Page 54 of 77 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Thread: Ilanthar's tests & sketches

Thanks a bunch, KaiAieon!

Testing a full painted one on a martian theme. This is the very first steps.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Second bloc.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	377.7 KB 
ID:	130260

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Those cubes look amazing! I believe this may be the 3rd or 4th time I am telling myself I have got to try something in that style (you guys make it look so easy and great)!

Also, it might be good to add a couple more solid layers at the bottom of the jade sea one. The transition from sea to rock is a tad sharp and I imagine there would be a layer of sand or mud or something (and maybe a few different rock layers). Just an idea though!

Hi Ilanthar ! Could you give my some advice ? I want to learn how to draw mountains like the ones you did page 41-42 of this thread (I don't know how to link images directly).
    The styles I'm talking about are the sketchy one on the Serkonos map, and the one almost "satelite viewed" on the map shared just after.

A tutorial would be superarchicalifragilistiexpialidocious ! But just some explanations about what lines drawing first, how to shade properly to give a feeling of steepness could hemp me !

I just seen all the work you did on this sketchbook and it's truly marvellous ! And inspirationnal without beeing "too much" to stand, because it's visible how you improve your work from the beggining of this thread, and we novices can project our own improvement to come !

EDIT : I tried a bit to understand what's going on in those styles. I may have found the way to do it (or at least the path leading this way). But GOSH this is so hard. I don't draw usually, exept form map, and only since a few month.

I try to percieve the 3rd dimension while drawing, to put the shadows in the right place but DARN it's like trying to catch an eel on a ice rink with mittens covered in oil and soap. It sometimes click and most of the time don't.

Name:	IMG_20210625_160741.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	2.86 MB 
ID:	130303Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210625_160733.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	3.03 MB 
ID:	130302
    Last edited by Skaald; 06-25-2021 at 04:48 PM.

By Skaald
    Hi Ilanthar ! Could you give my some advice ? I want to learn how to draw mountains like the ones you did page 41-42 of this thread (I don't know how to link images directly).
    The styles I'm talking about are the sketchy one on the Serkonos map, and the one almost "satelite viewed" on the map shared just after.

A tutorial would be superarchicalifragilistiexpialidocious ! But just some explanations about what lines drawing first, how to shade properly to give a feeling of steepness could hemp me !

I just seen all the work you did on this sketchbook and it's truly marvellous ! And inspirationnal without beeing "too much" to stand, because it's visible how you improve your work from the beggining of this thread, and we novices can project our own improvement to come !

EDIT : I tried a bit to understand what's going on in those styles. I may have found the way to do it (or at least the path leading this way). But GOSH this is so hard. I don't draw usually, exept form map, and only since a few month.

I try to percieve the 3rd dimension while drawing, to put the shadows in the right place but DARN it's like trying to catch an eel on a ice rink with mittens covered in oil and soap. It sometimes click and most of the time don't.
    Sorry, I don't pass here as often as before.
    Well, I took inspiration from Batat's incredible work (here at the guild, here's one example). And it seems to me you're on the right track, your sketches are pretty good.
    It's mainly a matter of defining the main ridges and light direction. And most importantly : practice, practice, practice...

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    Those cubes look amazing! I believe this may be the 3rd or 4th time I am telling myself I have got to try something in that style (you guys make it look so easy and great)!

Also, it might be good to add a couple more solid layers at the bottom of the jade sea one. The transition from sea to rock is a tad sharp and I imagine there would be a layer of sand or mud or something (and maybe a few different rock layers). Just an idea though!
    Damnit, I miss your comment. Thanks Arimel! Well, tbh, I'm just trying things here, with no real method nor precise idea/direction....
    The full painted one is more satisfying for learning, I suppose. I still took inspiration from photographs, but more for colours and general look. Hence, I should get less problems of transitions you're talking about on the first one.
    And step 2, base lights & shadows on the landscape.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Views:	19 
Size:	494.2 KB 
ID:	130356

Step 3. Don't know what I'm doing anymore, so, probably a good thing to stop there and go to sleep...
    ### Latest WIP ###

Views:	33 
Size:	562.5 KB 
ID:	130362

Lovely lovely work. I'm a huge fan of these almost diorama style illustrations.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Lovely lovely work. I'm a huge fan of these almost diorama style illustrations.
    Thank you very much, Josiah!
    Well, I've added some watery elements and corrected a few things. I'm calling this done, unless you see something very wrong.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Views:	56 
Size:	516.0 KB 
ID:	130368

Changed my system of rule, doing an adaptation of the one I developed for my Nightfall setting.
    Hence, the work on a somewhat new character sheet.

Name:	Testfiche p1.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	130415Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Testfiche p2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	130416Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Testfiche p3.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	130417

O_O That's sooo beautiful ! I want to play your RPG just to have this character sheet in front of me during the game !
    The mechanical hearth in the first page is especially fine ! If I had to make a character sheet for the Dishonored roleplaying game, I think I may try do do somethning like this.

And i love your borders. Always a wonder.
    Last edited by Skaald; 07-09-2021 at 01:55 PM.

Page 54 of 77 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast