Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

Thread: 3D illustration of a sci-fi Japanese capital

After reading about someone's homebrew Spelljammer setting based on mezoamerican culture, that inspired me to try this - especially since I wanted to create sails from scales or feathers, so this is perfect. And since I went all Japanese on the last illustration, I decided to celebrate another civilization.

The Quetzalcoatl is an Olmec Royal Armed Sloop with 3 ballista. The helm is upsidedown - on the other side of the gravity plane, in the mouth, where the pilot sits on a cushioned blanket rather than a chair.

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quetzalcoatl.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	881.3 KB 
ID:	134231
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Somebody asked if I'd do a Stargate inspired pyramid ship, but as a ziggarat, since I did the quetzalcoatl. Simple enough (the pyramid, gates and towers were existing models in my 3D program, and I purchased the Mayan Calendar, because I wasn't going to model that!)

Temple of the Moon, Olmec Imperial Dreadnought Flagship, with 4 catapults. This vessel accompanies the Olmec fleet at war and for important ceremonies. The emperor with his family, entourage and guards, along with his high priest is actually on their way to the system PItz ball court championships being held on the Chacoan world. The emperor's son is leading the vanguard aboard a Quetzalcoatl armed sloop, seen in the distance. The Mayan calendar is the sail.

GP

Name:	mayan-temple-ship.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	434.1 KB 
ID:	134235
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

I planned on doing 12 ships, at least, and I've got 12 ship illustrations done, but it doesn't feel finished to me... so I'm doing 3 more Spelljammers. Since I did 2 Mezoamerican ships, and I've done 1 Japanese ship with the Sasori scorpion pirate schooner, I thought I'd do one more, more official Japanese ship, and one more larger ship.

This is the Jade Dragon, the Shogun's Imperial Battleship, with 3 ballista, and a trebuche. I used simulated jade with a slight translucency - it was set higher, but I lowered it, so it would show the exterior details better.

Two more to go... then the deck plans for all.

GP

Name:	jade dragon.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	924.9 KB 
ID:	134244
    DrivethruRPG store

Final Spelljammer ship and illustration is complete. This is Lolth's Handmaiden, a dreadnought class drow spelljammer ship, although this one is slightly larger than a true dreadnought. It was built by a drow noble house, making it's escape from an underdark city and taking it's family and possessions into Spelljammer space. They have located a large astral spider nest along the fringe of the Outer Wilds and will be establishing a drow city there. You could consider this a colony ship of sorts, one built for an entire noble house... enjoy! Now mapping ensues.

GP

Name:	drow house colony ship.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	134255
    DrivethruRPG store

For the Japan corner of Spelljammer space is a former planet that endured the a massive planetary body passing too close to it causing the planet to break apart into large chunks, but eventually settling into a stable orbit of thousands of rocks floating in close proximity. The peoples living there built bridgings, zip lines, cable cars and single sailed boats to travel between the floating islands. Calling this the Sorashima archipelago (Sorashima is sky islands in Japanese). Enjoy!

GP

Name:	moon viewing.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	595.1 KB 
ID:	134274
    DrivethruRPG store

Xalapa is the capital and planet of the Olmec Confederacy, a mountainous jungle world with extensive underground river systems throughout reaching the seas. The Olmec were among the first Spelljamming cultures, just shortly after the Egyptian introduction. They have since returned to the Earth on several rescue missions to bring entire cities of subsequent indigenous civilizations before others would come and destroy their worlds - as predicted by Olmec prophecy. Among their retrievals were Aztecs, Mayans and Chacoan peoples. Each live on a different moon that orbits the gas giant, Chac Ixchil, the storm god and his consort, Lady Rainbow in the Olmec/Mayan pantheon. There is said to be a constant storm beneath it's tranquil rainbow surface.

The King and the Temple of the Moon ship returns and is landing at the capital.

Name:	xalapa.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	4.16 MB 
ID:	134295
    DrivethruRPG store

Only mentioning that the Sahuagin with the Deep Space Angler and Astral Pirahna ships are from an ocean planet, no surface land. Only land ever revealed during high seas where the nearest surfaces break the water for moments at a time. But still felt compelled to create something for them. Several of the operating bays of Sahuagin spelljammer ships are wet bays (fully submerged) including their helms as depicted here. I don't know why, but I imagine spelljammer helms as featuring a wizard's glass (crystal ball) to view the ship and it's surroundings in combat, and wider views showing entire navigational route being taken. So that's the big glass ball in front of this Sahuagin captain at the helm...

GP

Name:	sahuagin-helm.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	134300
    DrivethruRPG store

Nice! Could be a pulp cover of a Jules Verne type book!

Thanks, rredmond!

Now I need to create deck plans for all the ships, some maps of the included locations, and back story text, then ready this for publication!
    DrivethruRPG store

Calling this: Spent a weekend in Innsmouth and all I got was this weird infection... or this why Illithid wear those long robes - how do you get pants over those?

Just some assets I wanted to use, but had no purpose for, so created it anyway. Now that's out of my system...

GP

Name:	innsmouth.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	134315
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast