Page 5 of 77 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Ilanthar's tests & sketches

I was admiring the labels on this challenge map and I wanted to try some "scripture" by myself... along with testing some brush of Krita.

Here's what I have so far. Not sure it's fitting for maps and change in size in any way, though.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Font test.jpeg 
Views:	126 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	103739

Looks interesting

I think the only way to get a really good script working well for you is just to get hold of a few calligraphy tutorials for the style you prefer, and practice, practice, practice.

I can do a fairly good medieval gothic script myself, but that's only because I learned how to do it back at school in art lessons, and its not really much good for maps.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I was admiring the labels on this challenge map and I wanted to try some "scripture" by myself... along with testing some brush of Krita.

Here's what I have so far. Not sure it's fitting for maps and change in size in any way, though.

Name:	Font test.jpeg 
Views:	126 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	103739
    Those scripts are great! I think all the styles could find a use… I really like the bigger Egishirgal a lot, it would work for titles probably. Is it drawn with a brush in single strokes, or is there more going on there? Thanks for sharing your inspirational lettering.

Cheers,
    Meshon

Thanks to both of you .

@Mouse : yup, you're right. I just lost the habit to write correctly since I'm not a student anymore...
    @Meshon : Yeah, it's a brush that's not meant to be used like this, I suppose. I had to do single light-handed and quick strokes, if I recall well.

Nice! I did some of that for a couple commission maps years ago... but mostly not directly onto the map. That happened once with an Iceland map I did in pen and I had to do it over a few times because of mistakes. So for one project I lettered all the written words for the maps onto paper and if I messed up a letter I just did it again in the word until it looked ok and then continued and edited it all in photoshop and placed each word where it should be. Then later I just lettered the alphabet with a few options for some letters on paper then scanned and built the words in photoshop using the individual letters. Practicing until I got better probably would have been a faster process though.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Thanks, Chashio! It's just some tests. I often feel it may be a time saver to actually write myself, but each time I tried, it turns out I lost time... So, tests & practices seems to be a way to change that, or at least, to find a way to write efficiently.

I'm skiing during this week, so... I'm not very present & productive. But, I've working some of my backgrounds lately, mainly Eldoran, and I've done some tests to do some page decoration.
    Those are the two frame that I've done. The right one is a bit strangely balanced, I guess...
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	MeP.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	370.8 KB 
ID:	104525

I'm amazed by those ! I could only dream to do something this gorgeous. My favorite part is your signature pet being mischievous on the left one

Merci beaucoup ! I took some inspiration here and there.

Working on my Eldoran world again, I'm trying to do some sketches of the different common sentient species (there are 22 in addition to the humans). Also trying different thing for the top-down topography.

Name:	eldoran species.jpeg 
Views:	79 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	105358
    For those interested, Aristeans are close to humans but with almost no nose, some bee like abilities & senses (empathic, mainly). A very community oriented people.
    Eduen are "burning" people, made of polished hard material, with some inner fire that burns on top of their head when they are awake and very active.
    Haldjas are plant people, very different according to the places & latitude they are living (they are also veehaldjas, plant people of the waters).

Not really satisfied by the previous tests, so, I'm redoing them with more care and new tests on character design. I think I will do some kind of sheet with a general view and some close-up for the head and potentially other parts of interest.
    Working on the asterian again.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	asterian.jpeg 
Views:	52 
Size:	876.7 KB 
ID:	105702

Page 5 of 77 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast