Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D illustration of a sci-fi Japanese capital

Default Ace28q

Cool stuff. Seems mapping the interior of that would make for an interesting project.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos McIntyre View Post
    Cool stuff. Seems mapping the interior of that would make for an interesting project.
    There's quite a few massive starships, stations and city maps that I've yet to map. The real challenge is that I'm a detail man as far as mapping goes, I love huge amounts of detail. That is just far more difficult for projects like this!
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

This is the largest starship I've ever designed so far. This the Argos, a super colossal base ship with the colony ship framework. To give you a sense of scale, this ship is 396 miles long. That rotating torus/habitat ring measures (I did the math): 9.96 miles wide, 192 miles in diameter, and 603 miles in circumference, which is 5,991 square miles, at 90 occupants per square mile being the ideal non-urban population density, the torus holds a population just over 600,000 residents. I figure six cities of 50,000 evenly spaced around the circumference, with smaller communities of 5000 - 10,000 interspersed between them, with plenty of farmland, hills, forests, lakes and rivers. Using light effects the sky is blue, real clouds circulate overhead that can release rain, and an artificial sun rotating slower than the torus rotation to simulate the passing of a day. The rear "half" behind the torus is the engines (engineering and fuel processing), while the front "half" holds an extensive hanger for many transport ships, currently inoperable foundries, manufactories, industrial 3D printers, refineries that will be operational once the ship reaches it's destination. While the ship may eventually return to it's origin base, it is just as likely that the ship becomes permanent operational structure and colony at the colonial destination. I'm tentatively planning on doing the deck plans for this ship as well, including the torus as six regional maps measuring 9.96 x 100 miles each.

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	argos.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	199.2 KB 
ID:	129803
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Well after that two day fiasco regarding the the Argos habitat ring, I had to cleanse my pallate with something easy, mindless and altogether without a plan. I took some existing building models, my Marathon colonial marine fast ship and created this scene of achieving escape velocity, exiting a planet with a huge mega-city rising in the clouds. I wanted to create something that looks cool that didn't take much planning get done! Enjoy!

GP

Name:	cloud alley.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	966.2 KB 
ID:	129860
    DrivethruRPG store

It looks great, keep massaging it.

K2

So I had odd commission, the client had an existing starship deck plan, but he wanted exterior views - the problem was the deck plan barely hinted at what the ship looked like, except for having odd upswept wings.

So I created the hull using Wings 3D, a subdivisional surface modeler and textured, lit and rendered in Vue Creator, with the map open in another application so I can go back and forth between modeling and referencing the map. Since the client wasn't actually paying for the service, I posted it to Facebook last night. Then people began asking to see the deck plan in the comments. Well, I never post other people's art, only my own, so I didn't want to post the existing map - it's not mine.

So I created the deck plan, slightly adjusted from the original to better fit the new fuselage. There are two decks. Bottom deck is 2 cargo bays and an aft drop down ramp, with stairs going up. Top deck has a bridge in front, crew quarters, then galley, with sickbay to top, entertainment room to bottom, overlook over the cargo hold, with lavatory up top and ship's locker on bottom.

Enjoy!

GP

Name:	foxbat.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	303.3 KB 
ID:	130007Click image for larger version. 

Name:	foxbat-topdeck.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	634.4 KB 
ID:	130008Click image for larger version. 

Name:	foxbat-lowdeck.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	511.3 KB 
ID:	130009
    DrivethruRPG store

Decided to do a series of 3D designed crab-based starships, as living constructs for a one-shot I am writing for Starfinder, and calling them Crustacea. Having already posted a shrimp salvager, and the command and control crab construct. Then mentioned needing a small repair bug construct. Well these are those, a pair coordinating tasks, before doing some work on the crab construct over them. I used a wood louse/pill bug configuration - they are of crustaceans, believe it or not. This version has longer legs than pill-bugs. On it's head are 4 articulated antenna, which are essentially 3D printer heads using UPB (universal polymer base) equivalents in refined disassembled materials - to keep the other crustacea in working order. Going to create a couple more, thinking a hermit crab next... enjoy!

GP

Name:	repair-crustacea.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	431.6 KB 
ID:	130357Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crab-ship.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	465.4 KB 
ID:	130358Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prawn.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	383.8 KB 
ID:	130359
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-01-2021 at 05:28 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

My daughter and her college friends just started playing Starfinder!
    This looks great.

Thanks, rredmond!

Here we go, seems to have some wahoo factor, but oh well, living crab construct ships, what do expect? This is the next Crustacea, a Hermit Crab Scrap Hauler ship, medium in size - so bigger than the land crab ship (I should have included one for scale). The land crab makes itself a ramp allowing the shrimp disassemblers to carry their materials into the hauler bin, then shuts the door, allowing the hermit hauler to lift the salvage material and return it to the carrier mother lobster ship in orbit. The colossal lobster carrier/processor ship is next and last in this series... enjoy!

Name:	hermit-scrap-hauler.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	481.4 KB 
ID:	130370
    DrivethruRPG store

Blog Entries

Nice textures. I can see them sifting through scrap heaps for useful bits.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast