Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 06 - Arjille

Wip 06 - Arjille

My third district yay! The name is a contraction of Aru and jille, which means in Dravidian languages: district 6.
    I plan to do something different compared to the 2 previous ones.
    It will be something like my Nine Kingdoms (pixel art) but top down and more detailed : https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=40590
    I've included a sample of a regular house from district 20 (Northern Gate) to compare the size.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arjille 1.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	427.5 KB 
ID:	106970

I already have most of the elements in place style-wise.
    It is one of the smallest district of the city.
    It is pretty rich, with no markets but several shoppes.

Prominent features:
    1 tower : not too high but still
    1 small temple
    1 manor or more with garden
    a few large houses for rich people
    a steep cliff, I think it's 50 m high but I'm not sure
    2 holes in the cliff, holes can be a touristic attraction https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perc%C3%A9_Rock
    possibly a waterfront area/plaza/promenade, the rock is not solid enough to place buildings on.
    another plaza in the north to complete the existing one from White Hill.

And that's it, I don't have a specific vision for the district outside these things.

That sounds plenty to me!

Interesting plan you have there.

I will add your thread to the index for you

I started working on a technique to save time regarding the roof textures.
    Buildings at different angles need to have roof tiles in the corresponding angle, or it will look silly. The problem with White hill was that I used plenty of angles and finding the angle of each building was a chore.
    But now I can plan the city with that in mind. Because of the method I'm using, I only have 3 possible angles so far.

The idea is that I want to use (with the duplication tools) a couple of premade textures for each angle, mix them and sometimes add some variation manually.
    Or maybe even better, paint every building with a color according to it's angle, each angle on a separate layer. And then applying a texture for each layer corresponding with the angle. But I haven't tested it with a seamless texture yet.

Sounds interesting

I'm having trouble visualising what you mean, so I'm looking forward to the second WIP image

Aaaah. I see

Clever stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Sounds interesting

I'm having trouble visualising what you mean, so I'm looking forward to the second WIP image
    Nah, I'm not there yet and it might take some time.

It looks more complicated than what I had in mind maybe. I mean it could be worth it but would take time to set up properly.
    Thanks for the idea, I might try it later.

On another note, I've finished the draft of the layout. I used my half finished Jerusalem map to help me with the building placement. I've indicated roads/streets in green although a lot will be hidden under building on the final map.
    I should have a little over 100 buildings. That's almost a third of the buildings I had in White Hill.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arjille 2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	459.7 KB 
ID:	106976
    Last edited by Azélor; 05-12-2018 at 12:11 AM.

Nice variation in size and shape.

It ties in really well with Ilanthar's plot next door

I like your original draft and I'm totally with Mouse on his comment: the road network is really well integrated with the surrounding sections.

I'm still in love with this city and I wish I could devote time to finish my section and pick a second one - I'm envious that you're ahead on a third. envious in a non-negative way, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    I like your original draft and I'm totally with Mouse on his comment: the road network is really well integrated with the surrounding sections.

I'm still in love with this city and I wish I could devote time to finish my section and pick a second one - I'm envious that you're ahead on a third. envious in a non-negative way, of course.
    Integrating the street network with the neighbours is easier than planning streets out of nothing in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast