Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Cathedral Galaxy

I'm calling it done! Here's the Finished Map post: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=48450

It turns out I can't just let this setting go...here is test at a regional map of one of the nations on the larger galactic map, the Mariner Worlds. The crop shows the region in question, plus the first warp anchor in any connected regions. I enlarged the image, but replaced the landmark drawings with their original size drawings (filling in the opened space with clone-stamp stars). Then I erased the color shading and borders for the Mariner Worlds, and simultaneously increased the opacity of the other regions' color shading while also graying them out. I've added tributary warp passages to the anchor network, showing only those lesser channels in the Mariner Worlds. I added names for some landmarks - drawings will come later - and callouts indicating the home worlds of native peoples from this region.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CathedralGalaxy_Mariner_210101.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	127611

Obviously, there's some work to do on the text positioning and content. If I do all the nations the way I want, there will be 10 regional maps to go with the larger galactic map. Maybe I will put some additional lore on each, since their shapes are so non-rectangular I'll be left with some space to play with.

Here's some more work on the Mariner Worlds as a regional map. I've added additional lore and points of interest. Since the Mariners are wanderers by nature, I've outlined some of their favorite routes with way stations.

I will have to draw and scan the Pinnace Clouds and Buoys before I color them in, and I think I might do that for all the regional maps at once - so I will probably leave this here and try another region next. Of course, I'm happy to take constructive criticisms! How does this look?

Name:	CathedralGalaxy_Mariner_210109.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	127709

I'm now taking a stab at a more complicated regional map - the Imperium of the Triumvirate!

This one is a shape that leaves lots of empty space in a rectangular image, so it's getting a little more lore and historical details. This is also a nation with sub-regions, and I'm still thinking about how to do those in a style that stays closer to the Mariner Worlds regional map than to the overall galactic map.

Name:	CathedralGalaxy_Imperium_210122.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	4.60 MB 
ID:	127936

I figured out a good brush to make dust lanes!

Name:	CathedralGalaxy_Imperium_210128.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	4.99 MB 
ID:	128038

I'm looking for feedback on a couple things (or in general).
    1. What do you think of the Imperium's interior borders (purple)?
    2. What do you think of the call-out labels? Should they highlight stars any differently, like with little circles around them?
    Last edited by jshoer; 01-29-2021 at 12:01 AM.

Hey all, a little while ago I decided to test a different appearance for the interior province borders -- something a little more in keeping with other parts of the map. How do you like it?

Name:	CathedralGalaxy_Imperium_210204.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	5.04 MB 
ID:	128744

Just wanted to comment and say I love how this has developed. It's very beautiful and I understand not allowing something to stay finished. Great work!

Thanks!

I was thinking about what other kind of information one might need on a map of the Imperium...and, clearly, that would be the locations of legion garrisons. I made the labels small and didn't worry too much about setting them off from the background stars because they are secondary to the rest of the map, but they help add a sense of there being more "stuff" in the map.

Name:	CathedralGalaxy_Imperium_210329.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	5.25 MB 
ID:	129097

Here's another region: The Traders' Rim. Here, highlighting resources and trade seems like the obvious thing to do.

Name:	CathedralGalaxy_TradersRim_210420.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	129395

On the side, I've been working on line art for the various space stations and astrophysical landmarks, which I'll scan in and use to replace the sketches you see now.

It is quite daunting to try and replicate a galaxy and I am really enjoying what you've done here.

Went to give you rep and realised I can't, already did so for the last competition.
    Last edited by TimetoDraw; 04-21-2021 at 06:35 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast