Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Official Guild Discord Server!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Radio Diamond and Kellerica, then

I think maybe there are a lot of people like me who feel a bit uncomfortable talking 'on air'.

We all have our own reasons. For example, too many elocution lessons to stop me from sounding like a country bumpkin in my childhood has left me sounding a bit like the Queen... though there is still a shade of my original Dorset accent in there somewhere. I've been told in the past that it sometimes makes me sound like I'm 'putting it on', even though I was so rigorously drilled for so long that it really is just the way I speak these days.

There is also the other thing... the Aspie-me has a terrible tendency to mimic the accent of those around me. Its part of the elaborate acting routine (an ingrained coping strategy) that I use to 'pass for normal' in the real world. While this is barely noticeable when I'm talking to other villagers, it can come across as if I'm taking the mic when I accidentally take on an American/French/Italian tone of English. The fastest way to lose friends!

I almost did that the other day when I was talking to Hai-Etlik!!!

Its very much safer for me to stay quiet, I think
    I can relate to that more than you know, Mouse. I too tend to mimick the accent of those around me, both in Finnish and perhaps even more strongly in English, since in a foreign language I don't have that much of a "natural" accent to fall back on.

Sooo... It wouldn't bother me, I guess that's what I'm trying to say?

I know it would be hard for me to feel comfortable talking at first, but that honestly just tells me that I should do it. I so rarely have a chance to actually talk in English instead of just writing it, I know I could use the practice. I tend to be overly aware how stupid my accent sounds and compeletely freeze when I can't express myself due to forgetting a certain word... At least you're a native, Mouse!

But to each their own, of course.

Radio Diamond & Kellerica - I do like the sound of that! Haha!
    Last edited by Kellerica; 12-28-2017 at 05:40 AM.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I should also add that in addition to mimicking the accents of those around me, every now and then there seems to be this hint of an ever-so-fake Scottish accent creeping into my speech. I have no idea where that comes from, it would be kinda hilarious if it wasn't so embarrasing!

Maybe we should use this shared tendency to mimic to create our own multi-accented 'English'. 'Guild-speak' - an average English/Finnish/American/French/German/Italian/everything-else-ian accent

And yes - I'm a native Brit

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Maybe we should use this shared tendency to mimic to create our own multi-accented 'English'. 'Guild-speak' - an average English/Finnish/American/French/German/Italian/everything-else-ian accent

And yes - I'm a native Brit
    Now you're talking! See, no need to linger in silence. Radio Diamond, Kellerica & Mouse. Come join us. Join us.

JOOOOOIN. UUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSS.

(Lords have mercy, I don't even have a mic yet and I'm already going out of my way to sell the voice chat to people... someone stop me please!)

Update:

I just ordered myself a headset. It's on, bitches.

(sorry for calling you bitches, I'm just really worked up! Whoooo!)

What did you get?

I recommend this one (naturally - its the one I've got). Charges in 2 hours flat, and lasts 8-9 hours. Brilliant sound. Convenient to use just as headphones, since the mic folds up out of the way and switches itself on and off as you move it. Also wireless, so if you fancy a cuppa you don't jerk your head off your shoulders as you get up from the PC

I was lucky and got it on sale for half the price about 6 months ago. They do half price every now and then, so its worth keeping an eye open for one if you think its a bit pricey right now. (Lets face it, I wouldn't buy it right now)

This is a cheaper alternative, but it doesn't really make clear if its wireless or not...
    Last edited by Mouse; 12-26-2017 at 03:21 PM.

Guild Apprentice

Glad to see everybody so worked up about the discord. Secondly, regardless of accents or bad habits to copy the accent of those around you (something I also tend to do) I have to encourage everybody to talk and enjoy the company of everyone on the guild. When it comes to places like this, I've found most people to be incredibly accepting and rather accommodating. Being someone who often speaks with people out of my own place of origins (U.S. for those who are wondering) I can personally guarantee that when it comes to reasons why most people don't want to talk in a discord chat, or on-voice or "on-air" as mouse put it, your worries and anxieties are nothing if not unfounded.
    On another note mics, if you're going to talk you need one. I personally recommend this headset. Naturally it's the some headset I myself use, and it has proven itself to be of great quality over the past year. it comes with it's own volume adjuster, as well as a mute button for the mic which is also detachable from the rest of the headset.
    I'll probably be around the Discord more often than i log in here honestly so feel free to shoot me a message any time my name is of course Pestilence and i'd be happy to chat with any one of you.

-P

A cheep alternative that I usually use is a set of inexpensive Earbuds with a mic. My laptop has the right size plug in and they work great for gaming on a VTT.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I caved.

I got this one: https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Blue...ess+headphones

Thanks to the wonders of Amazon Prime, it'll be in my sweaty little hands on Friday! On sale for more than half off - well worth it, I think.

I feel like ou put too much effort for looking a mic.... really, the cheapest will do.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast