Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Felmyr Place Names (WIP)

I had never considered how ridiculous some of these names must sound to the French

My first thought when I saw 'Elvis' in Voldemort's name was 'Bit contrived.'

And my second thought was 'Really? more contrived than Marvolo?'

Still, the jeu du sort part is really impressive

Country Names (continued)

I mentioned that I had an idea regarding place names in one of the countries in Felmyr, the three island group off the coast of Midleset named Clover. It's to do with an invented script to represent the native language and I'm in the process of figuring out how to use it for place names on maps of the region without cluttering up the locations too much. I can use an example to explain.

Clover Script

Much like I explained how I'm trying to evoke certain markers with Midleset and Grimmsmouth, I'm trying to create a certain feeling around Clover, too. As stated earlier, I've decided to use the Irish language as part of the basis of this. But I'm trying to compliment that with an alphabet I've created to allow me represent the language on maps. It's based off of Ogham, which was used to write the early Irish language. It survives today as stone inscriptions.

I've messed around with this for quite a while and here's my final alphabet:
    Attachment 107465

And here are a few example place names from Clover written in that script. The direct English translations are above and the Irish is to the left:
    Attachment 107466

I hope you can see my intention. If not, my idea might not be coming across particularly well. I'm trying to take the visual of linear vertical inscriptions from stones and represent them as fragile branches or twigs. I'm hoping this ties in with how I want to present the country at a high level; a type of untamed land steeped in legend and old ways.

If you have any feedback on that I'd genuinely love to hear it. My hope with this thread is to gain an insight from others

Practical Use

I've tried finding examples of maps using linear scripts (I've looked at Japanese ones) to guide me in displaying the script on a map. Here's what I've created so far as a result of this:
    Attachment 107467

I've just placed it onto an old unused map I was drawing and stepped away from. It's obviously too Japanesey right now but I think it kind of works? Maybe?

I wonder if writing the Irish translation below is a bit cluttering? Maybe not if I don't go overboard with named locations I guess.

Anyway, that's enough on Clover for now. That was a tangent I hadn't anticipated at the beginning Next I'll move on to Midleset and look at naming places there.

Thanks for reading

That is a interesting idea. Imagine the possibilities if the script was shaped like a tree instead. That would be complex to understand.

Im not sure about the japanese theme. Maybe something vegetal. Zen/Bamboo + Art Nouveau?

Very nice alphabet! I always found Ogham really interesting and think it's a pity, that you rarely find anything like this in fantasy settings (in contrast to the widely used Nordic runes).
    Having the Irish translation on the map as well would be interesting - perhaps you just have to try and see if it seems too cluttered. I'm also not so sure about the Japanesey look and the rectangle looks quite harsh compared to the soft lines of the hand-drawn map. Perhaps it would work better with rounded edges.

Oh, interesting !
    (No V, so I can't write my first name, but if I replace V with F (which is close or same in German for example), then all the little branches are on the right side. Huhu, it seems it was a windy day for my personal little tree ^^).

I must be missing something...
    Why does the vertical script need to be in a box?
    Why not treat it like all the other lettering?
    (You'll probably have to thicken the lines and/or add a pale outline to make it more visible.)

Hey all,

Thanks so much for the comments and feedback, I really appreciate it

I hadn't actually considered trying to work this into a tree Azélor, thanks so much for that idea! I'm delighted with that suggestion.

I agree with you and Neyasha about the overly Japanesey style. And I think you're correct about the rectangle looking harsh as well Neyasha. There's no explicit reason for the box bkh, but I was worried that without some background style to make it clear the vertical script was a label, it would just look like a feature of the map. I think I will try you're suggestion of thickening the lines as a first measure.

And I'm glad you're little tree has a character all of its own Beee

Thanks for commenting folks!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Very cool! No J, but I can replace it with a G. And I like the fact that because I have an N, I get 3 little dots.

I actually like having the Ogham-ish vertical text in a box on the map. I think if the box was made from intertwining vines or small branches, it would look fantastic.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234