Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D illustration of a sci-fi Japanese capital

@Tiana I can't recommend Blender Guru's beginner series enough. I know it's only making a donut, but it will provide a foundation in almost every aspect of Blender to help move forward on your own. He's made one for Blender 2.8 now. If you just go through each lesson with him as he does it, you'll get it.

I don't know if that tutorial series is feasible for you though Gamerprinter, it might just be mindnumbingly frustrating since you are already familiar with other 3D programs.

Jax - here's a very rough "tutorial" I made for creating clown fish, I did several years ago, which might give you an idea how to create organic shapes like fish, starting with a cube.

1. Start with a cube
    2. Double it's length up and down
    3. Cut the faces on two side, push the lines outward, then bevel all the lines.
    4. Extrude one flat face to double it's length, then reduce the scale
    5. Extrude and repeat
    6. Reduce the scale
    7. Scale side to side
    8. Repeat to the narrowest point then extrude, while scaling vertically outward then inward to create the round tail
    9. Select the line loops along the shape, and pull to one side, then select the next line loop and pull to the other side to simulate the body moving to swim
    10. Grap the opposing flat face and extrude and scale to create the head of the fist
    11. Eventually squish the scale up and down inward to create the mouth, then extrude into the head to create the inner mouth.
    12. Grap the points behind the line line up from center, bevel the points to create a diamond shape, select the points of the diamond and bevel again to create round eyes, then extrude out scaling down
    13. Grab the faces on top of the fist, inset then extrude to create the fins, bevel the corners to make rounded shape
    14. Do the same to bottom faces to create the lower fins
    15. Determine the gill area behind the eyes and behind that inset/extrude/bevel to create the lateral fins.
    16. Subdivide or smooth, which cuts every face into four pieces with center pulled slightly away to round the shape. You can subdivide a couple times to get a more smooth shape, but adds to file size. Done.

Take model and export to your favorite full 3D program to texture, light and render the image - as the final top down of the clown shown.

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	modeling-a-clownfish.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	704.9 KB 
ID:	117526Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clown_fish_final.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	196.9 KB 
ID:	117527
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 09-11-2019 at 12:25 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Nice tutorial and who doesn't love clown fish?
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thanks, Jax.

Completed the first 10 3D map objects and printables set for Sick Bay... enjoy!

GP

Name:	sick-bay-cover.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	217.8 KB 
ID:	117538
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

An illustration for inspiration, modeled in Wings 3D, then textured, lit and rendered in Vue Creator. This is Juno Asteroid Station. The spherical asteroid is the main habitat, with a micro singularity at it's center to create 1g of gravity just below the surface area. The two smaller asteroids were towed here. The one of the left is a metallic rich asteroid being mined for ores, with the smelting factory beneath it. On the right is a large ice asteroid mined also, for water, and the separation of hydrogen for maneuver drive fuel and oxygen for breathing. This is a very permanent asteroid base with over 50,000 residents. Perfect for the Diaspora (asteroid belt)... enjoy!

GP

Name:	juno-asteroid-base.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	682.9 KB 
ID:	117708
    DrivethruRPG store

beautifull work with those stone textures, and the domes on the asteroid are really well integrated!

Wow. Yes, that's incredible. At first I thought the structures too big to be possible, then realized this is an asteroid, and thus smaller than a planet... also that it's science-fiction so...
    Really neat looking, thanks for sharing Gamerprinter!
    --Ron--

Thanks, guys!

Took two renders to do this, but the second one was quicker. I will need an image of a sky elevator, accessing an orbiting ring in low orbit (still inside the ionosphere protected from micrometeorites). The orbiting ring sports a Mach 10 dual mag-lev train tracks that can take passengers, or separately cargo containers in 15 minute trips to the opposite side of the planet, or to other sky elevators enroute. The elevators continue upward to reach the starport torus station at the top in higher orbit. Using this for my Kaidan System Empire project... enjoy!

GP

Name:	sky-elevator-orbiting-ring.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	743.1 KB 
ID:	117740
    DrivethruRPG store

I created a tengu floating city illustration a few months ago, but it didn't really satisfy me like I wanted - it looked more like an orbiting station in low atmosphere which wasn't what I wanted. So I got inspired to try a city attached to a rocky spire rising out of the mists and haze below. This is the tengu moon orbiting the Oni gas giant called Jigoku (which is also the Buddhist Hell). Once a healthy planet until the Oni tested weapons on the world, relegating the near surface uninhabitable with toxic gases and overly high barometric pressure levels that would kill most humanoids. At about a mile over the surface, the air is breathable and clouds of water vapor can keep things alive. So the tengu built atop the mountain spires of the world with a dozen cities for their depleted populations. Vertical farms and moisture collectors with lifting balloon over it number in the hundreds providing the food for the tengu on this moon... enjoy!

GP

Name:	tengu-moon-city.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	117744
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 09-25-2019 at 01:05 AM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast