Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: An atlas of fantasy mapping

Quote Originally Posted by MapMappingMapped View Post
    Would be awesome to hold a CG map book in your hands!
    That is actually a nice idea to promote CG. If we could publish it, no matter if for profit or not, the name of the book could be "Cartographer's Guild Maps" or something like that with the clear intention of advertising the Guild.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    Deciding what (sort of) maps to include will be tough. I'd say we dedicate sections of the atlas to different kinds of map ( someting along the lines of Space & Scifi, World & Regional, Town & City, Structure & Technical etc.). However, that's stuff to discuss later, as we would first need to figure out how we're actually going to make this happen.
    Regarding what should be included, perhaps each contributing artist is given a certain number of maps they're allowed to submit. For example, maybe each mapmaker gets to submit 3 maps in total. That way, the amount is fairly divided across all contributors, and I think it'd be a pretty safe bet that there'd be a mix of types/styles in there. Perhaps we could make sure of differences by saying that, of the 3 maps permitted, there have to be at least 2 types represented - for example.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Like Beee, I think I shall leave the finer points of the legal stuff to you smarter guys...

But I am absolutely in, and I for one would be perfectly fine having one or more of my maps in there even if the book were sold and I'd receive no profit from it. I agree with Voolf, I think it would be fantastic to have the Guild promoted like this, (and like he said, make it clear in the book that that is who we are) and for that I'm more than willing to spend effort and money on. What a great idea!
    Last edited by Kellerica; 11-16-2018 at 01:24 AM.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I'm still in.

Although my original proposition focused more on the different styles/techniques than on complete maps.
    But it doesn't matter much.
    In my opinion, it should include a broad range of maps.
    Last edited by Azélor; 11-15-2018 at 11:34 PM.

Hi all, thought I'd keep this thread alive to make sure it doesn't go quiet for another year.

So the first thing that clearly needs to be discussed is the legal side. A while ago there was a member that offered some great advice on how to set up a contract for commissions. Seemed to know a lot about it. I assume thisnis a different kind of legal stuff, but reaching out to that person could be a start. I don't remember their name, but I'm sure we can trace them. Or if anyone else knows about this sort of thing, or known anyone who does, that be good too.

I'd say that if we want to make this happen without another year passing by, we should start there and from there on we can continue to talk about the contents and the layout of the book. I'm sure, with the size of the guild, that we can find almost any sort of person that we might need for this within the guilds network. For example, I know that Mystic Wings also does page layout, besides cartography.

That would be aeshnidae who offered all that great legal advice (sticky thread in this sub-forum).
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Just for the record, I do the occasional page layout as well, I might be willing to take a stab at this if needed
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I agree with Dan that we shouldn't allow this idea to just lie dormant for another year. I'm not sure the legal aspect is the first thing to deal with: after all, it is going to be dependent on what maps, which mapmakers, what agreements exist for those artworks etc.

I think a different sequence could be:
    1- creating a team to organise and manage the project (incl. signed agreements) and creating a decision-making system
    2- defining the project (the purpose of the atlas, the scope of the atlas, the contents of the atlas)
    3- negotiating with artists to include work/s (with all that entails, such as legal etc.)
    4- marketing/publicising (both pre- and post-production)
    5- production (incl. book and page design, writing intros/summaries)
    6- distribution (incl. printing and selling)

At some stage, I think, we'd also need to figure out: what schedule we're working towards, how to finance this (eg kickstarter) and how to resolve the profit/legal side of things.

Wingshaw

I don't know guys. I like the idea as well but what a bunch of work someone is going to have to do.

Isn't it CG Society that has a magazine that gets printed like once a year or something with a bunch of art works from the year? I'm sure they have to have done some sort of agreements for that.

Also, are we guaranteeing everyone gets a map in the book? It seems like there ought to be SOME sort of selection process. Obviously, we are supportive of everyone but if you expect outsiders to PAY for a book it does need to meet a certain quality level.

What about the guild atlas since that's already works sort of donated to the guild? (even tho I need to wrap mine up...what a lazy..)

Someone mentioned Jared Blando and while he posts finished maps here he also sells his own books.

It seems like a lot of legwork but I'm not an expert in these things. My only experience in life says if you want to do something in business don't have any partners unless you absolutely have to.

If it does get rolling however I think it would be cool to have something of mine in print. (That's saying I pass the quality test I myself mentioned above )
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

You're right, Jax, that it is a lot of work, but I think it can be done and it should be done.

I don't think we'd have too much difficulty finding volunteers to work on this (provided it is clear from day 1 how much work is going to need to be put into it). Speaking strictly for myself, I am very keen to put in the time and effort to make this work, and primarily just because I really want to see it happen and to be a part of making it happen. Having my name attached to a book would also just be absolutely cool

Other issues can be worked out: the selection process, for example, could be solved without too much difficulty. I think the crucial thing is having a formally agreed team to direct it all, and to make the decisions that need to be made - some of those decisions will be unpopular, and a completely democratic process doesn't work very well when tough decisions need to be made. There will most likely be people who want to include their works, and will not be selected - that's unfortunate, but it has to happen. However, the book could make a special point of directing readers to the website, so that everyone can share in the publicity that is generated.

I don't think that we should allow these obstacles to stall the project; not now that there seems to be real energy available to see this through.

Wingshaw

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast