Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Arimel's Artistic Archive

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

So here is the latest location to be added to Arimel's escapades. He has recently visited the fabled city of the Teronians, humanoid creatures that have evolved from ants. Much like termites, they build their cities in giant columns and tunnels underground. This is my initial attempt at a 'map' (might be more of a landscape drawing) of this city (as yet unnamed).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	draft.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	128881

so... do these sort of look like termite mounds?

Here is an experiment I have been working on. I tried a slightly different border and used watercolors to shade everything in instead of colored pencils. We will see if I replicate this though. It took me far longer than normal (as expected) and I have a very narrow arrange of colors here.

Name:	Calinor.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	3.05 MB 
ID:	128961

I was also using this to test some calligraphy stuff... much more work is needed on that front though!

Your "draft" with the termite kind of cities is very promising! Looking forward to see more.

Thank you Ilanthar. I have not been inspired to draw much this week (I am caught in rereading a book series at the moment...) but hopefully I can get back to it this week.

I spent a short time last night continuing to work on my Durgord Kingdom map that I started in November(??) last year. Just adding color to it in the areas that are not seasonally occupied by glaciers. I am sure yet what I will do with the glacier sections so I am avoiding that for now.

Name:	durgord draft.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	129067

Here is a project that I have been working on/off on for nearly half a year. It is a continent on my homebrew world of Orlos. My drawing style has changed slightly between when I started it and now, which has caused some slight headaches. I can certainly say I will NEVER, EVER draw a desert in that style again. EVER. That was a bad and painful decision . Still, a learning experience.

I just need to figure out how I will color the border and finished coloring the rest of the map.

Name:	tangearin draft.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	129227

small desert clippet

Name:	t. clippet.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	129228
    Last edited by Arimel; 04-09-2021 at 05:21 AM.

So here is the finished Tangearin Map (though I can't stop seeing it spelled Tangerine...). I have taken pictures of the maps because, due to their A3 size, the two pages do not fit into my scanner. It is very blurry so hopefully I will get a better quality image in the future. Until then, it will remain posted here.

Name:	Tangearin.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	129291

So, another update on my termite/ant mounds, now formally named the Queen Mounds. I will soon be ready to start the coloring. I would like to test a couple of pen-colored pencil combinations first though and determine just how much light will be in the image. If I draw it at night as it appears at the moment, things may be a bit dark... We will see.

Name:	queen mounds draft.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	129296

I also spent some time doing some random sketches. I was inspired by one of Marc's dragons posted earlier today that I tried my hand at and then tried to create my own which... well it kind of looks like an ugly iguana. It needs some help. I also drew one of the ant warriors one might encounter in the Queen Mounds. Not quite a map but I thought I would share here anyways .

Name:	sketches.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	129297

Another update on the Queen's Mounds. I can't believe that I made it so far before making a mistake on the title banner... I will need to digitally edit that on the final product...

Name:	Queen's Mounds B-W.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	129350

Next is the coloring process. I have decided to color over the pen with the colored pencil. I think it was merely the pen size on my previous maps that was making the ink slightly illegible through the colored pencil (or so some tests have led me to believe). I have not worked in under a 0.05 copic and even that was just shading so the pen should shine through this time, I hope.

That's really cool Arimel and congrats for the lettering, well done.

Thanks Simkin!

It has been awhile since updating this thread so I guess it is time again. Here is a small drawing of the view out my window. At least 20% of the view actually looks like the image

Name:	Farm Window.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	143.4 KB 
ID:	130307

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast