Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homer's Odyssey

Default Homer's Odyssey

Hi fellow Guildmates !

Here's my last map for 2019. It was drawn for the Aug/Sep '19 Lite Challenge and it brought me my third and final silver compass

Bogie's prompt was "Map a song" (I love Bogie's prompts) and my wife, who teaches literature, had asked for a map of Odysseus' journey for a long time. Homer's Odyssey being technically a song, I seized the opportunity to honor my promise.

Here's an updated version with some more work on the parchment shades and highlights and a bunch of lonely trees. I wanted to add more terrain textures but I also wanted to post this one in 2019 so, I had to compromise. I'll reuse this basis for a larger map showing more lands North, East and South and it will mean more detailed terrains. If you want to have and RPG adventure in the real world and need a map for it, stay tuned

The map is available in English and in French on my INPRNT shop if you like it enough to hang it on a wall (original size is 64x45 cm).

Hope you like it and I also hope you'll have a wonderful New Year's Eve

Cheers !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Odyssey post.jpg 
Views:	1654 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	119578
    © Thomas REY - 2019 - All rights reserved

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

'History' and a map! Can it get better? Really nice and I like the faded color here. It really fits.

Guild Journeyer Impractical Cartographer's Avatar

I always knew that Ulysses must have been drunk when he sailed home.
    Great map!
    However, it would be a little better if, in addition to the numbers, also put names and short descriptions on the map.

Lovely composition! I think the 3D look of the title clashes a bit with those hand-drawn torn edges (that are definitely a signature element of yours, and I love them!), but looks nice enough on its own. The colours work well with the theme, I think. A cool choice of source material, too!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

La version finale est magnifique ! A very nice work that allows me to remember some of the stories this poor Ulysses has to go through... and the nicest goal for a map : to please your wife ! Congratulations and Mappy New Year !

A splendid rendition, and a nice one to end the year on
    You've had a very busy year, my friend.
    Happy New year

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    'History' and a map! Can it get better? Really nice and I like the faded color here. It really fits.
    We agree on this point Thanks Arimel !

Quote Originally Posted by Impractical Cartographer View Post
    I always knew that Ulysses must have been drunk when he sailed home.
    Great map!
    However, it would be a little better if, in addition to the numbers, also put names and short descriptions on the map.
    Who would sail a mythological Mediterranean Sea sober ? I felt the names of the locations would have cluttered the map a bit (with informations concentrated on small parts) but I regret not adding other geographical informations such as sea names for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Lovely composition! I think the 3D look of the title clashes a bit with those hand-drawn torn edges (that are definitely a signature element of yours, and I love them!), but looks nice enough on its own. The colours work well with the theme, I think. A cool choice of source material, too!
    Thanks Kell and I think you're right. The title is something I wanted to redo but I wanted to post the map in 2019 and time was scarce The song part was a gambit that paid off in the challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    La version finale est magnifique ! A very nice work that allows me to remember some of the stories this poor Ulysses has to go through... and the nicest goal for a map : to please your wife ! Congratulations and Mappy New Year !
    Merci Joel, I made her wait for too long

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    A splendid rendition, and a nice one to end the year on
    You've had a very busy year, my friend.
    Happy New year
    Thanks a lot John My year was busy, indeed but nothing compared to yours. To a new year full of challenges and clients (and personal maps because we need those too) for both of us ! Cheers mate !

Nice choice for a "map a song" Thom. I vagely remember the story and so the map gave me a push to read a shortcut of his adventures again
    Great map and congratulation for winning your last Silver Compass !
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

You really nailed the parchment texture here Thomas. I love the style of the mountains as well. Nice work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Great map! Beautiful & efficient.
    I als love those numbers by the way .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast