Thread: Map 60 - National Fairy Republic

Default Map 60 - National Fairy Republic

Hi all, and happy holidays!

I have finally figured out what kind of map I want to make for GuildWorld, and the story it will tell. Sadly, I don't have an actual map to show - not even a WIP - and I'm not likely to get one soon, what with studies and commissions and all, so treat this thread as a placeholder for now

Anyway, allow me to introduce you all to: the National Republic of Fairyland!

------------------------
    We've all heard the stories about fairyland. When we were children, we would be told about the kingdom of endless twilight, the enchanted forests and golden fields. We would hear about the ethereal beauty and mystery of this land's inhabitants, the grandeur of its tree-bound cities, and the gentle hum of magic that lies beneath it all. And we would hear about the royal court of the fairies, presided over by the eternal fairy queen, most beautiful of them all.

The kingdom of fairyland is one of the oldest in all of Guildworld, and claims a connection between tradition and magic like few others. But that kingdom has ceased to exist. It was ended on the night the Wings of Pride party seized control of the capital. It was ended when the fairy queen herself, and all her courtiers, faced the firing squads. It was ended on the night when Fairyland burnt, and the National Fairy Republic was born.

Under the rule of Commander Elyon Adroris XII, the Wings of Pride have established a new regime, and brought all of Fairyland under their control. Their slogan is "Tradition is our strength. Magic is our power." Sporadic resistance in the early days has been crushed, and replaced by the ever-present surveillance of the Sylvar, the new government's secret police. Dissenters are imprisoned or disappear. Oaths of loyalty are sworn to the Wings of Pride, fairy children are required to join the Young Wings, and all able-bodied adults are pressed into national service in the fairy army, the Vulluin.

Watch out GuildWorld: the fairies are coming!

------------------------
    If it isn't apparent from that description, let me make it even clearer: GuildWorld is now home to fascist fairies! I think this is especially bad news for my neighbours: MistyBeee, Neyasha, Jaxilon and Ladiestorm

Oh, and I'm thinking that this country must have some connection to Chashio's Fey Country, but I haven't figured it out yet. When I do, I'll update the story

Wingshaw

EDIT: thought it might be useful to link to the neighbours
    MistyBeee's Arlys: link
    Jaxilon's Khovania: link
    Ladiestorm's Yilseudor: link
    Neyasha's unknown...
    Last edited by Wingshaw; 02-04-2021 at 12:38 PM.

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Perhaps this is the connection...
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...125#post411125

I had already, after some discussion with Chashio, worked a bit on the idea of a alternate fae realm, or dimension.
    I'll be eager to see where you take this.

Well, Wingshaw, be sure the Lady of Arlys will always give a warm welcome to all the fairies needing to escape their fayscist government. No-one, having wings or not, should face the fear or any kind of oppression. We kindly remind to the National Fairy Republic without our honey and rare mining resources, your economy would decline fast, so please keep away from our borders. We'll gladly accept to renegociate the terms of any of agreements between our two countries as soon as you'll sign the Convention for the Protection of Universal Rights.

Hey there Guildies

I haven't been around so much lately, but I am still checking in occasionally, and I still plan to finish off my GuildCity and GuildWorld maps eventually. It'll take a time, but I'm working on it...

And, speaking of which, I can now offer the first WIP for the National Fairy Republic! I've added the neighbouring maps (where available), and begun the mountains.

Wingshaw
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	National Fairy Republic WIP 01.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	884.7 KB 
ID:	128190   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	National Fairy Republic WIP 02.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	128191  

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Cool! Glad to see the guild world filling up.

Looking good Wingshaw! (and hi neighbour )

I have a couple of maps I've been working on but hoping to return to mine soon. There are mountains and deep forests on the Eastern border of Barychd Fraa but I could imagine some refugees making the difficult trek into my country for a hope of freedom

So nice to see the Guild World progressing! Looking forward to seeing where you'll take this next. I love the idea behind this map so much!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Somewhere dark and rather dangerous...and also inhabited by these confounded mosquitoes.

Ooh, I love the crossover.