Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Map 54 - Country Name TBD

It's looking good!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Okay, spent some time finishing up the shading on the mountains, now I need to figure out how I want to show the forests. Might try a couple different techniques and see how they look. Rather than redo the mountain ranges to the left, I decided that they would just be called the "White Mountains", because of the high concentrations of quartzite that give them a white look from afar.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kingdom11.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	3.37 MB 
ID:	110216
    Last edited by Chumpy76; 09-17-2018 at 08:07 AM.

Wow, that's looking really impressive

Thanks Mouse!

Hmm. I *think* I like the way these forests look?
    gonna let it percolate and then come back and see if I still do later after not looking at it for a while. thoughts?

Name:	forest testing.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	3.41 MB 
ID:	110224

Switched gears a bit... I started working some on the forests, and thought that perhaps before doing that, I should start looking at the civilization of the area - cities and roads, namely, since that would have had an impact on how the areas are deforested. and once i started thinking about city placement, i started thinking about the history - why would people have settled in one area or not in another... why would there be main roads here but not there. why is this area built up while this one isn't? that sort of thing. so to that end, here is how i saw the history of the current inhabitants (and previous Giant inhabitants) going. (oops, forgot the #3 on the #3 pic)

Name:	history1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	171.7 KB 
ID:	110238

Name:	history2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	177.4 KB 
ID:	110239

Name:	history3.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	180.2 KB 
ID:	110240

Name:	history4.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	180.2 KB 
ID:	110241

Lovely planning, and equally lovely mapping.

Not trying to distract you at all, but those are gorgeous colours!

Thanks, Mouse.
    So looking at the history,
    the northeast coast will be the most populated with the best infrastructure, most roads, etc, as well as having the capital city. There will be a main highway that follows the coast that originated in the NE, and then connected to the west coast after the first giant wars.
    • The North coast is moderately settled along the coast, but the plains between the coast and the mountains weren't settled until later, and so are less densely populated.
    • The west coast is well populated - settled later, but with the ports for trade and easily shipping goods back and forth to the NE coast, the major cities built up pretty quickly compared to the NE - however, outside of those cities, the land is less occupied than the NE, with towns and villages being a bit sparser.
    • The central area between the northern and southern mountain ranges - was originally going to call the valley of the giants until i realized that isn't so much a valley as it is a flatter grasslands/plains area.... this is the last of the heavily settled areas, with some cities, but mainly smaller towns and villages dotting the landscape, some cities and villages occupying what were formerly giant-built fortifications and buildings.
    • The southern border was settled during the first and great giant wars, but this area is currently one marked by military and militia presence, as there are hostile relations with the occupants on the other side of the river, with raids occasionally being made by both sides. the towns in this area are almost always fortified and have some sort of heavier than normal guard/military presence.
    • The jungles north of the southern border have never been heavily settled. Some have explored, some have settled, but none en masse.

EDIT: in trying to finally nail down a name for this place, I've landed on the Tetzal Kingdom.
    Last edited by Chumpy76; 09-18-2018 at 05:57 PM.

I haven't died, in case you were wondering. lol.
    I think I am happy with the vegetation placement. i just need to pretty the rest of it up like I did in the SE.

Name:	Kingdom12.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	3.55 MB 
ID:	111304

Nice update.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

That's looking quite nice Chumpy
    I like those historical progressions too.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast