Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: An atlas of fantasy mapping

If it's decided at any point (I'll let you discuss with the legal things, guys !), I'm in too ^^

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    If it's decided at any point (I'll let you discuss with the legal things, guys !), I'm in too ^^
    Haha, I'm with you on this one Beee!

Great to hear this idea come up again!

By Wingshaw
    Regarding the profit, this is one idea that occurs to me: the profits of the book could be provided to the guild (aka Robbie) either for the purpose of being redistributed privately to the individual mapmakers, or, if that is too legally challenging, to help support the guild financially. I'm sure there are many mapmakers out there who would be happy to allow their work to sponsor this website, and, if it does raise the profile of our craft, then the individuals could cash in on that with private collections of their own.
    I was kinda thinking the same. We have already discuss the possibility to produce something in the Guild's name to help it finance it in the past. But, I'm definitely not a lawyer, so, I don't know if it's that much an easier option.

We must take into account that non-profit (whether it's for the Guild or not) will most likely cost money anyway. Are we sure we want to spend our time and money on something that will not generate any profit, even to cover at least its costs ?
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    We must take into account that non-profit (whether it's for the Guild or not) will most likely cost money anyway. Are we sure we want to spend our time and money on something that will not generate any profit, even to cover at least its costs ?
    Speaking only for myself, I'd be very happy to spend *some* of my time and money on this project without any financial reward, simply because I think it's a really cool idea and I'd love to have my name on something like this.

That said, you mentioned kickstarter previously, and I think that could be a good place to start. I also have never run a kickstarter, but I'm keen to give it a try, and learn how to do it.

Honestly, I think the biggest challenge that will be faced with this project is figuring out which maps *not* to include.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    Honestly, I think the biggest challenge that will be faced with this project is figuring out which maps *not* to include.

Wingshaw
    Haha, that is so very true !
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

I'd say this is a fine idea. A mix of traditional (ink on paper) maps, and maps made using computer software or tablets. I'd say I second this, but since almost 20 people have agreed already, I think I'll twenty-first this.

I'd be happy to contribute something.

One thing to keep in mind for a print ready book is getting the basic technical stuff out of the way early on. The dimensions, how many pages, any copy that is needed, whether you want new maps or old maps and what their dimensions and such need to be, is the guild doing the layout or someone else, etc etc.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

I know NOTHING about publishing, but wouldn't Jared Blando?
    Would be awesome to hold a CG map book in your hands!

Okay, I'm totally in! As Wingshaw said, I'm not against investing some money and time in this book, as long as it doesn't cost a fortune. I'm also not against the non-profit idea. To me this would be more like a product made out of love for maps, rather than financial interest.

Deciding what (sort of) maps to include will be tough. I'd say we dedicate sections of the atlas to different kinds of map ( someting along the lines of Space & Scifi, World & Regional, Town & City, Structure & Technical etc.). However, that's stuff to discuss later, as we would first need to figure out how we're actually going to make this happen.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast