Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Simple Mountains in Gimp

Guild Novice

Thanks for this method, been struggling with the mountains for my regional maps using your tutorial and this just worked first time and looked 100 times better.

Thanks man. This is working great though I can't them really to 'pop' They look more like large hills for some reason.

Awesome stuff

Quote Originally Posted by sphagettiman View Post
    Thanks man. This is working great though I can't them really to 'pop' They look more like large hills for some reason.
    You're probably basing the bump map on the noise overlay layer. Set it to multiply, 'duplicate visible', then bump map that one (sinusoidal, and be fairly aggressive with the depth). Apply this bump map on top of the one you have, you should see the pop you're looking for.

My tutorial ("Yet Another Mountain Tutorial Using GIMP") shows how I do it.

K.

I seem to be missing something. In Step 6, when you fill the selection in the Angular Fill layer with the shaped gradient, I can't get the gradient to fill. I have the settings exactly as shown in the screenshot and have the correct layer selected, but when I click inside the selection with the gradient tool, nothing happens. It doesn't even register on the undo list as an action. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

@sudro2: click and drag. Gradient fills aren't point-click, they need two points to work with. As it happens angular fill basically ignores them, but the interface seems to expect them.

How about this one? I edited the water look a little (emboseed the sea layer and then blurred and reapplied the gradient map) Still practicing though...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dragons Tail.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	26954  

Rob, I've been working with this tutorial as an alternate to the mountains creation process you detail in your Regional RPG Map tutorial. Would you mind looking at my results over in my WIP thread for Broken Isle - First Map? I'm not quite getting the same results as you show us in your tutorial and I was hoping you could point out where I went wrong.

Great little tutorial, working through this and the regional map one of yours RobA. I am how ever running in to issues with the mountain making. Not sure why but every time I try to make a mountain i end up with a halo around the range. It's obviously from the early steps where we use a gaussian blur on the first layer but I just can not seem to replicate your results. I will try again in the morning on a fresh map and post my results.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I was just going through the tutorials again, looking for those that I REALY want to try when I actually have the time to put more that twenty minutes on mapping. When I looked through this one (again for the umpteenth time) I noticed a few things that beg the question "what version of Gimp are you using here, or what plug-ins do you have on it?" The two in particular are the Stencil Ops menu and the Gradient Preview you have in the Toolbox beside the Foreground/background display. What does the Screen Ops menu allow you to do? Is it an add on or rolled into a newer version? Where do I find it? ect, ect.

Oh, and Congrats on yet another well deserved scroll.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast