Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A space map: Valhalla Orbital Complex - by Francissimo

Congrats Francissimo for this map and your CC. A well deserved one for an amazing SF map.

Wow i just noticed i had a map nominated, it truly is a great honor to join the cartographers choice!
    I've spent hours wandering in that part of the forum, getting inspiration from those beautifull piece of art. Having one of my maps selected to be here makes me really happy and proud
    A big thanks for this nomination and the kind comments in the thread, i'm so glad to be a part of this community

Quote Originally Posted by Francissimo View Post
    Wow i just noticed i had a map nominated, it truly is a great honor to join the cartographers choice!
    I've spent hours wandering in that part of the forum, getting inspiration from those beautifull piece of art. Having one of my maps selected to be here makes me really happy and proud
    A big thanks for this nomination and the kind comments in the thread, i'm so glad to be a part of this community
    No thanks are needed Francissimo, you well and truly deserve it! It would have been a crime for this map NOT to be CC. It's bloody brilliant.

I wish I could do stuff like this, but just looking at your WIP thread made my head throb. Apart from the mention of layers and blending modes it was so far above my head the discussion may as well have been taking place in the station you rendered!
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

The map is beautiful overall, but it seems you’ve taken some design elements directly from Deep Space Nine, in particular the Commercial and Habitation rings. The Hanging Gardens module also seems to draw heavily from one of the ships from the Colonial Fleet in the new Battlestar Galactica.

Post Great Choice!

Absolutely stunning work. Clearly well thought and planned.

Thanks for the comments guys

Quote Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
    The map is beautiful overall, but it seems you’ve taken some design elements directly from Deep Space Nine, in particular the Commercial and Habitation rings. The Hanging Gardens module also seems to draw heavily from one of the ships from the Colonial Fleet in the new Battlestar Galactica.
    Yep that's right, i explained in the wip thread that i used elements from sketchup 3D wharehouse, including a part of the beautifull deep space nine station. The hanging gardens aren't from battlestar galactica but were a part of the valley forge from the movie Silent running. The sketchup part of the map was kinda like playing lego, i took various parts of existing models, cut them in pieces and put all this together.

i love this. Great job.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Well done!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Applicant Guild Supporter

nice work.
    I really like the alternative language
    Hope to see more of this work

The only thing that excites me more than seeing an SF piece introduced as Cartographers' Choice is to see this particular map on the front page of the Guild. It's not just an extraordinary map, it's everything the space map should be, with all those believable details and, above all, amazing atmosphere. Congrats, Francissimo!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast