Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Map A - Northern Maze [Jo land]

I really like your "caterpillar" style you got going there. Although they are not what generally comes to mind when I think caterpillar mountains. Which is good from my perspective, as I generally don't like them aesthetically.

I remember also having scaling problems with the mountains in my map, in the end it ended up being absolutely huge swaths of broken treacherous mountains. Far greater in breadth than any mountain systems here on earth. Due to the nature of this planet and the absolutely gigantic landmasses involved I don't think it'd be far fetched at all to have mountains 400 kms long.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    They're working now - and a very interesting chain of images they are too

I also prefer the 400 mile long mountains, but if you want to be realistic you can't really afford to keep them... unless you turn them into 400 mile long ridges?

I can't really see very much of the hachures to say anything on that front!

Thanks Mouse ! I think I will still try to progress in the mountains by respecting the scale, with the hatchings ... And if after a while I see that it is really not beautiful, I will take the option "magic" With immense mountains and unfathomable valleys ...

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    I really like your "caterpillar" style you got going there. Although they are not what generally comes to mind when I think caterpillar mountains. Which is good from my perspective, as I generally don't like them aesthetically.

I remember also having scaling problems with the mountains in my map, in the end it ended up being absolutely huge swaths of broken treacherous mountains. Far greater in breadth than any mountain systems here on earth. Due to the nature of this planet and the absolutely gigantic landmasses involved I don't think it'd be far fetched at all to have mountains 400 kms long.

I have just seen your map on Guildworld and it is quite well proportioned, I think.
    But you're right, after reading the 50 pages of the thread on Guildworld, I understand that the scale is not that important ... It reassures me for the future, although I still want to try respect the scale for the moment ... Even if it's just not to be too different compared to the maps of the neighbors: that of Voolf is magnificent (and quite to scale)

I also was concerned about the scale of my map at the beginning, but it seems like everyone is making their own scale for their maps, so i don't think you should worry about that so much. As long as you don't make a realistic map go for what looks better, not seems right.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO -
    Hmmm... I'm thinking "big wall made of ice"... Are your folks strange looking with very blue eyes ???
    No, they are normal folks thrown beyond the wall... they just want to get in because of the strange looking blue eyes guys in the far north of my continent
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

I'm still not sure I found a nice way to make those mountains... the only thing I'm sure, it's that's a real maze... Even I get lost in those valleys...

Let me know what you think about those caterpillars !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northern Maze 03.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	5.41 MB 
ID:	97291

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    No, they are normal folks thrown beyond the wall... they just want to get in because of the strange looking blue eyes guys in the far north of my continent
    As I move from west to east, I'm still not sure if I plan to draw safe harbours for your folks... because if your folks are in my land, who will take care of those strange looking guys ?

Woah! How many hours and hours did it take you to do all those hachures?

I'm seriously impressed. This has got to be the detail map that will beat your famous Challenge castle, with all its hundreds of little men

Impressive map already ! If I had to make a comment I'd say that you could perhaps thin the coastline a little.

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

Definitely an interesting style, I love to see where you take this! I'm just concerned it might be too cluttered, but I'm sure you'll figure it out. =)
    Best wishes, Steffen
    Visit me on ArtStation.

It's looking good JO, very similar to the reference picture you showed us.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    As I move from west to east, I'm still not sure if I plan to draw safe harbours for your folks... because if your folks are in my land, who will take care of those strange looking guys ?
    True that !, LOL, I will go bother Kacey's Land, You are difficult to negotiate to .
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Woah! How many hours and hours did it take you to do all those hachures?

I'm seriously impressed. This has got to be the detail map that will beat your famous Challenge castle, with all its hundreds of little men
    Thanks Mouse ! Now I have the chance to be able to draw simple stuff without being stuck in front of my computer... So I take every minute I can, during lunch break or so, to add some hachures... I thought it would be painful, but in the end, it's quite relaxing... in a way...

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Impressive map already ! If I had to make a comment I'd say that you could perhaps thin the coastline a little.
    Thanks for your advice, Thomas ! I'll do that... I had to work on the coastline anyway : the mouths of the rivers are not good looking, right now...

Quote Originally Posted by SteffenBrand View Post
    Definitely an interesting style, I love to see where you take this! I'm just concerned it might be too cluttered, but I'm sure you'll figure it out. =)
    Best wishes, Steffen
    You're right... I figured that after having done the first peninsula, on the west.. But I was aiming for "cluttered" on another hand : it's supposed to be a maze.
    I had plans, anyway, to manage some "flat lands" on the north (for cities, fields, forests and such)... and to give shelter for the folks coming from the north : it appears they have some troubles with strange looking guys, over there... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    It's looking good JO, very similar to the reference picture you showed us.

True that !, LOL, I will go bother Kacey's Land, You are difficult to negotiate to .
    I'm sure I can manage some room for you in the north of the land...
    If only to welcome these strange guys with very blue eyes, when they cross the sea :-D

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast