Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bonded Jaw (TTRPG project)

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Help Bonded Jaw (TTRPG project)

Hi there!

Today I am here to ask advice on three things really.

I would have just chipped away at this one behind the scenes, but I'm starting to get to place where going forward with this project means I need input from cartographers and hopefully people that have played many a fantasy RPG like DnD or Pathfinder.

So, just a little note before I post the map. I started with the World Map with quite a bit of variety in major biomes before I chose a certain block to which I started going into more details. I'm just posting half the world map here to give the idea.

Half of the full map.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World of Fjords_Preview_v2.jpeg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	124733

So then there's the smaller block,

Name:	Bonded Jaw_Start_v1.jpeg 
Views:	55 
Size:	490.0 KB 
ID:	124734

### Latest WIP ###
    Now the actual map where I need some advise,

Name:	Bonded Jaw_v1_Preview.jpeg 
Views:	78 
Size:	3.72 MB 
ID:	124735

First and quite important. There is something I am struggling with on this map. I don't how to best represent forests on this map? I can do single trees fine. But I am currently coming up blank on how to represent my forests. This is the main reason this thread exists. I would appreciate advise a lot.

The idea was to have a map for an RPG where there is bond between two oceans, giving the option of two routes to cross to the other continent via two distinct areas with their own unique dangers. This question is for more experienced RPG people: Does the idea appeal to you?
    Thirdly, what kind of places would you like me to name for this map, in consideration to host campaigns on it. This, as I said, is a RPG project and thus you have the opportunity to help me name places of interest for when I am ready to release all the maps for players to enjoy.

A side note, any map related advise is also welcome,
    Omri
    Last edited by XCali; 09-02-2020 at 10:03 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Hi

Today started tackling the river edge shading a bit and land. I did add another set of really big trees, the dancing giants. Still... I am yet to figure out how to best represent forests on this map. What do you all think?

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Bonded Jaw_v2_Preview.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	3.74 MB 
ID:	124748

My web novels
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ Psalm 19

Hi Omri, how are you?

I'm so pleased to see a new map from you! It looks great! Yeah, I know, that's not constructive.

You're not the only one wanting to find a better way to do forests - doing one tree is easy, but an entire forest... I usually just copy and paste the same tree, but not a finished one, just a very rough one. I make it into a brush. Then I paint over to add some detail and variety, but not too much. I guess it comes down to creating some design assets first, and then placing them on your map. I try to keep mine looking very generic, so I can easily customize the look by painting over. If you make more than one brush, you'll get more variety, though it requires some switching between them while you work, which takes more time. But, as you've probably noticed, the more effort you put into something, the better the end result.

You can also add more distinctive trees around the edge of the forest to pull the eye away from the generic lump of trees.

I'll let you know if I think of something else later, I have to get to work now. Have a wonderful day!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    Hi Omri, how are you?

I'm so pleased to see a new map from you! It looks great! Yeah, I know, that's not constructive.

You're not the only one wanting to find a better way to do forests - doing one tree is easy, but an entire forest... I usually just copy and paste the same tree, but not a finished one, just a very rough one. I make it into a brush. Then I paint over to add some detail and variety, but not too much. I guess it comes down to creating some design assets first, and then placing them on your map. I try to keep mine looking very generic, so I can easily customize the look by painting over. If you make more than one brush, you'll get more variety, though it requires some switching between them while you work, which takes more time. But, as you've probably noticed, the more effort you put into something, the better the end result.

You can also add more distinctive trees around the edge of the forest to pull the eye away from the generic lump of trees.

I'll let you know if I think of something else later, I have to get to work now. Have a wonderful day!

I'm good, thank you for asking.
    And I am glad you like the map. I'm having fun with it even if the forests for it are making me scratch my head.

Tx for the advise. I was thinking in that line anyway. I think I was hoping for feedback on what type of forest representation I should go for considering the style of the map. It is a little conundrum.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Okay, so I wanted to tackle the oceans a bit while I figure out the forests. There are quite a bit of tweaks on this version. But I would like to know if the forest idea I'm doing here works for you all?

Forest Experiment 1

Name:	Bonded Jaw_Forest_Experiment_v1.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	769.1 KB 
ID:	124780

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Bonded Jaw_v3_Preview.jpeg 
Views:	34 
Size:	3.78 MB 
ID:	124779

EDIT:
    I wanted to try something with my labels. Do you like it?

Name:	Bonded Jaw_Label_Experiment_v1.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	288.1 KB 
ID:	124783
    Last edited by XCali; 09-06-2020 at 02:08 PM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

One thing you could do is create, or download, a seamless tile pattern for your forest, I'm assuming you're using Photoshop or something very similar. Then create a new layer and fill it with the pattern. Put a layer mask over the top of it 'and paint' in the bulk of your forest, then just put some trunks where they would be visible and some individual trees and copses to make it look less pattern like. Butch Curry did an excellent series on YouTube; Fantasy cartography with Adobe Photoshop, if I recall correctly. Also, take at Jonathon Roberts' (aka Torstan here) fantastic Maps site. he has plenty of tips & tricks.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Quote Originally Posted by damonjynx View Post
    One thing you could do is create, or download, a seamless tile pattern for your forest, I'm assuming you're using Photoshop or something very similar. Then create a new layer and fill it with the pattern. Put a layer mask over the top of it 'and paint' in the bulk of your forest, then just put some trunks where they would be visible and some individual trees and copses to make it look less pattern like. Butch Curry did an excellent series on YouTube; Fantasy cartography with Adobe Photoshop, if I recall correctly. Also, take at Jonathon Roberts' (aka Torstan here) fantastic Maps site. he has plenty of tips & tricks.
    Thanks for taking the time. One can also use more feedback when it comes to doing maps.

While I have you here, can I ask you question? You have run campaigns and the sort yes, I believe we talked about it somewhere? Anyway, are there locations you would like to explore specifically on this map, and what is your draw to the location? I am creating this map for campaigns, so I would much appreciate getting feedback on that. Thanks in advance!

-----------------------------------------------
    Okay, so I tried a forest technique here for the Taiga Biome. Does it work for you all?

Name:	Bonded Jaw_Forest_Experiment_v2.jpeg 
Views:	36 
Size:	4.66 MB 
ID:	124860

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Bonded Jaw_v4_Preview.jpeg 
Size:	3.98 MB 
ID:	124861

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Hi everyone,

Today, I tackled my second forest for the map. Its a bit different, but I think it came out alright.

Name:	Bonded Jaw_Forest_Experiment_v3.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	124870

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Bonded Jaw_v5_Preview.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	4.18 MB 
ID:	124871

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Hi!

Okay, so I getting to a place where I am satisfied with the style for the forest. Now is the time to post feedback if something of the forest style is bugging you.

Secondly, I would uber appreciate to brainstorm a bit with people who have played a lot of TTRPG on where and what to name places for this map. (Remember this one is going to be released for the very purpose of people running campaigns on it, so any input will only make the map more fun.)

SHROOOMS!!!

Name:	Bonded Jaw_Forest_Experiment_v4.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	124898

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Bonded Jaw_v6_Preview.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	4.22 MB 
ID:	124899
    Last edited by XCali; 09-10-2020 at 07:19 AM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Hi, well what can I say. We have more shrooms.

At least that one is finished, now there remain one major jungle left and two subs maybe. After that I'm getting to the actual naming of places. Which I would still appreciate some brainstorming over.

Name:	Bonded Jaw_Forest_Experiment_v5.jpeg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	124912

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Bonded Jaw_v7_Preview.jpeg 
Size:	4.28 MB 
ID:	124913

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast