them by number in the legend. It saves obscuring the fine details of your city with lots of name labels.

Sometimes that space is used for a key. A key is similar to a legend, but its used to explain what various symbols on the map mean. You will most usually find a key on an Ordnance Survey type map, where villages, towns, and cities are represented by different size/colour spots.

That's a really nice grass texture, by the way
    Thanks.

I have to admit, I'm going to deep uncharted waters with City map legend. Never done it before.

That and how to exactly tackle the buildings is really a challenge at the moment.

Have a nice day Mouse and thanks for all the tips so far.

Buildings.... Hmmn...

They are hand drawn, and have a lovely personal style that doesn't seem to be struggling to imitate something else. I wouldn't change them (unless you really hate them or something).

Maybe, since you have made the roads and the trees and grass relatively dark and colourful you might consider a touch of colour on the rooftops? Not too much, though. Not too dark. At the moment they stand out clearly because there is that light/dark contrast, but maybe just very slightly reduce that contrast by adding just a little shading and colour - a bit like a tidy watercolour, perhaps?

I don't know - and others will probably have different ideas. Maybe you will suddenly have an idea of your own about how you want them to look

Numbering on a city map is something I've never done, but I assume its like labelling. The numbers would have to be close to the thing they relate to so that there is no ambiguity about which building or area they are metaphorically attached to, but placed in such a way as to not get in the way of the general view. It can be a tricky thing to do, and you may need to give each number a slight halo of white so that it doesn't get all tangled up with the line work of the map.

Question

Hello, everyone!

For the heck of it, I tried a storm over the seas. Keep it or not?

Also, I made some changes to the shoreline. (In the water)

Name:	Nessa'Mor_Storm_ByOmriHope.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	95959

Buildings.... Hmmn...

They are hand drawn, and have a lovely personal style that doesn't seem to be struggling to imitate something else. I wouldn't change them (unless you really hate them or something).

Maybe, since you have made the roads and the trees and grass relatively dark and colourful you might consider a touch of colour on the rooftops? Not too much, though. Not too dark. At the moment they stand out clearly because there is that light/dark contrast, but maybe just very slightly reduce that contrast by adding just a little shading and colour - a bit like a tidy watercolour, perhaps?

I don't know - and others will probably have different ideas. Maybe you will suddenly have an idea of your own about how you want them to look

Numbering on a city map is something I've never done, but I assume its like labelling. The numbers would have to be close to the thing they relate to so that there is no ambiguity about which building or area they are metaphorically attached to, but placed in such a way as to not get in the way of the general view. It can be a tricky thing to do, and you may need to give each number a slight halo of white so that it doesn't get all tangled up with the line work of the map.
    Thanks, that was definitely food for thought.

Though how do you propose changing just the roofs? The buildings are on their own layer. So maybe Alpha to selection and carefully paint over the roofs with low opacity, or how would you approach it?

I'm going to add one in a minute with a wholesale quick change.

You could always add the colour on a new layer?

That way you could just delete the colour layer if it doesn't work out right for you

EDIT: the stormy sky is terrific. The layer seems to have slipped a bit, though. There's a distracting white line along the top edge of the grass?
    Last edited by Mouse; 05-23-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Discuss

You could always add the colour on a new layer?

That way you could just delete the colour layer if it doesn't work out right for you

EDIT: the stormy sky is terrific. The layer seems to have slipped a bit, though. There's a distracting white line along the top edge of the grass?

Thanks! I thought it would add some character.

(Yeah, I saw the white lines after I posted it. Fixed most of it already. Thanks for the heads up anyway. )

It's a good idea the layer thing. Though a bit tricky... I have my buildings on three layers, Front Buildings, Buildings and Back buildings, it makes it easier to slip in new buildings. But it's only slightly tricky, I'll try the color layer for them anyway.

I tried a slight brown on them, see how it looks.

Name:	Nessa'Mor_Browner Buidling_ByOmriHope.jpeg 
Views:	27 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	95962

Next, I'll try a texture with opacity. Maybe that would add something.
    Last edited by XCali; 05-23-2017 at 04:16 PM.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast