Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Mouse's stuff

Blog Entries

I really must put myself through the blender once again now with its V2.8 UI. The old one was hopeless but I am assured that the new one is much better and much more consistent. I know its a great app. The only thing that was letting it down was its UI and if that has been fixed it should be on my list of apps I use.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    I have to admit... I'm terrified of Blender. I mean, jeez, I don't even know where to start.
    Start with one of the basic courses by Blender Guru on Youtube. When I did it years ago I used his donut one from back then, I imagine his new donut playlist is just as good. But he's gt a few beginner series if you look on his channel. What I did was just sat down and went through step by step as he did, pausing the video for each step. It requires a lot of time, I'd budget about two or three times the length of the video for each video.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes
    I really must put myself through the blender once again now with its V2.8 UI. The old one was hopeless but I am assured that the new one is much better and much more consistent. I know its a great app. The only thing that was letting it down was its UI and if that has been fixed it should be on my list of apps I use.
    It's better in very many ways (and of course with some new annoyances all it's own, especially for people used to the old), but it is still just as extremely complicated. I think the only way to get through it is baby steps, but just head down one foot in front of the other. The program is so ridiculously useful though that it really is worthwhile to learn.
    Last edited by Falconius; 11-03-2020 at 04:24 PM.

Thanks for the tip, Falconius. I'll try to take a look this weekend, when I have more time.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Start with one of the basic courses by Blender Guru on Youtube. When I did it years ago I used his donut one from back then, I imagine his new donut playlist is just as good. But he's gt a few beginner series if you look on his channel. What I did was just sat down and went through step by step as he did, pausing the video for each step. It requires a lot of time, I'd budget about two or three times the length of the video for each video.

It's better in very many ways (and of course with some new annoyances all it's own, especially for people used to the old), but it is still just as extremely complicated. I think the only way to get through it is baby steps, but just head down one foot in front of the other. The program is so ridiculously useful though that it really is worthwhile to learn.
    I agree with everything you said. Tutorials, and follow along. Its how I started. I have always used real textures in my mapping. I made like 1 or 2 maps in CC3 before I was trying to create realistic textures in GIMP, then stuck with GIMP. And ended up on Blender for trees, as they were the hardest asset to find in good resolution. Its really incredible what can be done. I have only scratched the surface, but has been fun.

Glad to see your work again, Mouse!

Interesting conversation - thanks guys! However, I'm only here for a few minutes today, so I will answer just a few of your comments directly:

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    I have to admit... I'm terrified of Blender. I mean, jeez, I don't even know where to start.

Mad respect to all you Blender users!!
    Oh I know! I find it quite frustrating at times. Whenever there is an update I have to learn it all over again, but as Red points out it's just too useful to not bother with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I am quite envious of anyone who doesn't have to do this every single time there is what they call a 'minor update'! Hats off to you, Red

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Glad to see your work again, Mouse!
    Hi Ilanthar! Thank you

I can't quite believe it's been so long since I last posted something to look at on this thread, but then... a lot has happened hasn't it!

I hope you are all safe and well!

I've been working on several new mapping styles for Profantasy for most of the interveining time. There were 3 new Cartographer's Annual styles in 2021. First up was Darklands Overland, for which this is the example map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dalmarinia.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	132917

Then I did Darklands City, parts 1 and 2

Name:	CA177 Aramalina - Rivers Meet District.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	132920 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brightwater.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	4.84 MB 
ID:	132921

And Marine Dungeon, parts 1 and 2

Name:	CA175 Undersea Portal.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	3.40 MB 
ID:	132918 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CA180 The Temple at Miral Bay.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	3.98 MB 
ID:	132919

My first style for this year's annual was published today - the Winter Village style.

Name:	Winter Village 4000.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	132922

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Mouse; 03-01-2022 at 05:29 PM. Reason: forgot something

Blog Entries

Nice to see you back in town again mouse. And there was me thinking that you might have given up mapping.... you should have posted these over the course of the last two years and let us savour each map in turn. I am liking the winter village houses with the snow on the roofs especially.

Hey Mouse, I'm glad I just happened to take a look today and caught these. They look so good!
    I really like the temple at Miral bay and the water although the town ones are fabulous as well.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Lol, welcome back Mouse Those styles look great.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast