Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get your rivers in the right place

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That is pretty cool. I watched that History Channel show "How the Earth was Made: The Great Lakes" and never knew about the giant salt basin underneath of the lakes and how it is protected by a giant granite dome.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Don't feel bad Ascension ... I live here and I didn't know that until I watched the same show.

@GP: Yep, the shallowing of the Great Lakes is really worrisome to a lot of us Michiganders. I didn't know though that it was due to crust rising until I saw your post. Thanks!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I wonder if it will have any serious affect on Niagara Falls?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post Actually, Niagra Falls was mentioned...

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    I wonder if it will have any serious affect on Niagara Falls?
    Actually, Niagra Falls was mentioned in that same show.

Apparently Lake Huron and Lake Erie didn't use to be connected. But with the rising of the Lakes caused the water to be forced over the land between the two lakes, which formed the rivers that joined the lakes. The connection between the two occurred 1800 years ago.

Water from the upper lakes flowing into Lake Erie then Lake Ontario caused the water to flow which eventually formed Niagra Falls. So apparently Niagra Falls is relatively "recent" (in geologic time). The show suggested that eventually the water volume flowing over Niagra Falls will increase, though it may be several thousand years before there's any real kind of disasterous change, due to that.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Especially since they're actively slowing the Falls' march. Without intervention, the falls would be gone relatively soon, geologically speaking ... but they've pretty much halted the erosion to keep them in the same place. Add in the effect of the hydro dams, and more water flow shouldn't affect the falls much if at all.

Info Ganges

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    The statement also implies that two separate bits of water will always follow the same path. This is generally true. So when two rivers meet they BOTH then travel in the SAME direction. I.e. rivers do not spontaneously fork or split into two and go different ways around an obstacle. Only in a situation where one path cannot take the combined flow from the source does the water then split into different routes. So rivers always join up and do not split up.
    I'm a new member, and I apologize if this subject has been beaten to death. I get frustrated myself with rivers that split for no apparent reason. However, we should keep in mind the example of the lower Ganges ( http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...6,1.299133&z=9 ), and that rivers do split sometimes.

This example is probably more useful for retconning existing maps than creating new ones.

In the case of distributaries (the lower Ganges, in this case), the water is still following the path of steepest descent. The main channel starts to fill with silt until it is no longer able to carry the entire flow, which forces a side channel that can carry the rest of the flow. This side channel appears because the amount of water + the reduced channel size makes the total water column height greater than the surrounding landscape. This sort of thing is common in deltas all over the world, but the length of the distributaries is always a tiny fraction of the overall river length.
    Many of the river splits we see here at the guild take place far up along the river, which is very unstable, geologically speaking, and will not last any significant length of time.

Guild Apprentice

Uhoh, I had no idea there was so much to rivers. It might only be text/ascii maps (right now) but I believe I have the mother of all river violations spreading from one end to the other of a 3000 room continent.

Now I'm going to have to invent some world story about alternative gravity or something

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aylorian View Post
    Uhoh, I had no idea there was so much to rivers. It might only be text/ascii maps (right now) but I believe I have the mother of all river violations spreading from one end to the other of a 3000 room continent.

Now I'm going to have to invent some world story about alternative gravity or something
    One word for you... MAGIC
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

You know, some of this makes no since when looking at a texas map... our rivers split like crazy...
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast