Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Random sketches by Thomas

Lovely compass and border. Very promising. It's good to decided to make it in colour
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

I'm thinking the compass might look even better with a few ink lines to bind it in with the rest of the style?

Maybe its just me

Otherwise a beautiful map

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    The colours are going to be one hell of an addition to this already beautiful map! And I'm looking forward to seeing how you're going to solve this compass issue that lights up the navigation lines!
    Thanks Joel The commission has been put on hold for the moment but I'm confident I'll find a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Lovely compass and border. Very promising. It's good to decided to make it in colour
    Thanks Rafal and yes, I think it's a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I'm thinking the compass might look even better with a few ink lines to bind it in with the rest of the style?

Maybe its just me

Otherwise a beautiful map
    You are perfectly right Sue, I've added a discreet lowered opacity outline and it solved the problem, thanks for that

My apologies for the late responses everyone, the last weeks have been busy and stressful. I've barely roamed the forum taking part in no discussion due to a terrible lack of time. With the Covid crisis, I've been teaching from home with a 3 years old who wants her friends and needs a lot of attention to go through the day and a little guy named Basile who is 2 month old and lovely but needs a lot of attention too . My personal/couple/rest/quiet work/mapping time is from 9PM to 12pm when I'm not just exhausted these days. You see why I'm a ghost around here.

Still I've managed to draw a bit in these strange times and I've tried toned paper. I've wanted to try it for a long time as it allows to add highlights (contrary to white) and here are the results. The map with the big rose is a mock up of a compass for an upcoming commission (I'll post it in the next few days) that I thought I'd use for a study rather than throw away.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Toned 1post.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	453.9 KB 
ID:	122299----Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Toned 1final post.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	516.9 KB 
ID:	122300----Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Toned 2post.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	652.0 KB 
ID:	122301

I might try watercolor with this paper when time allows me to.

As always, I'd love to hear your thoughts about those.

Cheers !

Aww, strong white on parchment always look so special and magical... ^^
    'love that giant compass, Thomas

Merci Beee I designed the compass large and used it as a basis for a commissioned piece. working on toned paper is great but I still gotta use that technique on my favorite sepia backgrounds

Guild Apprentice

I love the look you can get with white and black on a mid-toned paper. IMO, for this style a little goes a long way on the pure white. Maybe if you worked in some light hatching with the white pencil it would even out the effect some?

Quote Originally Posted by thepinksalmon View Post
    I love the look you can get with white and black on a mid-toned paper. IMO, for this style a little goes a long way on the pure white. Maybe if you worked in some light hatching with the white pencil it would even out the effect some?
    That's what I originally wanted to do but my pilot ballpoint pen was extra wonky and I've lend all my nibs to a co-worker that hasn't given them back yet so, I've shaken my white ink bottle for 15 minutes for nothing.

I'm shamefully absent from the forums these days as the Covid-19 measures have really messed up my mapping (and regular too) schedule but I'm still mapping and will soon be allowed to share some works. In the meantime, my best friend's birthday was a few days ago so, I drew a gift wrapping paper for him

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EpCfN1VW4AAWCTT.jpeg 
Views:	46 
Size:	802.8 KB 
ID:	127290

Cheers !

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

As someone said on twitter : best gift wrap ever !
    I hope he enjoyed the presents too !

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    As someone said on twitter : best gift wrap ever !
    I hope he enjoyed the presents too !
    Merci beaucoup Joël

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast