Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D illustration of a sci-fi Japanese capital

Thanks, again.

This was a quick one, I was trying to create something else, but it was going to take forever to render, so I need to figure what I have to do to fix that. Instead I created a quickie for a different Kaidan need. This is High Noon over Fubuki Prospecting Outpost 206. A moon over Fubuki, the planet furthest from the Kaidan sun... Enjoy!

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mine-prospector.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	601.2 KB 
ID:	117799
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 09-26-2019 at 12:14 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I guess needing to create my own art for publishing projects where I have no art budget, and doing this kind of work is paying off. I have a gig for some asteroid station maps coming up, and the publisher just saw this illustration posted on my FB page, so he asked, in addition to the maps I'm creating, he could use some landscape art too... so I guess I'll be doing my first non-map art commissions soon!
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

That's great! There's definitely work out there for rpg artists. Good luck and, again, great stuff!
    --Ron--

Thanks, Ron. Know that I've been making professional maps for the RPG industry for 11 years, with over 1000 published maps. So getting pro RPG commissions is what I do, but until now I've never done non-map commissions.

Okay, not as sexy as the last two, this illustration is a bit creepy, depicting a habitat cave of the Jorogumo (spider people race) on another moon of Jigoku, for my Kaidan Star Empire project. Despite looking evil, this is a neutrally aligned race of master computer programmers, due to a natural understanding of mathematics and binary, and a starfaring race. As a specie unlike spiders they are like ants or bees, with a Queen over each nest, males are tiny short-lived beings only around for reproduction, while the main population consists of infertile females. They too have received the brutality of the oni of Jigoku... enjoy! (This is the design that I was having problems with yesterday, due to a translucency issue, which I fixed.)

GP

Name:	jorogumo-nest.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	117818
    DrivethruRPG store

Another odd illustration I needed for my Kaidan Star Empire project. This is the yakuza shipyard station, located in the upper layer of a smaller gas giant, than Jigoku, further away from the Kaidan sun, called Tsukimi or the Autumn Moon, something that in the west might be called a Harvest Moon, associated with a moon viewing festival of old. Because all ships built by the Yakuza are essentially illegal, they cannot be built in any of the other shipyards across the system, so they have their own, hidden on this large orange yellow slush ball of a gas giant. Huge gunships are currently nearly completed in construction. Above it flies an Ika class smuggler ship. It's large, fast, well shielded, but lightly gunned, but most notably features an environmental transformation mobilizer, allowing it to maneuver in the exotic environments of a gas giant, as well as a submersible on ocean worlds - allowing it to more easily hide from pursuing authorities. I basically created a thick cumulus cloud layer, and lowered the sun's angle to show the orange decay level of sunset to give the clouds a color, instead of the default white. Sticking the station deep into the cloud layer was my solution to hiding the shipyards inside a gas giant... enjoy!

GP

Name:	yakuza-shipyard.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	455.3 KB 
ID:	117882
    DrivethruRPG store

Here's the last two 3D illustrations for the planet/moon portion of my upcoming setting guide - the ice planet on the system fringe and the jungle moon of the hebi onna... enjoy!

Name:	iceworld.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	117888Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hebi-valley.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	3.78 MB 
ID:	117889
    DrivethruRPG store

While I'm still doing 3D illustrations, I decided I needed this one for Trevor Gulliver's work on Chains of Purgatory, our prison/garbage world. These are watch stations in low orbit over this tainted atmosphere desert planet in an empty part of space. Instead of guards in the presence of inmates, all the inmates are free to roam the planet. Monthly supply drops are made across the planet, the population are free to govern themselves, how ever they want as long as they work salvage operations on planet with a quota, make no attempt to leave the planet, nor fly higher than a mile over the surface, no attempts to create weapons that could engage with orbiting stations. Each watch station has scanners pointing down to the planet and up into the space above it. Each station is approximately 200 km apart in both a longitudinal and latittudinal array completely covering the planet from poles to equator. Each watch station has crews for 3 small armed ships, or 6 fighter/interceptors, and a science officer to maintain the scanners aboard the platform. Any breaches of the rules from below, or any unfriendly ships that near the planet alert the crews for action above or below. Enjoy!

GP

Name:	watch-patrol.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	117920
    DrivethruRPG store

Here's my first rendition of the Free Camp, an area on the garbage/prison planet of Purgatory for a series of one-shots for Starfinder being written by Trevor Gulliver. This is a highly inaccessable area of the canyon lands region near the equator. A particular gang called the Dudarks reside here. A resourceful, Ysoki scientist and technomancer is a part of this gang and works scientific miracles to give them an edge against the other ruling prison gangs of the planet. The only way to reach the camp is via mecha with jump jet capability to leap from plateau to plateau, down into the canyons to reach this place, it is fully a half mile over the bottom of the canyons for an impossible difficult place to assault... enjoy!

GP

Name:	free-camp-dudarks.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	117934
    DrivethruRPG store

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Thanks, Ron. Know that I've been making professional maps for the RPG industry for 11 years, with over 1000 published maps. So getting pro RPG commissions is what I do, but until now I've never done non-map commissions.
    Sigh, yeah sorry about that. I should have known by the quality and mastery of your stuff... and also, oh yeah, your website.
    Love the new pics. So good!

Quote Originally Posted by rredmond View Post
    Sigh, yeah sorry about that. I should have known by the quality and mastery of your stuff... and also, oh yeah, your website.
    Love the new pics. So good!
    Also all these 3D illustrations are for products that I will be publishing, I'm also a small publisher. I lack an art budget, so cannot hire out for my art needs, so I do them myself. Being a pro cartographer, means that my adventure products can include more maps than what most publishers can afford to include, I can, because I do all my own maps. It's just I also have to provide the other art as well. And regarding the post you responded to, one of my clients now wants me to create illustrations for him, in addition to the maps I'm already being commissioned to create.
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast