Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Building a world from tectonics onward

2 quick notes:

1, I've done some tests lately with exoplasim runs starting with 1 meter of initial global glacial cover; it takes a bit longer for the climate to settle out, at least 50 years whereas they usually are mostly settled within 20 years otherwise, but the resulting glacial cover is a lot more accurate, as well as the global average temperature. it does make some mid-latitude areas even colder than they should be, though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	earth_glactest2 .png 
Views:	24 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	134984

2, I've seen at least some indication that T85 runs are better at reproducing the precipitation patterns in Africa and India, but I've never really got around to fully investigating it; this is a run someone on discord did for just 16 years (and I think it's from back when we used an earlier version of the topography script that was heavily land-biased)

Name:	sim.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	134985

Quote Originally Posted by worldbuilding pasta View Post
    1, I've done some tests lately with exoplasim runs starting with 1 meter of initial global glacial cover; it takes a bit longer for the climate to settle out, at least 50 years whereas they usually are mostly settled within 20 years otherwise, but the resulting glacial cover is a lot more accurate, as well as the global average temperature. it does make some mid-latitude areas even colder than they should be, though.
    This is a really good point and something I'll try soon. Thanks!

... and I think it's from back when we used an earlier version of the topography script that was heavily land-biased)
    Out of curiosity, what do you mean by this? I'm guessing (hoping) this isn't the Image2sra_2.0.3.py script that I've been using.

2 quick notes:

Name:	earth_glactest2 .png 
Views:	24 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	134984

2, I've seen at least some indication that T85 runs are better at reproducing the precipitation patterns in Africa and India, but I've never really got around to fully investigating it; this is a run someone on discord did for just 16 years (and I think it's from back when we used an earlier version of the topography script that was heavily land-biased)

Name:	sim.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	134985
    Am I wrong or places mediterranean in wrong positions?

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    Am I wrong or places mediterranean in wrong positions?
    That output almost looks like it came from one of ExoPlaSim's "snapshot" files, at least when I mistakenly use those to generate climates I get similar weird distributions of Med climates like in that example. I guess it could also come from the fact that a 16 year simulation isn't yet converged, so it could have wacky thermal / precipitation parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBragg View Post
    That output almost looks like it came from one of ExoPlaSim's "snapshot" files, at least when I mistakenly use those to generate climates I get similar weird distributions of Med climates like in that example. I guess it could also come from the fact that a 16 year simulation isn't yet converged, so it could have wacky thermal / precipitation parameters.
    I guess I have to try to mess with that program too... but is it worth the whole job of installation and so on ? Its seeming overly conplicate to me if the result is getting a 256 pixel map when I usually work at over 20k scale ?

I think this was way back before Ostimeus had released the script anywhere so don't worry about it

I think this was way back before Ostimeus had released the script anywhere so don't worry about it
    What do you mean ? I was trying to follow the tut on WBP but i found a bit of confusion on where to put Low pressure circles.

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    What do you mean ? I was trying to follow the tut on WBP but i found a bit of confusion on where to put Low pressure circles.
    Sorry, was replying to bragg earlier regarding the image2sra script, I haven't used old-school forums in ages, I didn't remember how the reply stuff worked.

Congratz on finishing the topograhy, MrBragg! I think you must be the first one to have finished a planetary-scale elevation map built with this kind of technique and detail (makes me think I should get off my lazy arse and get some progress done on my own project).

It is also very interesting to see ExoPlaSim being used for climate modelling. Love seeing that this kind of simulation software (even with some things not being modelled) is available as freeware for the use of hobbyist like us these days. I have to admit that I might be a bit rusty when it comes to the climates, but at a quick glance the "big picture" seems about right in the simulation output (dry areas where they should be and so forth). Though I'm sure there's still a place for the more manual methods (such as the one used in Azelor's tutorial), I think it's very valuable especially for those less familiar with the climate-stuff to have a more model-based approach that is less reliant on the user's own intuition and knowledge.

Old post ... delete plz.
    Last edited by Naima; 01-02-2023 at 11:58 AM.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast