Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: My Encounter maps and the Odd Asset. WIP and finished. ;)

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Map The Shrouded Continent

Hi all.

This was the map I made for my first DnD session back a few years ago, I finally found a group and the DM sent me his map and I was like I want to expand it a LOT and make it prettier. So this is it. It is still in simple style, but it does open up many possibilities in adventures.

So, this is free for personal use and with friends with an RPG. Have fun adventuring!
    (Again, I would really enjoy your thoughts on my maps and if it is of some use to you all. )

It starts
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Shrouded Continent_1.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	3.78 MB 
ID:	120091

The party finds a huge mushroom forest with strange mysteries in its murky depths

Name:	The Shrouded Continent_2A.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	4.56 MB 
ID:	120092

Or they venture North and a mission on a ship takes them to islands filled with blue crystals and secrets of an ancient time.

Name:	The Shrouded Continent_2B.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	4.43 MB 
ID:	120096

The great shroud has lifted, but there is a darkness that seeps into the lands from the Arclight Monolith that gives off an ever increasing aura of unease.

Name:	The Shrouded Continent_3.jpeg 
Views:	40 
Size:	6.52 MB 
ID:	120093

Question, would you all enjoy a 'region' map in a mushroom forest?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	City against the cliffs.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	9.39 MB 
ID:	120094   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lost City of Zy'Ku.jpeg 
Views:	46 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	120095  
    Last edited by XCali; 01-29-2020 at 04:24 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project ~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Map Sunken Pyramid

Hey hey. I wanted to add my Sunken Pyramid set.

Deep in the jungle, there is a Pyramid beneath deep waters. What is more baffling is the giant dial on the banks of the cliffs. The many strange carvings on its face speak of many a mystery.

Free for personal use, or with friends when an RPG is involved. Have fun, and as always it would really be nice to hear what stories you all run on these.

This one is AFTER the water is drained, but the ones below are how the players would find it, filled with water.

Name:	Pyramid_Drained_Basin_v1.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	6.73 MB 
ID:	120594

Like with my Thunder Rock city map. If you want to support me and get quite a few extra types of versions of this map, like night with lights, with or without grid, only the pyramid, and a short story and adventure hooks to get you started. Then you can pop in to my DriveThruRPG page. (Down in my signature)

Name:	The_Sunken_Pyramid_v13.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	7.13 MB 
ID:	120592  
    Last edited by XCali; 01-16-2021 at 05:10 AM.

My web novels
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ Psalm 19

Map Continent Map

Hi!

How are you all. Okay, so I was thinking. I REALLY want my map to feature in a campaign, but it won't help if it lies around on my comp and nobody can try and run something on it.
    Anyway, so firstly this map is from the world that I started revealing in my web novel, Nights of Sambria. So to make things clear. THIS map is for personal use and with friends when an RPG is involved ONLY. Anything above that I will ask that you contact me for clarity. (Meaning if you want to create something from it that becomes commercial, contact me.)

Further than that. Have fun running your campaign on the continents! I would asbolutely love to hear the stories form you and your friends.

EDIT: Here is the starter with minimal 'Names' for the players:

Name:	Sambria_Night_less_Lables_START.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	4.62 MB 
ID:	124462 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dawn's Approach_Start_v1.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	124828

For those that want a hook for the Four Fang Isles area:
    The wind howled and the wood creaked like it would split apart any second. Lightnings and thunder revealed the grisly old captain for a brief moment, his grey beard wet with sea water yet his gaze remained unwavering. His resolve was as stone. I just hoped our party held the same... But we were the ones that wanted to risk these waters, no needed to. A shout ripped away my attention.
    "Secure them sails! We are entering dangerous waters now!"
    A gasp left my lungs, twice the boat had barely made the crest of a wave and the captain did not say it then...
    I rushed forward, gripping the rope for dear life as the sail strained against the high winds. The boat started pulling to the side as if dragged by a giant hand. It had begun. We had entered into the grip of that monstrous whirlpool. Another flash of light revealed the worry on everyone's face. Then a wall of water struck me, salt stung my eyes as I got flung free of the rope. Chaos swirled in the waters and I frantically clung to my only breath, in a matter of moments I lost track of time and place.
    Grogginess lapped at my face, or was it water? My hands pressed into the sand before a push from water sent me tumbling a few times before the sand met my face in an unwelcome slap. I turned on my back and opened my eyes. There was no ship in sight. Just jagged rocks and a beach. I sat up and saw several crates laying halfway into the water before a groan drew my attention. Off to my left, there was one of my party members. A question marked my lips. "Where are we?"
    I wondered for the briefest of moments if we had somehow made it to those dangerous islands that lay in the grip of the Maw. Whatever the situation, we took the risk for a reason. There is a mystery on these isles that might shine light on our quest, the greatest danger to have come into our simple lives.

--
    So I decided to add the day time of the map, only to better show the contrast of the different biomes. The main stories still lie on what happens at night, with the mysterious morning trees carrying many secrets, how man monsters fear the light and what exciting treasures players can find by discovering the more rare colored morning trees in the world.

Name:	The Straits of Skiette_v15.jpeg 
Views:	45 
Size:	3.62 MB 
ID:	121866   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sambria_Night__v2b_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	4.38 MB 
ID:	123995   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sambria_Day__v2b_ByOmri.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	4.92 MB 
ID:	124463  
    Last edited by XCali; 09-07-2020 at 10:11 AM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Map Snow Fort

Helloa!

For you all, here is a fort situated in a blizzard prone area, where on their way the party is caught up in a blizzard and has to seek shelter. They find a fort, and head inside. But this place has many mysteries.

For personal use, or with friends when an RPG is involved. It is something I wanted to map for use in an RPG.
    If you enjoyed it in a campaign, it would be nice to hear what story unfolded

(Note: For the time being it is just the bottom floor. The towers and Main building sports more than one floor.)

Name:	Snow Fort_Blizzard_1.jpeg 
Views:	32 
Size:	5.41 MB 
ID:	121327

Name:	Snow Fort_Blizzard_1_Inside.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	5.24 MB 
ID:	121328

When the blizzard finally clears up.

Name:	Snow Fort_2_.jpeg 
Size:	5.24 MB 
ID:	121329

Name:	Snow Fort_2_inside.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	5.12 MB 
ID:	121330
    Last edited by XCali; 04-03-2020 at 09:21 AM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Hi there.

Here is an adventure to help the time go by.

Free for personal use, and with friends.

Name:	Glaciers_Hold.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	121582
    The party discovers an old keep being slowly devoured by an icy glacier over the last hundreds of years. The ice is slow, and thus secrets have been buried there.

The dm version

Name:	Glaciers_Hold_Numbers.jpeg 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	121583

Frozen lair, with a giant skeleton trapped under the ice.

Name:	Frozen_Lair.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	121584

Enjoy!
    Last edited by XCali; 04-11-2020 at 09:31 AM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Default Bamboo Forest

This is a blast from the past. I wanted to try my hand at a bamboo forest map back then. Just to say, drawing bamboo is a bit complicated. But, it came out well.

Free to use for personal use and with friends when an RPG is involved. Though, for this one I would add, that you are welcome to add it as a supplement to a bigger project. Just ask.

Name:	The_Whispering_Path_Area.jpeg 
Views:	45 
Size:	3.20 MB 
ID:	121860
    Last edited by XCali; 04-20-2020 at 06:30 AM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Question Question of Overview

Hi all,

Okay, so I am busy with quite a big dungeon overview map. But I have some questions regarding it.
    One, does a map where a village is inside these large caverns with multiple zones intrigue you as TTRPG players?

This is the one corner of the map. The whole map is like a 1.5 kilometres across with a village, a river, a canyon, an ancient city and several side caverns completing it.
    If you like the idea, please let me know your thoughts on what you would like to have present on the overview.

Glow Tree Cavern

Name:	Overview_Teaser_Glow Tree Cavern.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	793.7 KB 
ID:	122887
    Free for personal use, and with friends when an RPG is involved. This on is a piece of the map that is going to become part of a larger set I wish to release on DriveThruRPG.

EDIT:

Name:	Grove_of_Whispering_Light.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	124464
    Last edited by XCali; 08-19-2020 at 06:14 AM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

So... it says those are 105 foot squares. That's a very odd choice, and that would make those flowers really huge, even by fantasy giant flower standards, so I'm guessing that's probably a mistake?

This section is mostly underwater, right? It looks underwater to me.

Putting a village into a cavern complex is cool. What you show here is both dark and spookily glowing, so I think it would help put players a bit on edge wondering about those odd cracks of light in the stone and those strange glowing flowers and is there something down there at the bottom of that depression!

If you have a canyon, at least have the option of a precarious rope bridge spanning it.

If the squares are 105', then those flowers are about 30-35' across... a decent size even by tree standards (fully grown apple-tree size). What I am seeing are not trees, but flowers, which typically have a much lower width-to-height ratio than an apple tree. If they are intended to be trees, you have a lot of work yet to do.

105' still remains an odd and impractical grid increment. I guarantee the vast majority will just round it to a sensible 100' and treat it as such, because that's easier to work with and won't change the scaling that much. Just as most won't bother converting yards to meters or vice versa if using a gridded map in one in a system that uses the other. It'd just be easier if you did it yourself. Some customers may find it off-putting. If you like the size of things as they are, why not just adjust the grid to the scale with a nice round 100' grid? (And I do hope you're offering a gridless variant for virtual tabletop use, which is probably the majority of your market.)

I like that your large map exists in distinctive regions. That should help give a real sense of progress as players move from one area to another and make it easier to find things quickly. If something's in the ruined city, I know i only need to scan the dark area of the map. And while there are a few ambiguities, I think reads very clearly for this style of map. Unlike some that I just get lost in (in a bad way), this seems entirely practical to use in play. It would be sad if a little thing like a strange grid choice made it go overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    If the squares are 105', then those flowers are about 30-35' across... a decent size even by tree standards (fully grown apple-tree size). What I am seeing are not trees, but flowers, which typically have a much lower width-to-height ratio than an apple tree. If they are intended to be trees, you have a lot of work yet to do.

105' still remains an odd and impractical grid increment. I guarantee the vast majority will just round it to a sensible 100' and treat it as such, because that's easier to work with and won't change the scaling that much. Just as most won't bother converting yards to meters or vice versa if using a gridded map in one in a system that uses the other. It'd just be easier if you did it yourself. Some customers may find it off-putting. If you like the size of things as they are, why not just adjust the grid to the scale with a nice round 100' grid? (And I do hope you're offering a gridless variant for virtual tabletop use, which is probably the majority of your market.)

I like that your large map exists in distinctive regions. That should help give a real sense of progress as players move from one area to another and make it easier to find things quickly. If something's in the ruined city, I know i only need to scan the dark area of the map. And while there are a few ambiguities, I think reads very clearly for this style of map. Unlike some that I just get lost in (in a bad way), this seems entirely practical to use in play. It would be sad if a little thing like a strange grid choice made it go overlooked.
    Oh, don't misunderstand, this whole thing is definitely still a work in progress, I still have a few things to do, one of which is to add the village and stuff like that. So, the grid thing was just in the testing part. Also, the flowers, they are giant flowers big as trees, but I'll see what I can do to make it less confusing.
    Question, I have split the map into four also, so that it can be revealed in parts, do you think you would like a feature like that?

What comes next after that, well refining the whole thing and adding more unique things to each biome. I do, however, would like to discuss things about the map going forward too. To make it as attractive as possible. Tx for the feedback already so far.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Alweria_Cave_System_Preview_2_.jpeg 
Views:	76 
Size:	7.56 MB 
ID:	122986
    Last edited by XCali; 01-16-2022 at 05:31 AM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast