View Poll Results: The parameters to choose.

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • +1 fixed. Everyone gets just one point. Accept some members have existing high scores.

2 11.76%
  • +20 fixed.

1 5.88%
  • +50 fixed.

0 0%
  • +100 fixed.

0 0%
  • +1 per 500 posts capped at +50.

1 5.88%
  • +30 to start, +1 per 60 days, +1 per 100 posts, +1 per 4000 rep cap at +100.

8 47.06%
  • None of these options are close to what I would like.

2 11.76%
  • As per option 6 but with log( rep ) - see post #12.

3 17.65%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What should we do about rep PART TWO !

I'd say +1 as soon as you pass that 5 post minimum to authenticate yourself, then add for time and activity (I'd say +1 year and +1 for every 500 posts), but for rep, is it not possible to make it logarithmic? The linear bonus for rep is what made things spiral out of control. If you got +1 at 10 rep, +2 at 100, +3 at 1,000, etc., you'd see slightly heavier rep sticks as your own rep improved, but not so much.

Would it be possible to provide a small bonus for those who had an award of some sort? +1 for a Silver Compass, +2 for a Gold Compass, +3 for an Atlas Award. Non-cumulative, and with other awards sorted as appropriate. I'd also say that contributing money or time (admin) to the Guild also deserves some extra rep-ability.

For information the member with the most posts is about 11,000. The member with the highest current rep is 85,000. The longest member is about 14 years.
    So, if this were one person, that would give +22, +4, and +14. Probably safe to assume at least a Gold Compass at that point and throw in +2. Total: +42. So, in the right ballpark, anyway. If you doubled the rep bonus, that would get to +46. Yeah, that seems better, +2 steps for rep, on the same scale.

Probably could still use some tweaking, but I think that's pretty much what I'd want to see.

Blog Entries

Heh id give +25 for a silver compass and +50 for gold all capped at +100 if I could but I am not certain that I would be able to do this. I might try tho but it is doubtful. The compasses and awards are the things that are most prized because they are usually voted for and thus inherantly reputationally important things to have.

You have to remember these longest members, most posts and most rep values are the highest in the whole guild. Most of us mortals have been around a few years, have a few thousand rep and made perhaps a thousand posts. We ought to have the top 50 or so in each of those categories capping out the max rep power.

We cant do the logarithmic scale. We can only adjust the X, Y, Z values to make any scaling. A logarithmic scale for the current rep score would indeed be a great thing.

EDIT: Actually looking at the code I think we might be able to do a logarithmic scaled version for these values. I would need to alter the reputation code to do it rather than set the constants via the admin menu panel but if you think it would be better then I think it is possible. So we could do +K * log( reputation ) if you wanted. So in your case K would be 1 or 2 but we could have different amounts. I.e. if K was 5 then you get 5 points at 10 rep, 10 points at 100 rep, 15 points at 1000 rep, 20 points at 10000 rep and 25 points at 100,000 rep etc.

Let me just also comment about Gregs post as well

Just looking at this thread of people I think everyone would theoretically be at the rep power cap given either the number posted and years a members alone, but that's because they're all key members. The +1 every 4000 pts I think is potentially harder to achieve than the others, but if you're an active member, then rep should hopefully come your way too.
    This is what I would be looking for, Pretty much everyone who is an established member who joined a while back, made a lot of posts and got some rep under their belt and if possible won a few compasses getting the same rep power capped at the max value. Perhaps +1 per 4000 current rep is a bit low. Something like +1 per 1000 or 2000 might be better actually.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 03-28-2020 at 02:23 PM.

I think log(rep) is a great idea!
    Unfortunately, I already voted.

Blog Entries

Thats ok, if anyone voted for option 6 but would have preferred the log(rep) option then just say so and ill tally it all up at the end. I think I prefer the log rep as well if possible though it could be that I am thinking it would only be better because we have had an issue with the current rep score power. If everyone had a cap on the max rep power that they could award then maybe it would not be a problem any more and a linear scaling would have been fine.

I actually voted for option 5. In thinking about it, option 6 would probably be better, though I would go with a yearly increase rather than 60 days. Going off post count is definitely a good idea and rewards the highly active members. Also agree with others about CL/Admin members getting an extra point or two. If we are going to cap the maximum rep power, however, I would be perfectly fine without using received rep as part of the power scale. Feel similar about not using the trophies. They are a form of reputation all on their own.

Again, just my 2 cents worth.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

I feel kind of dumb... Just read through everything, decided to vote for the logarithmic option, and put the vote in for number 6. If the vote can be tallied the other way that would be great (if not, no problem!) and sorry for the trouble.
    I think that limiting the effect that the rep has on the voting system is a much better way to do it. It will still put the emphasis of increasing the rep score on the engagement aspect, which I think is more important.

I voted for 1 but after voting I instantly wasn't sure what I really want to vote for. Couldn't change it afterwards, but for me every option seems to be just fine.

Blog Entries

Ok so I have closed the poll and implemented the most voted for option with some modifications. Since it was suggested that +30 start was too much I made it +10. You get log( current_rep ) * 5, (where the log is base 10), extra instead of 1/4000 and I made it +1 per 100 days instead of 60, blending in a bit of Greasons suggestion. Its capped at +100 now and admins get same as everyone else.

You need 5 posts to start repping, i.e. you need to be a full member. Once you are a member, you start with +10. If you have been here 5 years then you get +18, if you make 3000 posts then you get +30. If you have a rep score of 8765 then +19. So a member with all of that gets +58. So now the most active promotion to your rep power is number of posts made.

Its still set so that you can make 10 reps per 24hr and you need to rep 10 people before you can re-rep the same person again. There is no -ve rep unless you are a CL or admin and I would suggest we continue to never use it.

I'll change the titles so that it reflects the number of pips on the green bar. I.e. a level every 1000 up to 10000 and then another level every 4000 up to the 50,000 or so max bar rating.

That all sounds good to me. Ironically, it gives me more rep power than I had, but I have been here for almost 12 years now.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

That gives me 107 rounded. Which I think is a little less than before but I'm not sure.
    But I guess it is normal since all of my stats are fairly high.

I like Vogon poetry now. Big fan of his/her work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast