Thread: Requesting small-ish cave/dungeon maps for a short notice D&D game on fathers day

Default Requesting small-ish cave/dungeon maps for a short notice D&D game on fathers day

Hi all,

Thanks for taking notice of my post.

I've managed to persuade the family to play a D&D game that I will DM for my fathers day "treat". With less than a week to put something together (would need the map by Friday 16th June) I was hoping to be able to just pick up a ready-made map that I can just populate.

This there will be three kids aged 7, 12 and 14yo (so nothing too dark as a theme), and my wife for a few hours of gaming. I'm letting them start at level 3 so they're not too squishy and should also give a bit more flexibility with the encounter make-up and difficulties.

For a scenario I was thinking something very simple, for example (I'm sure I've played this as a side thing somewhere else):
    - They were travelling from one town to another and, after taking shelter from a storm in a cave near an old abandoned castle, a tree above the entrance is hit by lightening causing the cave entrance to collapse and be blocked. It then turns out that the cave is actually a bolt tunnel from the castle and they need to fight their way back out to the surface. That should give a fair amount of flexibility in terms of the cave/castle population.

I'm going to use Roll20 with a large TV for the interface for the map, and would love something colourful and atmospheric as a backdrop. I've not made D&D maps for ages (and even then they were not fantastic) so I'm never going to have the time to make something nice looking whilst also getting their characters and all the encounters etc done in time for Sunday.

Thank you in advance!
    Lee

Blog Entries

Are you sure that there is not something you could use in the finished map section ? We have had no end of towns, caves, and castle plans to choose from.

Whiz through the thumbs and have a look.
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/finished_thumbs.php

Here are a couple maps that might work, ruined castle and a cave with tunnels

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101-DragonKill-Lair4_bg.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	96486Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ruins_of_redthorne_castle_by_bogie_dj-d4a9zjr.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	5.17 MB 
ID:	96487

Here is a modified version of the cave that may work even better for what you desctibe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101-Cavern4_bg.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	96498

Hi Redrobes, you have to be a member before you're allowed to look through the thumbs. Unfortunately I'm not.

Bogie! Thank you! Those are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilguystumpy View Post
    Hi Redrobes, you have to be a member before you're allowed to look through the thumbs. Unfortunately I'm not.

Bogie! Thank you! Those are excellent.
    You are welcome.
    All you have to do is post 2 more times to get full access. Just look at a couple of the finished maps and post: "Great Map, well done!" and you are in.

Thanks again Bogie, the day went great. So much so that they're up for doing it again every once in a while

Whoa, what's the name of this map with the lock? It looks cool, I would play on it, it is quite unconventional

It looks unusual, I would say excellent!