Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Terran Consortium

One point to consider is what you're trying to represent. If you're trying to represent a teaching aid to show history or to show current limitations, then a 3D representation might be a good one. If you're going for a day-to-day use map, what you're using for FTL technology will make a big impact on what you should show. If you're using something like wormhole or stargate technology where the routes are fixed, consider something like a subway map (a very abstract representation of the routes). If your technology is "simple" FTL where you can go X amount faster than lightspeed, then you're going to have a fairly dense 3D map that's pretty much point-to-point and something closer to the abstract list that Hai-Etlik suggested would be more appropriate. "Subspace pathfinder" technology (ships travel through a different kind of space and it's cheaper to go through an already-discovered route) is a nice middle ground where both kinds of maps are appropriate: a 3D one for route discoverers and a subway-type or list-based one for regular users.

Think of traditional maps: traders and sailors use one kind of map that's adapted for their needs. Teachers will want another kind of map, and explorers yet another.

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    No that was an auto correct that I didn't catch. It should indeed be Terran instead of Terrain.
    I fixed the thread title for you. Woohoo! I've finally been useful!

Yeah for Waldronate!!!

And that third one would probably be the closest to what I am thinking. There aren't really any specific "routes" per si. Ships use inertial dampening technology to achieve FTL velocities. The other issue is that political alliances aren't always based on proximity so the "sectors" are oddly shaped (still not.certain how I will show that yet). Say a ship and its crew need to get from system A to system F. Systems B, C, and D are in the intervening space but all three belong to different political alliances, one of which would happily blast our travelers into subatomic particles. Being able to actually see the area to avoid seems much easier than having to calculate it from numbers.

Like I said I'll keep plugging away at this. Its a good way to get back into the swing of things after such a long absence. Do appreciate all the feedback though. Gives me lots to think about.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Well, it seems that perhaps I spoke a little to quickly about things settling down at work. One employee started leave for birth of a child which was fully expected and accounted for when scheduling everyone else. Another employee begged to pick up as many of those extra hours as possible then gave 3 days notice and quit. Now I am back to a seven day work week with half of those being 14 hour days.

Not giving up on this though. Just gonna be slow going until I am fully staffed at work again. I've been thinking about the comments so far and trying to work out a little more detailed reasoning why this particular style of a star chart/map would be useful for navigational purposes. Haven't got all the details worked out just yet but I am leaning towards something akin to the stars/systems being channel markers in a gravitational river of sorts with the technology used to achieve FTL speeds being effected by the stellar "gravity wells."

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Holy shmoly, its been a while since I fist started this thread. Kinda been plugging at this thing (feel free to read that as several restarts and rethinkings) and have a new rough of what I am going to do with it. Since the whole 3d-ish thing just wasn't working out the way I was hoping it would, I've dropped that idea and gone with more of a regular look. Still experimenting with colors and what not, but definitely getting a better feel for things as I keep going. Will probably end up with both a pretty color version and a black & white version.

Anyways.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TCRB WIP-001.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	780.5 KB 
ID:	126485

One of the things I am working on right now is a nebulae-like background to slip in there somewhere as an attempt to make things prettier. Will be coloring in the stars as well based on their spectral classes at some point. There is a good chance that some of the names will change as well as positions, but that won't happen until I get more detailed about when they were colonized. Also considering some way of identifying resources available in each system, but don't want the text to start looking too crowded.
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 11-23-2020 at 07:38 PM.
    GW

This is the first set of System Maps for my Terran Consortium setting. Since they’re meant to serve a dual purpose (gaming and writing), I’m trying to include the pertinent information needed for both purposes rather than making multiple versions of each map. Also, for the purposes of dual usage, I am keeping them very simple and readable. No crazy color schemes, no outrageous fonts, and, ultimately, sized to be printable at 300 dpi on an 11 x 8.5 inch page when I get to that point.

This first “map” is of the Imanshar System (sometimes referred to as Consortium Prime) as a whole.

The Imanshar System is located at the very heart of the Consortium and is the birthplace of Mankind (so far as Mankind knows). As one of the three ternary systems within the Consortium, it is, much as one might suspect, one of the largest population centers, serving as home for approximately 14 billion people.

The system consists of three Main Sequence stars, an F9V orbiting with a G5V/K1V pair (something I mis-represented and will have to fix on the main star chart). There are also 2 significant Space Stations that were established as Mankind colonized the second and third stars of the system. In the real universe/galaxy, it is probably very unlikely that all three of these stars would serve as host for habitable planets, but, this is science fiction, and, thanks to a number of authors, television shows and movies, stretching the boundaries of probability and reality is, at least, moderately acceptable. As for the stellar orbits, there probably needs to be a greater separation between the F9V and G5V/K1V pair, and they probably should have been shown as being more elliptical (not to mention probably inclined to one another), but my math-fu (and several other related -fus) weren’t quite up to the task. I think, however, that I managed to land somewhat within the ballpark with most of the pertinent data and results. I’m still working out how I am going to generate planetary data, and suspect that I am going to have to fall back to something along the lines of WinStar or Astro-synthesis to generate all the data I’ll be needing.

Anyways, here it is.

Name:	Imanshar System.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	411.5 KB 
ID:	127287

Edit: And just because I want to see how anyone feels about a slightly prettier but not intense for print version...

Name:	Imanshar System Alternate.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	127289
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 12-20-2020 at 04:48 PM.
    GW

Played around with this a little bit in trying to find a good way to include more detail as far as planetary orbits and such in a single map. Feel like I am close to something with a "pretty" version but still have a ways to go. Probably need to make the orbital paths a little stronger than they currently are, but that is easy enough to accomplish as I move forward.

Thoughts?
    Suggestions?

Name:	Imanshar System - Prettier Maybe.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	127542
    GW

Guild Journeyer

I agree with you, make the path stronger.
    You choose to make circles, but ellipse are more common in space.
    The global look is nice : very "scientific", i like it

Yep, gonna try those stellar orbits again. Been a hectic couple of weeks, but gonna take another shot at it over the weekend.
    GW

So I think I finally got my math-fu working a little better and came up with a reasonable way to create the stellar orbits as ellipsis. Had to fudge a couple of things here and there, but, again, hopefully I landed somewhere in the ballpark (probably in foul territory ).

So an update. Includes planetary orbital windows for each star. Next step will probably be to make individual planet windows for the main inhabited planet for each star. And, of course, some fresh labels at some point.

Also, I did manage to set things up so I can make this as a pretty version and quickly turn it into a simple 11x8.5 printable version.

Anywho.....

Name:	Imanshar SystemWIP-002.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	217.7 KB 
ID:	127614
    GW

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12