Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: An atlas of fantasy mapping

Discuss An atlas of fantasy mapping

This is something I have been thinking for some time already.
    I'm looking for an atlas of the different styles and techniques used in today's fantasy cartography.
    Older maps could still be worth it.

There are some books available but I was wondering if someone had recommendation since I don't have physical access to these books. Examples:
    A bit old: https://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Fantasy.../dp/0345273990
    https://www.amazon.ca/Here-Be-Dragon.../dp/081957323X

If there is no satisfying work on the topic...

Actually, my real proposition is to make our own atlas.
    It doesn't have to end up as a published work but it might have that potential.

I did try it 2 and a half years ago here: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=26460
    The idea wasn't well executed maybe. I was trying to make a map combining as many styles as possible.

This time, it might work better by having separate maps, ideally focusing on individual style or element.
    Some details about the tools and techniques used might be a good addition too.
    For example, it would have 1 section featuring only trees with different ways to represent them on a map.

Ideally, this work would need to be as inclusive as possible, trying to include a broad range of styles.
    Also, we would have to reach out artists that are outside the Guild to include them as well. Unless we decide to focus only on the Guild's content.
    The latter is easier but misses a lot of good artists.

Another suggestion, not necessarily related, would be to make a list of map making communities and artists as a sticky for future reference.

Guild Expert

I would love to see a book full of all the greatest Cartographer's Guild maps from over the years, would save me having to go on the computer every time I'm in need of inspiration. Like a great big coffee table book full of maps. It would be neat to have something like this for sale right here at the guild and the profits could go to funding the web site... I would definitely buy something like that.

Oh aye, I'll second kacey!!! That would be awesome! And as long as we're at it, how about a book with removable posters, that one could hang on their walls? I'd personally be willing to spend a lot of money on that, as I seem to have never grown out of that teenage phase of covering my walls with pictures and posters...
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I think this is a wonderful idea and it has a lot of potential to become popular among enthusiasts and hobbyists.
    Collaborative Storytelling and Worldbuilding
    Freeform fantasy and sci-fi
    www.LostPathway.com

I just remembered that deadshade has already started something similar for forests
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=31892

I also love the idea. There was a thread about making an atlas from cg users maps. I forgot the name of a person who wanted to kickstarted it, but i remember J.E. was supposed to work with him. Unfortunately the thread died many months ago.

Edit. It was this thread.
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=37289
    Last edited by Voolf; 01-02-2018 at 11:29 PM.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

That is a good find. I've completely forgot that thread.
    Sounds like a similar idea.

Hey Guild - Is this something we should try to resurrect?
    There are some options now that might make it easier.
    We would have to work out some financial and legal issues, but is this something we should try?

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Hey Guild - Is this something we should try to resurrect?
    There are some options now that might make it easier.
    We would have to work out some financial and legal issues, but is this something we should try?
    I am totally on board with this project, and, if I can make it fit my schedule, would be happy to take an active role in it. I've been wanting to see something like this for years, but never had the time to get to it.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

I'm in of course

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast