Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [country] Map 58: Yilseudor (WIP)

Wip [country] Map 58: Yilseudor (WIP)

I know I said I couldn't start this until after the first of the year, but I needed to take a break from the gift making, and I was bored just sitting at my computer, so I started fiddling around with my country.

Since my color wash map https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=39980 seems to be well received, I decided to continue refining and tweaking by using the technique for this map, Yilseudor. I thought it would work well for the guild world map.

I discovered that Mike Schley's Inks is not the only black and white symbol set available for cc3+, so this map is going to be a lot different from the first. The symbol set I'm using this time is much bolder than Mike Schley's delicate lines, so the color tints need to be a little more intense as well. I'm also keeping in mind that the rivers and lakes in my Cordeauna Island map were a little too washed out, so I'm doing something a little different with them this time. Instead of the bluring and trancparency I'm using a much smaller edge fade with soft glow effect the same shade as my rivers and lakes. this will soften the edges, without washing out the color tint too much. I'm also using multiple color tints to show the varying elevations. This with a different parchment base, I'm using one of Mouse's parchments, should bring a different color palette than the one I used before. I don't know how these differences are going to turn out... but it should definitely be interesting!

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yilseudor3.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	482.5 KB 
ID:	102339
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

This is already looking promising Storm (:

Well, I already have my land, ocean, sea, lakes and rivers... so now it's time to start on my forest regions. I've started adding my conifer forests, and it's interesting(to me, at least) to see how the different symbol sets in cc3+ bring about different map styles, apart from the obvious differences in the symbols, themselves.

For those of you that have seen my 'regular' maps, you may have noticed that when it comes to placing terrain symbols, such as mountains and forests, I tend to spread my symbols out a bit, meaning there's a little space in between each of my symbols. With my Cordeauna Island map, I changed it up abit, and the symbols were 'bunched' together to create a seamless look to my mountains and forests. The delicate lines of Mike Schley's Inks look best that way, in my opinion.

But as I said before, the symbol sets I'm using for this color wash map are bolder, more pronounced than Schley's beautiful lines. Don't get me wrong, these symbols have their own beauty... it's just a bolder, simpler, more intense beauty. So for this map, I had to go back to my spacing, so that the trees and mountains would be distinguishable midst the color wash. So here is my latest update.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Yilseudor4.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	553.7 KB 
ID:	102419
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Well, it may be Christmas, but that doesn't mean I can't still get some mapping done! I'm still working on my newest color wash map, and maybe third time will be the charm! I've started working on my deciduous forests, and added a mixed forest into the continent. There won't be a lot of those... but at this point, my terrain is mostly complete. After these forests, I will have a bit of a jungle region, and I have to figure out how to work in a desert for this continent. Then all I have left is my civilization, and my roads, perhaps a port, or two, and I will be finished. Oh, and of course, let's not forget my labels...

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Yilseudor5.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	599.4 KB 
ID:	102594
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Okay, well for those of you who don't know... I had to put my mapping on hold...again... because my laptop was fried caused, in part, by a mischievous cat, named Loki, who decided to live up to his name!

I finally got a new laptop, and it took a while for me to get cc3+ installed and back to the way I had it. But I now have it set up, and I'm taking up where I left off, with this color wash map.

I have my dessert set, and I've started in on my structures. I still haven't added my jungle region, mostly because I'm not sure where I want to put it... either between the dessert and the coast, or between the two southern mountain regions. I also need to set my color tint for the structures, but still, there is progress. So here it is, so far.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Yilseudor8.JPGLRG.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	561.7 KB 
ID:	106277
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Once again, it's great to see you back again.

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    I have my dessert set,
    Great! But if you're inviting us all for dessert, please accept my regrets. I'm not much for sweet stuff.

Nix für Ungut!

Have fun!

Servus,
    Last edited by Mark Oliva; 04-09-2018 at 04:12 PM.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

omg!!! Did I do that? Wow, yes I did! That's what happens when you don't get much sleep! I haven't been sleeping too well, recently. But the desert looks pretty good!
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

I'm still working on this map, and I have decided that this island continent isn't as populated as perhaps some of the others. To that end, my cities, towns and villages are mostly spread out. I'm still trying to decide whether this region has one giant kingdom, or a few smaller ones. I have, however, worked on my coastline just a bit, I've added some of my towns and cities, and I've decided that my jungle is going to be in the region between my two southernmost mountain areas, leaving the region closest to the desert to be arid scrubland. I still have to set up a few villages in that scrubland area, but I've got a good start on things.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Yilseudor9.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	913.0 KB 
ID:	106325
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Glad to see you back on this, Storm !

Well, I'm almost finished with this map, but I've hit a snag I have to figure out.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Yilseudor10.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	241.9 KB 
ID:	106577

I've added the rest of my settlements and my jungle. But for some reason, my color wash isn't working for my jungle, even though I've done it the same way as the rest of my map. My jungle symbols aren't color washed, they remain white. It's probably something stupid I missed, and I have a couple of ideas, I just have to fiddle with it a bit more.

Once I figure this out, I still have my roads to do, and I have to decide whether this is one big country, or a continent that is broken up into smaller kingdoms. Then of course, I need to finish the detailing on my coastlines and do my labeling, and then I will be finished!

So enjoy!
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast