View Poll Results: Which of the following matches clostest to how you feel about the rep system ?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • It works great as is and I dont see a problem with it.

2 6.90%
  • I like the idea of rep but it needs a bit of tweaking.

20 68.97%
  • I have never been bothered by rep and I ignore it.

2 6.90%
  • The rep system in its current form needs a complete overhaul to make it work.

4 13.79%
  • I dont like any form of rep system nor do I approve of the idea of it.

1 3.45%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: What should we do about Rep ?

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Top all time poster is Ravells at about 11,000. Longest member here is obviously Robbie at about 2006. Highest Rep member is J.Edwards at about 85,000 or so. I think that the top 50 longest serving members should have max rep power, the top 50 posters should also and the top rep people too. So *if* we agreed that the rep should be between +20 and a cap of +100 for example then the scale needs to reflect the amount of bonus rep to about +20 and then +1 per 60 days on the forum, or +1 per 1000 rep, or +1 per 100 posts or thereabouts. Those kinds of values would even it out much more than +1 for this +1 for that and +275 for the current rep value like we have at present. J.Edward can hit a new member with one rep hit and they jump 8 levels out of 10. Its madness where we are at the mo.
    This seems still way to complicated. As I see it, every user that is past 5 post should have same rep power without any rising number. I also don't need the levels. Just the number of reputation.

Btw. J.E. will probably now refrain from giving rep away even more after reading this
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

I remember when I first joined the Guild and got my first rep, it was a pretty good feeling. At the start, I was almost having an unofficial competition with JosiahVE (who joined at almost the same time) to see who could get the most. We kept jumping ahead of one another and that was quite fun!

Having said that, that only lasted a few months, because of our various activity and also because the huge amounts of rep available kinda made it tricky as our maps both got better. I like to give rep now and again, because I remember and appreciate when it was given to me particularly at the start, but equally there definitely is an inflation problem!!

I think Voolf's suggestion of a +1 power across the board would definitely solve the problem, but I can understand if some think it too drastic (it was nice getting those sudden injections of rep that boosted the little green bar!!) A rep power cap might be the way forwards, but it's hard to know what that cap should be. The longevity power boost is kinda a cool idea along with the post boost, but as I said it's hard to know what numbers are right, though your last suggestion Redrobes sounds like it could work:

"So *if* we agreed that the rep should be between +20 and a cap of +100 for example then the scale needs to reflect the amount of bonus rep to about +20 and then +1 per 60 days on the forum, or +1 per 1000 rep, or +1 per 100 posts or thereabouts."

Also: new avatar sizes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Haha, I love this scale, Tiana! I'm currently saving the Earth from alien invasion, having just wrestled a bear, and frankly I feel no need to go higher!

I don't know how many options you're allowed (it may be less than what you've listed), but I think this is fab.
    Well, some of the ones I listed are somewhat redundant, but what can I say, "wrestled a bear" is an excellent indication of your prowess as a cartographer, right?! ...At least at one time.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

For my part, I really like being able to express approval or admiration for a post or a map. Being able to add a few words is just as essential.

So I'm very attached to the REP system: for me, who doesn't have a very good opinion of myself as a cartographer, it's a real encouragement to keep going, to try to progress... I can say that it's a real driving force and I'm extremely grateful to the guild members who gave me rep and/or added a little word.

I'm also extremely happy to be able to give some: I'm not native english speaking, the work doesn't leave me as much time as I would like to participate in discussions, post a comment that manages to make it clear what I like (and what I like less) about a map. REP allows me to do this in a few words.

I didn't have a complete understanding of how it worked, now that I know more, there may be an imbalance, but it will never take away the pleasure I get from giving or receiving REP. I think it's very important to keep an approval system, which can be circumstantiated with a few words, but avoids negative points.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    I asked, I received.

Suggestions

User is an unknown quantity at this point = 0
    User is on a distinguished road = 10
    User will become famous soon enough = 50
    User has a spectacular aura about = 150
    User won the Game of Thrones = 7000

Well ain't that something? Really great classification here!

I agree with Greg about the rep itself. When I got my first rep I was beaming for a day or two afterwards. To be honest, having everyone give a flat rep boost makes the most sense to me. It does create a problem for those with insane amounts of rep power already, as no one will ever catch them. I know I would not mind having my Rep reset (even after such a terrifying game of thrones experience...) but I completely understand those that have been here much longer not exactly relishing this idea. A possible idea is to put a medal/mention on the profile part of the account to say "Rep gained before _____" or something like that, just to commemorate the amounts/previous work.
    Last edited by Arimel; 03-18-2020 at 06:35 AM.

Blog Entries

Those classifications are great. I think it would be best to tie them to the amounts to get a new green pip on the rep-o-meter. Resetting everyones rep is not easy to do so is not an option that id like to consider at this point. We have options for the amount of rep we give out which relates to the time since registered, amount of rep you have, and posts and we have a cap amount. The sentiment looks like we have a fixed amount for everyone and go with it regardless of time, posts or current rep which is fine. But that would need to be somewhere around the 20 - 50 range instead of 1 considering that to be "full" you need about 50,000-60,000. So its a question now of how many times one needs to rep another in order to get them full.

I think the idea of disconnecting Rep Power from Rep Received is a good one. In thinking about what's left after that, it seems reasonable to give long standing and highly active members some sort of recognition as well, and going with a flat value wouldn't really achieve that. If we started at +1 simply for being a member then gave and additional +1 for each year of membership along with an additional +1 for every X number of posts (I'd probably go with every 500, and round it down every time), that would bring the Rep Power down to reasonable levels. As for each members current Rep Received value, I would imagine that editing those numbers might become a real headache, especially if they are not stored in some sort of data file on the back end of the system. If they are easily accessible/editable, maybe dividing them by a simple value would be the easiest way to go.

Edit: Oh, and maybe a +1 for being a CL/Admin type of member. Again, it seems reasomable to me to reward people for their efforts when it comes to keeping this place running as smoothly as possible.

Edit 2: I'll also echo what some of the others have mentioned in that it would be nice to have a "Like/Thanks" button for posts. I know a number of people here have answered questions or offered suggestions that I've benefited from and it would be nice to show appreciation for that publicly without always having to create a new post to do so.

@Tiana - Great descriptions. I got a good chuckle out of some of them.
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 03-21-2020 at 10:24 AM.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Blog Entries

Ok so we seem to have run out of discussion about how you feel about the rep system right now and whether we need to do something about it. I have closed the poll and the result was very informative. I appreciate all of the voters and especially those who made the unusual choices and being bold about their opinions. We have a fairly even spread with one clear winner in that it needs a bit of tweaking.

I will start a new thread shortly along with a new poll about the guts of what exactly can be implemented and in what form you want to see that implementation. Many of you have already expressed an opinion about what needs to happen in this thread. I have read and taken in these comments and ill just recap them all and ensure that they are options in the new poll. But even if you have nothing more to add to it in comment form, then it might clarify the outcome of the new poll if you vote for the option which you requested here.

So lets call a halt to this thread and ill start a new one since I dont think its possible to have two polls in the one thread.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567