Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 20 - Northern Gate [Azelor]

Wip 20 - Northern Gate [Azelor]

My second district. I wanted to do something completely different than my previous one.
    It sits next to the Norther Gate of the city, possibly the busiest.
    It has some buildings but it's mostly covered with farmland. Farms that are pretty small.
    The whole farmland on this plot would feed one family, according to the numbers I've found (and this is a very optimist approximation).
    I've found that in Renaissance Lithuania, around 50 acres of land was needed to feed one family. While our climate is a lot better than the one in Lithuania, There are only about 10 acres of farmland here.
    While I know there is no need to follow real guidelines it does give a better sense sense of scale.
    I'm am assuming that the market would be located inside the walls but I might have one at the crossroad too.

Planning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20 planning.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	849.7 KB 
ID:	102040

I changed the path of the road but it should fit with the neighbour.
    I'm not sure if the city walls fit or if they overlap on my area. I think they do cross the pink line. Especially Daniel wall.
    Last edited by Azélor; 12-07-2017 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Alright, I'll start a new thread right away.
    You weren't joking
    Maybe they grow a different sort of crop than ones that are more standard for Earth.
    Or, maybe they are doing a richer crop or one that is higher in value.
    Perhaps not just a straight food source crop. Or maybe some sort of vertical farming.
    Many farming techniques in the past and in certain parts of the world were not the most effective or best land use.

Regardless, it's a nice layout and should be an attractive section of town.

I think they farm on the side while doing something else as a living. That could be an explanation.
    That's what the farmers do is Skyrim. They spend half the day at the tavern.

That's a great start, and having seen your first section finished I'm really looking forward to this one

Added you to the main index

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

That's quick ! And as you said, really different district. If you make the level of details on those fields that you've done on your city district, that will be a glorious one !

Great start!

I did some test and pretty much finalized placing everything already. Except trees but they are more like a filler.
    Roads should be at the right size.

The map covers an area more or less 60% of the size of my previous district.
    I made the scale twice the size of the original layout, White hill was 3 times the original, or 50% larger than this.
    So If I got the math right, White Hill was actually 2,4 (area covered in pixels).
    I can still have plenty of details at this size.

I left the red line this time for reference. Each one represent 5 meters in elevation.
    The terrain if mostly flat. The city wall is slightly higher but it's a gentle slope.
    It is much more abrupt near the lake. I checked on the other district south, and I estimated that a 20-25 meters drop from the surrounding is consistent with the other lake.
    It means the southernmost house is close to water level.

Farming, I'm still struggling to find the right style for me.
    I'm using J.Edward map as reference https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=32285
    and Mike Schley style

I could either draw the bush separately. or I could draw the holes in it. See map.
    'll keep testing.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	dec 7.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	102081
    Last edited by Azélor; 12-07-2017 at 02:25 PM.

8 hours in

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	8 dec.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	102108

This one is coming on a lot faster than the last section. Must be practice.

Looking great

Nice! And now, I'm wondering where is the tavern .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast