Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Western Troa Continent - Feedback, please

I'm a newbie, but in my opinion it looks quite decent.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected joaodafi's Avatar

Default Update #13

Update #13 - Rivers for days

I started working at a new company, I had to move, long story short, I had very little time to dedicate to this project, just an hour or two every other week, that's the bad news.

Good news is I'AM BACK BABY!!!

I've been drawing rivers for longer than I can remember, so no more updates about rivers... after this one.

The only part of the map that still has rivers to draw is the north coast of the map, so instead of just posting more pieces of the map with rivers, I thought it would be more interesting to talk about the process, after all, all madness eventually becomes a method.

Not that I think the way I've been drawing these rivers is efficient or better than any other, but after many hours looking for inspiration in real maps and coming to the cabalistic conclusion of "cool rivers look cool". I ended up sticking more to the following method:

First, identify the drainage basin and draw the main river
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Troa Oficial 12k - basin selected.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	136495

Drawings of the main tributaries, going from the main river to the mountains.

Name:	Troa Oficial 12k - main tri.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.47 MB 
ID:	136496

Now just draw the secondary tributaries, in higher and mountainous terrain they tend to be longer and parallel.

Name:	Troa Oficial 12k - high tri.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	136497

In lower and flatter terrain, the tributaries tend to be more meandering and spread out.

Name:	Troa Oficial 12k - Low tri.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	136498

Given that rivers are one of the last parts of physical geography, from now on updates and development of the project will be highly focused on worldbuilding, but don't worry I still have a lot of maps to milk from this project.
    Sorry any grammatical error, I'm better with Portuguese than English.

Guild Member

Looking real good thus far, I love this style of map and will be doing similar once I get going again.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234