Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Official Guild Discord Server!

Really the times when mics were really bad is over, now the standard for low quality ones is good enough for casual use. More problem can make bad sound card without any options rather than mic. But i guess the standards for those are also ok now.

There is absolutely no point in buying expensive one, unless you are making videos on daily basis for YT or you are an online gamer etc.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Oh, you'll be sorry if you ever let me sing, that's for damn sure XD Can't hold a key to save my life, but that sure as hell ain't gonna stop me from screaming horrible one-woman rendetions of One More Day from Les Mis...
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Ummmm.....

Has anyone else noticed a drain on their broadband since installing the Discord app?

Mine is metered, so I have been obliged to uninstal the app. It automatically loads itself on startup, and I can't find any controls to stop it from doing that.

Its the only 'drawback' I've found so far, and it won't affect anyone who isn't on metered BB anyway

I don't think the voice channels work in Firefox, so it looks like I won't be entertaining you with my personal rendition of "We all Live on a Yellow Submarine", or the Chicken Song
    Last edited by Mouse; 12-28-2017 at 04:56 AM.

I can't for the life of me remember where (and I'm not in a place to check right now), but there IS a way to stop Discord from launching automatically, I'm sure of it. I had it installed on my previous computer, and remember being able to turn said feature off.

Anyone with a better memory than me?
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

It seems to suck on the BB juice at a steady rate of about 1MB every minute, which is quite a lot for an app in 'idle' state. I was quite surprised at the amount it was guzzling.

I know its Discord that's doing it, since the moment I shut it down the meter stops going around on its own. It only moves then if I refresh a page, or open a new one.

Unfortunately, to make up for the loss of an entire GB against my daily allowance by reducing my usage to an absolute minimum, I've had to stay away from the Discord site altogether, and block the adverts on this page for a while.

I will be back on Discord in my browser in a couple of weeks time - when I'm not so 'overspent' on my BB account.

Guild Apprentice

Not sure if it's different on Mac or Linux but on windows you can:
    open the discord app and go into your user settings (bottom right the little gear icon) Select "Windows Settings" and under "System Startup Behavior" the first option should be "Open Discord" if it is currently to the right click on it to turn it off and discord should no longer open on startup. Good luck!

-P

Mouse, for me (at least) there is no drain at all.
    As for the start up there are two methods. First disable startup in Discord options as Pestilence said.
    or
    Open task manager and in the startup tab disable the Discord.

Either way, that will not fix your drain problem if it really is because of Discord.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Thanks

I don't know anything more than you do about how to do that on Linux.

Meanwhile, I can't actually use my old Windows partition except totally off-line, since even though I have taken every measure to prevent Win 10 from updating without my permission, it too is eating my broadband with some new confoundedly HUGE automatic download. (They can be as large as 3GB in one go)

And this despite my having ticked the 'metered broadband' box.

I can see a day coming in the not too distant future when I only ever log onto that partition when I'm offline.

However, back to the Discord issue.

Once I'm 'back in the black' on my BB account I will reinstall Discord on my Linux partition and see if I can't find that setting

EDIT: Just to clarify - I'm talking about the drain caused by the downloaded and installed Discord app, not the webpage. The page itself seems to behave itself fine. I can use Discord through Firefox, but I can't join in any voice things. Firefox isn't supported. I'm not keen on installing an alternative browser just to solve that one problem, since with the new java control add on in Firefox I'm feeling a whole lot more secure - very very happy with Firefox
    Last edited by Mouse; 12-28-2017 at 06:28 AM.

Guild Apprentice

Firefox is a great browser, but i find chrome works best for pretty much everything (in my own opinion of course, i use both of them and enjoy both of them) As for your broadband issue, i'm not exactly sure how metered broadband works (for this reason i'm going to assume it works something like mobile data). On a windows 10 computer, i do believe there is actually an option when you're in settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi or settings > Network & Internet > Ethernet click on the name of your connection, and turn on "metered connection" Which should give you more control over your bandwidth usage for that specific connection. Windows 10 as a whole is rather bandwidth heavy and to be quite honest i can't stand it, i'm still mainly using Win7 myself. Just to clarify i don't use Win10 very often so if any of my information is incorrect please forgive me.
    Good luck Mouse!
    -P

Thank you Pestilence.

I get 20GB data allowance each month for a very cheap rate. I keep a careful eye on how much I've used each day because the tariff if I go over that amount is absolutely horrendous. I am currently running 1GB ahead of myself for this stage of my tariff month (which starts and ends on 21st of each month).

Win 10 has been set to metered broadband for a while now. That doesn't stop Win 10 downloading the first half a GB of whatever it is that it keeps trying to download automatically, every time I go online from Win 10. That particular OS has made of itself a dead donkey as far as I am concerned, and as soon as I can work out how to make all my apps work in Linux, Win 10 will cease to exist on my PC.

I would install Chrome on Linux, only I had it installed before in Win 8.1, only to uninstall it a few months later. I can't remember why I did that, but there must have been a pretty good reason. I don't generally uninstall an app unless its causing a major problem for me.
    Last edited by Mouse; 12-28-2017 at 07:44 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast