Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [country] Map 58: Yilseudor (WIP)

Well, I decided to change my text and text labels to differing shades of blue, with the lightest turquoise glow behind it. I also raised the level of the glow so that it would stand out a bit. I then added a lighted bevel to my text and text labels to make them a bit more defined. I also found a much simpler font to use for the smaller print. I will leave the fancy font for the Title itself.

Azelor, unfortunately, as far as I know... you can't blur symbols in cc3+. not unless you hand draw them... which I just don't have the talent for. But I hope these labels are better. I also added more by the way of labels.

All I have left to do, is add my scale, my copyright, and my title, and this map will be complete. I'm also trying to decide if I'm going to keep the map border or not. I have a really cool idea, but I don't know if it will work. I will be trying it soon.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yilseudor13.lrg.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	657.5 KB 
ID:	106628

until then, I hope you enjoy!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Well, not exactly blurring the element but inserting a layer just like you did. It would look better if you used the same colour as the land or sea, in my opinion.

About the border (personal preference): I try to avoid this kind of border unless the scale is accurate and indicate the latitude/longitude coordinate. Otherwise, to make this simple, I stick with a wooden kind of frame.
    Or something more fancy.

Actually, I'm thinking of removing the border all together, and allow the ocean color to fade out to the parchment background. I haven't decided yet.
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

I agree with Azelor, this map would look good with a textured or fancy border.

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    Well, I decided to change my text and text labels to differing shades of blue, with the lightest turquoise glow behind it. I also raised the level of the glow so that it would stand out a bit. I then added a lighted bevel to my text and text labels to make them a bit more defined. I also found a much simpler font to use for the smaller print. I will leave the fancy font for the Title itself.
    ??????

On all three of our computers, the text comes up black, not blue (at least in the CG JPG conversion), but that's all right. Black looks fine. Everything is easily readable now, which is a substantial improvement.

RE: The Border, which is generating a lot of comment. The current black and white border, from my point of view, does nothing to enhance the map,. but it doesn't really damage it either. However, if it were my map, I would go with no border at all.

Nix für Ungut! Servus!
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Lol... the border that is there, is the one that came with this particular style. There's nothing wrong with it... and it would work perfectly if this was a black and white map, like it's 'supposed' to be...

And if this was a stand alone map, I would probably keep the border. But this map is going into the guild world atlas... which is why I'm thinking of no border at all... I still haven't decided yet.
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

I believe Redrobes trims to the extent of the map, cutting out everything else but the land. This is to insert the land alone into the uniformly coloured ocean of the world.

So none of the trimmings on your personal copy of the map will appear in the world map. That means you can do your map how you want it to look as a stand alone map in your portfolio, Storm

Well, here it is. Yilseudor is finally complete!

Thanks to everyone for your insights and comments along the way, I enjoyed them all!
    And now, the final installment of my guild world project.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yilseudor14.JPGlrg.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	668.4 KB 
ID:	106736
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I’m very glad you finished your island ! It’s a nice add to the project with a beautiful map.

I’m not sure, but I think you have to send a copy of your map, with just the land (without border, sea, compass, etc.) So redrobe can copy and paste your island to the whole map

I'll catch up with him and find out. Thanks JO!
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast