Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lovecraftian Adventure - Farrow Mansion

Wip Lovecraftian Adventure - Farrow Mansion

It has been much too long since I've posted on here. Hopefully I won't run into another crashed laptop or PC again (*fingers crossed*).

This is a collection of the current works-in-progress for a Lovecraftian adventure I wrote called "The Progeny of Perseus" that takes place in 1884. I originally came up with the idea about 3 years back trying to make a horror-based "Clue" game. I'm attempting to update the maps and make it playable digitally since my tabletop buddies have all moved and I've moved. To begin, there are the original graph paper maps, then the new GIMP floor-plan maps, then a peek at the partially completed first floor with some furniture and stuffs.

Super-duper thanks to Bogie, Neyjour, Vintyri Project & Mark Oliva, Sockydm, Lokistics, dm142, and many others for their incredible generosity and willingness to let plebs like myself use their awesome art for our own maps. You all inspired me to try making digital maps and battlemaps again after giving up a few years back.

*Attributions on the last map:
    - Neyjour: all of the vases (except the one to the direct north of the double door), and the awesome grey tiles
    - Bogie: all of the objects inside the room (except for the blank sheets of paper), the doors, the foot-boards below the doors, the carpet pattern and the cool grey & black diamond tiles
    - Sockydm: the stone texture/wall pieces I used for the fireplace
    - Ftourini: the blank paper texture/image
    - Borysses: wood patterns
    - Ransie: wood patterns
    - RPG Mapshare: for the rug on the top of the staircase and whoever made this (https://rpgmapshare.com/piwigo/galle...28/category/38) which served as a starting point for the wooden walls which were based on a set of free "Tavern" walls from Lokistics over on deviantart.

If I missed anyone or didn't attribute something please let me know and I'll edit the post.

Any criticism or comments are welcome and thanks for looking!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Farrow Mansion - 1st Floor.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	120936   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Farrow Mansion - 2nd Floor.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	120937   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Farrow Mansion - 3rd Floor.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	120938   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Farrow Mansion - 1st Floor edit.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	342.1 KB 
ID:	120939   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Farrow Mansion - 2nd Floor edit.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	314.2 KB 
ID:	120940  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Farrow Mansion - 3rd Floor edit.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	120942   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Farrow Mansion 1st floor draft.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	9.43 MB 
ID:	120941  

Here is an update on the map. Walls are done (excluding the deck railing), flooring is done, and all doors are in place.

Name:	Furniture and Flooring draft 2.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	2.95 MB 
ID:	120960  

*Update 2*

I have finished the 1st floor (excluding the outside). This is my first try at fully furnishing an interior, so any criticism or comments would be appreciated.

Here is the updated attributions/credits list for the items, textures, and content in the house:

- Neyjour: all of the vases (except the one to the direct north of the double door/front doors), the mushrooms and fungi (from Deep Woods and Fantasy Fungi), and the awesome grey tiles (a mod on Bogie's tiles) in the kitchen/storage area, trinkets and powder containers

- Bogie: all items not specified as contributed by others (includes: chairs, tables, couches, benches, plates, utensils, stove, hand baskets, crates, barrels, jars, jugs, teapots, chests, cups, trays, plates, coins, rugs, doors, the foot-boards below the doors, books, bookshelves, lanterns, statues, stage), the carpet pattern and the cool grey & black diamond tiles

- Sockydm: the stone texture/wall pieces used for the fireplace

- Ftourini: the blank paper texture/sheet of paper image

- DM142 (Devianart): a few bookshelves

- Borysses: wood patterns

- Ransie: wood patterns

- J Owen: wood pattern

- PB/Probono: candles, scrolls, and books

- Dundjinni Forums / Bogie's Cartographer's Guild thread for Mapping Elements: cabinets and a few bookshelves

- Edwin Pijpe (on FreeImages.com): some old book stock photos that were turned into png format

- Smithsonian Open Access Images: old newspaper images transferred to png format

- RPG Mapshare: the rug on the top of the staircase, a few of the tables, the waste baskets, the couch/sofa in the dining room, a few of the books, the blank scrolls, the golden goblets, the wall tapestries, and whoever made this (https://rpgmapshare.com/piwigo/galle...28/category/38) which served as a starting point for the wooden walls which were based on a set of free "Tavern" walls from Lokistics over on deviantart.

As a newbie question -- is a site like PNG Barn or PNG Guru ok to use? I saw a lot of Neyjour's stuff on there that was not credited and there were no attributions/credits on the site, which concerned me so I didn't grab anything from there. They have a lot of good stuff, but I was hesitant to go ahead and download it without being able to attribute it to anyone.

Name:	Farrow Mansion Floor 1 Buildout draft 1.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	3.05 MB 
ID:	121159  

This looks really good!

A nice layout and you've done a great job with the furnishings.

Wip Shadows!

*Update 3*

---See my above posts for attributions and credits for map elements and textures---

This is my first try on shadow effects using mask layers. Kinda frustrating, but a cool effect.

Only the front room/foyer is done so far.

A few requests for comments now that I know I can at least approximate shadows:

1. Is this dark enough for a shadow or should I try to go even darker? (I didn't want to mask all of the items/furniture so I left it somewhat light)

2. Should this level of shadow continue throughout the entire house? (it is an "empty" house for the purposes of the story)

3. Does the lighting/glow effect on the stairs look alright with the shadows or should I just use plain stairs and allow the shadow to create the lighting effect?

Name:	Farrow Mansion Floor 1 shadows draft 1.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	121245  

I like a fairly bright universal lighting and a lighter shadow effect because it's easier to see the objects in the rooms.
    However, some people love dark and barely visible.

One idea for the wall shadows is to have two levels of shadow.
    First, a darker one on the floors, like you currently have.
    Second, a thinner and lighter shadow above the furnishings to still provide a slight shadow effect for items that are against the walls.

About the stairs. One convention is that stairs become lighter as they rise to the next level and darker as they descend to the level below.
    The other convention is to have uniformly lighting on the stairs and to use the step shadows to show the up/down direction. That works, but often the direction isn't obvious at a quick glance.

Thank you for the ideas and suggestions. I tend towards "dark and barely visible" in my personal tastes, although I've never tried putting shadows on a map before. I do want the players to still be able to see

I hadn't thought about doing two levels of shadow, but that makes sense and would look better than the single level of shadow I have now.

I'll try out both of the approaches for the stairs and see how they look. I had added the glow because I used the candle and lantern as light sources and wanted some reflection/warmth from them to show on the stairs. The stairs currently lead to a wrap-around balcony on the second floor overlooking the foyer/front room so I'm planning on adding some shadow to indicate that as well.

Also, I ended up re-orienting the study/office/library room as you suggested and it looks much better to me. Thanks!

Wip Outside of the house?

So as I'm beginning to work on the second floor I realized I had included the front steps and steps off of the front and back-side decks. When I make the steps it makes the parchment background look a little strange, so I decided to try making a "realistic" outdoor area. I realize that the steps are not included in these pictures - I am still working on them as I am not great at stone textures and I'm trying to take my time

Does the parchment background look alright, or does the more realistic background look better?

Any comments or critiques on this would be appreciated, and I won't be upset if you don't like it.

p.s. - I added some mud smears in the theater room that fit in with the story that this map is for. I think they look alright, but if you have any critiques of that I am open to changing it.

Name:	Farrow Mansion - 1st flr - outdoor paint.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	3.24 MB 
ID:	121291   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Farrow Mansion Floor 1 Buildout.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	3.04 MB 
ID:	121294  

I prefer the parchement background, the colors match better and it makes the house stand out. You could keep the realistic version but lighten a bit the green parts? I like the mud smears very much, they look very realistic.

Thanks for the input! I think I will go with the parchment background. As you said, it helps the house stand out more. And thanks for the compliment on the mud smears

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast