Thread: The House on Horner Hill WIP

Default The House on Horner Hill WIP

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The House on Horner Hill, by Ian Ringler.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	263.0 KB 
ID:	108070

This one has been very much fun to make, and while it has fallen to the wayside a bit, I will be creating second floor and basement sections as well, so that I can use it in the future for my Pathfinder group.

This cursed manor in the capital city of humankind, known as Praxis, is staunchly avoided for good reason; those who enter, are never seen again. Sitting on the highest point in the city, Horner Hill, it looms over the population in eerie fashion, rumored to "breath" if one would be so brave to get so close.

As you may have gathered, it is going to be a horror setting akin to Edgar Allen Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher, playing on anxieties to bring the players to the edge of their seats. Any creepy thriller suggestions are totally welcome.

Enjoy!

-IR

Are they 5 millimeters squares ? I fyes, you added really tiny details here, Adfor ! Love how readable and easily understandable is your work

Thank you Misty, that means a lot! The trick is keeping a very sharp pencil tip. And yes, it's on traditional sized graph paper, which I've been scrawling dungeon maps on for almost 20 years, hence the elaborated style. I may start on the 2nd floor in the next few days, oh the joys of bouncing between projects.

*necromancer cackling* IT LIVES!!!

I feel it necessary to resurrect this old thread, since I have just recently finished a complete overhaul of this map, that won me a golden compass, yippee!! This difference in 3.25 years kinda boggles my mind.

I plan on using watercolours to 'bring it to life', and I can't wait to dig in on it. I plan to use this map for a campaign module that I'm designing with a buddy of mine. It has been a real undertaking drawing maps for it with intricate border illustrations, but it has only improved my abilities, and for that I am grateful.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	PXL_20211101_000622200.NIGHT.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	3.07 MB 
ID:	131766

I plan on getting a scan of this before I start colouring, so that it can be immortalized in it's B&W form.

IR

Greetings!

Name:	PXL_20211111_131703074.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	3.44 MB 
ID:	131846

Started to work on the basic watercolour elements, starting with the floor tiles, much more to come.

IR
    Last edited by Adfor; 11-15-2021 at 06:21 PM.

Amazing! I admire your patience and have no idea how you can work with a pencil so cleanly. I would smear (smudge?) it all over the paper ...

Quote Originally Posted by Neyasha View Post
    Amazing! I admire your patience and have no idea how you can work with a pencil so cleanly. I would smear (smudge?) it all over the paper ...
    Thank you Neyasha!

Name:	PXL_20211111_232502137.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	131849
    I've recently learned through trial and error over the years, that a plastic sheet protector layed over top of my work creates a barrier between my hand and my work, and that alleviates most of the smudging.

Name:	PXL_20211111_232843859.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	3.11 MB 
ID:	131850
    Second, I keep my pencils very sharp, by running the graphite over course scratch paper. I've been doing this for as long as I can remember, because a dull tip is my worst enemy. This is how I achieve such miniscule details with such sharpness.

IR

Thanks for showing your working process, these are great tips!

Quote Originally Posted by Neyasha View Post
    Thanks for showing your working process, these are great tips!
    Working in pencil can be daunting, I hope it helps!

IR

Howdy!

Name:	PXL_20211115_132225504.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	3.70 MB 
ID:	131881

Finished the gray coloring across the piece, aside from the clouds, which I'm not exactly sure how I will tackle. Every time I wet my brush is a new experience with watercolors, as I'm still so new to them. It's a very exciting medium to work with, I absolutely love how they lay down.

IR
    Last edited by Adfor; 11-17-2021 at 11:35 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast