Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Guild Dungeon

This sounds fun. I may take a stab at something to contribute....

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    I know but I'm french so they can go and boil their bottoms. I blow my nose at the, so-called "Dungeons" and all their silly Drag-uns ! (Straf, come to my help here, please)
    Je me gausse
    LOL

Fahrenheit is an important and practical measurement system! The 0 point is the freezing point of cheap brandy and the 100 point is the temperature of the armpit of a sweaty Danish guy from the 1700s who just drank a fair amount of said brandy! None of this silly "go to the ocean, distill some water, freeze it and call that 0, boil it and call that 100" nonsense.

And 5' squares are very useful! It's the space in which a short and overly muscled type dressed in silly amounts of metal bits can be expected to swing a kitchen knife around in! If you want a bigger and pointier stick, you need about twice as much space, or 10'. And if you need a measurement of a foot, you just line up the first however many guys out of church heel-to-toe, measure that distance and divide by the number of guys. Easily reproducible anywhere that you have churches, guys, and math!

Is the intent to go with something like geomorph tiles (fixed number and location of connecting elements on each edge) or just freefrom? I'm guessing freeform, but I though that I would ask. A geomorph tile contest (city and/or dungeon) might be an interesting challenge if folks are running low on ideas.

That's some proper mathematizing right there!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Could some good soul (not that i would dare point fingers.... ChickPea?... Mouse?... ) gather the most important technicalities and post in one thread as it was done for Guild City? Do we even follow some rules ? I only see a grid by J.E. Is it for the size refference only or we actually palce it on the map ?
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

As far as I know...

There was a general agreement that the background for the big map should be black so the map wouldn't look like granny's patchwork quilt with all our different background patterns merged together.

I believe the ideal size for maps presented to Red for inclusion is 100 px per 5' grid square, which is the resolution of the grid that John provided (I think he did it for me because I was pretty confused for a while, but he was too sweet to point the finger at me ) the grid could be used as a convenient place to start, but you don't have to use it. That's not a rule. Personally, I'm working at 150 px per 5' grid square and reducing the final image to 100 px.

The reason we are working at a maximum image size of 2000 px completely escapes me, but I do remember sweating a lot over a lot of numbers that Red gave us, and that 2000 px square seemed to be the ideal maximum size. It makes sticking this thing together into the big zoomy map a bit easier for Red in the long run - and the amount of work he's doing I think its definitely worth trying to stay with that number, but again - there's no hard fast rule about that, and your map won't be disqualified or anything if its bigger - especially not if its drop dead gorgeous

Corridors/paths/tunnels leaving the map would be best done at right angles to the edge they are crossing, and be either 5' or 10' wide (1 or 2 grid squares). That's so they match up with other maps a bit better.

Its also best if you leave a bit of space around the outside of your map so that the exits stick out just a bit. That way, Red can use the bits that stick out to merge exits from different maps together more smoothly.

Where the map is very close to the edge - just because it happened that way, or whatever - you may need to make a separate bit of exit passageway to join it to another map.

I think that mostly sums it up

Blog Entries

Yeah thats about it Mouse - thanks ! The 2000 pixel bit is only that my app handles individual icons up to 2K then if you wanted more than this then I break up the image into tiles of whatever size up to 2K. Also, I think this community project is better served if we all do lots of smaller bits of dungeon like a few rooms instead of large swathes of it.

Theres a couple of sticky threads in the GuildDungeon forum - have a look at the one which is about the placement. I am keeping a large 4K square version of the latest placement there up for discussion. The final will be a 16K zoomy map version of it - i.e. 1:1 pixel res with your submissions.

I think once you see the current map being built then it will make more sense.

Edit: See -> https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=39716
    Last edited by Redrobes; 11-18-2017 at 07:03 PM.

Big THANK YOU Sue, you are a timesaver.

Edit: Thanks Red !
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Feet? Yards? Meters? If I ever write a dungeon-diving game, they can all go to the nether planes. My basic unit of tactical distance will be the pace, with no conversion factor given. Sure, it's yard-ish or meter-ish, but you aren't playing surveyors, so it doesn't really matter which its closer to.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast