Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: WIP-Renaissance forts-Awhayji Resources

Info

I used "SketchUp Make 2017" and the extension called "Bitmap to Mesh".

I got the greyscale gradient from tangrams heightmapper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0.026952632591590312.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	357.1 KB 
ID:	132992Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0.026952969294809087 - no lines.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	196.3 KB 
ID:	132993

And I did the aligning phase using the lines of the streets from tangram's site and a "first stage" taken from Iberpix to get where the medieval fort was placed:

Name:	iberpixHeigtmap.PNG 
Views:	8 
Size:	519.7 KB 
ID:	132991

When setting the X to Z scale, I used the number that tangram's site provides.

Wip

I finally finished the heightmap. Heightmaps following this tutorial are VERY slow to make if you don't have high processing power (took me 3-4 hours to wait for SketchUp to finally charge it all). anything like an intel-i7 or higher I guess should do fine.

Here are some shots:

Name:	Finaly almost done.PNG 
Views:	13 
Size:	378.0 KB 
ID:	132994Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Done.PNG 
Views:	15 
Size:	343.0 KB 
ID:	132995

I'm doubting between making the buildings in another file and then importing them to this one or making them directly on this file even with the slowness of moving around...

Info

Sorry for keeping the Burgos Castle at a hiatus, I was geeking all over Fort Rikasoli (Valletta, Malta).

Look at those huge geometrical walls...

Name:	FortRikasoliLines.PNG 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	133087
    Last edited by 4maram; 03-22-2022 at 08:24 PM.

Map

If you remember, some posts ago, (12-02-2020, 08:41 AM) I talked about irregular forts, so I just made one and I'm releasing it here.

Name:	Captura de pantalla de 2022-03-25 17-42-31.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	133101

It has a hornwerk on the back-left side of the fort, and a crownwerk on the right side.
    In front of every other side of the fort there's a ravelin.
    The extended hill in every side is the glacis.
    Last edited by 4maram; 03-26-2022 at 09:57 AM.

If you remember the 4-bastion fort at the beginning od this thread, I'm going to make the floor plans for it.

Okay, here comes an asset:

Stronghold cannon plus carriage(?) in Spanish: cureña, the place where you put the cannon. It has 5 parts:

-Parapet: it protects the cannon from the front as much as possible. It varies in thickness between locations, from 0.5 to 5 meters.

-Cannon: Cylindrical tube closed on one end. Made of iron or bronze. It shoots bullets. In this case 24-pound bullets, so it's a 24 pounder.

-Front-back-moving carriage: it's the usual rectangular piece of wood with 2 vertical sides, another vertical piece near the front, 4 wheels and 2 stump-holders, where the cannon's stumps are supported.

-Direction/Turning carriage: It's a pair of rails where the 4 wheeled carriage rests. It has between 3 and 5 crossbeams, a pivoting place and 3 wheels. It usually has some inclination, so the cannon tends to go down into the battery. The inclination helps with the recoil. At the other end of the rails there is a windlass where a chain winds to control how much down can the cannon go.

-Rails and Pivot: Is the only part of the cannon that remains after the cannon is retired or disarmed. The rails are a pair for the two front and the back direction wheels.

Asset: Stronghold cannon:

Name:	Captura de pantalla de 2022-11-11 19-18-03-2.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	134614

One cool thing about it is that if you want to make a battery of cannons, you just put 4 or 5 times the photo, and you're done.

WATCH OUT, You will need to edit the image a bit before actually placing it down, to avoid including the black border lines of the parapet and the gray color of the background.

The parapet colors are okay for a stronghold battery.

Hi, I got more data for the 5-pointed star fort.

From real data, they used a 500 strong crew for the fort, and each bastion had only 4 cannons, and 8 places available to put a cannon.
    If a cannon was needed elsewere, they moved it, probably over wooden or stone rails. Each cannon montage weighted almost 3 tons (as in 2972 Kg).
    I'm assumming they used 4 36-pounders, so that makes a total of 20 36-ps, which makes a cannon crew of (14-per cannon) 280 people, 20 of them officers, and another 20 kids dedicated to the ferrying of the gunpowder cartridges from the mini-powder keg to their cannon.

Behind each orillon, there was one mini-powder keg reserved for each cannon of that half of the bastion, and a stash of cannonballs that was transported by crane to the cannon. Give it 2 men per crane, 10 orillons make another 20 men for that task. That can be reduced to 10 men, 2 per bastion, intermittently servicing one crane or the other.

That leaves 310 people dedicated to the servicing of the cannons and their reload.
    The rest 190 make soldiers, cavalry, officers and servicing/food crew.
    Last edited by 4maram; 01-28-2024 at 05:16 AM. Reason: making spaces to facilitate reading

Also, I have 1 bastion from the the 5-pSF (effectively one 5th of the fort) sliced into planes/maps of each floor. I may release it here later today.

Map

Okay, here are the floors of one slice of one fifth of the 5-bastion fort, from top to bottom, think of it as if it was a pizza:

LEGEND:
    White with straight black lines in a crossing pattern (XXX) -> something solid, usually stone, bricks or ashlar. It means there's a wall there.
    White circles over black or black circumferences over white -> there's nothing there, there's void, open air, whatever you went to call it.
    White with straight black parallel lines with dots -> compacted earth.
    Gray -> there's either a flat surface or a slightly inclined surface.

Reference points: Every floor map has 4 corners that are at the same position (horizontally speaking) as on the other maps

Top surfaces (parapet/breastwork so not exactly a floor):

Name:	Parapeto-5p-bastion.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	136940

Top floor, walkway, where you can begin to install cannons, at the fronts of the bastion and at the flanks.

Name:	adarve-5p-bastion.png 
Size:	217.9 KB 
ID:	136941

Intermediate surfaces in the form of a ramp to access the bastion, slopes behind the curtains to give them stability and another parapet for the orillon gun emplacement.

Name:	Talud+Rampa-5p-bastion.png 
Size:	384.6 KB 
ID:	136942

Main floor, the parade ground or barracks square, where the facilities usually are. Here there are usually some buildings to serve as barracks, the main powder keg, the church, the mess hall, etc. Also, there are a pair of tunnels that lead to the gun emplacements that can be made behind the orillons. At those gun emplacements, there's also a mini-powder keg for every gun in the bastion, in cupboards in the wall and a stash of cannon balls.

Name:	Plaza-5p-bastion.png 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	136943

Glacis. An artificial ramp made of compacted earth that covers the foundations of the fort from enemy cannonfire Its higher edge (the one closest to the fort) is about 1.7 meters above the level of the main floor. the lower edge is about 0.5 meters below the level of the main floor.

Name:	Glacis-5p-bastion.png 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	136944

Camino de ronda (Parapet walk according to Google Translate). It's an advanced ditch, about 1.8 meters below the higher edge of the glacis. From where you can easily defend the glacis with muskets if there's not enough space at the walkway.

Name:	ronda-5p-bastion.png 
Size:	263.9 KB 
ID:	136945

Moat, ditch. Deep hole that separates the fort from the glacis and the parapet walk. It's covered by the guns behind the orillons and the guns at the flanks of the bastion.

Name:	foso- 5p-bastion.png 
Size:	266.6 KB 
ID:	136946

Finally, if you put all the maps at their appropiate heights, eliminate the "void" textures and you take a step back, you may see the form of the bastion:

Name:	juntos-5p-bastion.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	136947

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234