Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP-Awhayji Proyect

Wip WIP-Awhayji Proyect

This is a proyect I have been working on for a few time.

It's a plausible map that includes climates and "limited" resources. It's situated in the equivalent to our Modern Age (1440-1750).

Ships, forts, cities, bastions and battles. Pirates, sieges, conquests, rebellions, incursions and wars. All of that was done on certain settings, and I'll (some day) design the places where it took place and where it will happen.

For now I'm just developing the main regional map. This release displays a fraction of it.

Here are some coastlines(black) and tectonic plates limits(red)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Awhayji1 - Tectonic.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	126093

Here's an update of the map. The main mountain ranges are roughly shaped.

Name:	Awhayji2 - MountainRanges.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	126126

Wip

Here is the rest of the development I made for the map.

Name:	Awhayji3 - Watersheds.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	126151
    Here I divided the continents into watersheds to know the lines where rivers should go (if they aren't dry).

Name:	Awhayji4- Plateaus.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	126152
    Plateaus are painted in yellow. These can either be a landscape full of hills or plains.

Name:	Awhayji5- DepressionsAndBassins.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	126153
    Depressions are painted in green. Marshes can only appear near rivers on these zones.

Name:	Awhayji6 - LowerHeightMap.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	126154

Name:	Awhayji7 - HigherHeightMap.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	126155
    Heightmap.

Name:	Awhayji10 - MainWindCurrents.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	126156
    Main wind currents. They decide in which general way the wind go. They define wether a valley is full of life or is a dry wasteland.

Name:	Awhayji11 - DrySide,WetSide.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	126157
    This last one will deicide which part of the mountains is the humid side and the dry side.

Next up is going to come the main resources outcroppings.
    In the early ages, valuable resources were salt, stone, marble, copper, tin, silver, gold, iron, mercury, sulphur, wood, fertile land, horses, fish, slaves, water, pottery, whool, fabrics, silk and climates that permitted to grow the different crops (vine, grain, oil (olives), corn, etc.).

Here I post the coastlines compared to a real world map at similar latitudes.

Name:	Awhayji9.1.1 - SomePerspective1.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	169.1 KB 
ID:	126310
    Here is a comparison with North America.

Name:	Awhayji9.1.2 - SomePerspective2.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	190.3 KB 
ID:	126309
    Here, a comparison with Europe.

Name:	Awhayji9.1.3 - SomePerspective3.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	126308
    And here is a comparison with Pacific Asia.

This will partially help me to select the climates on each landmass.
    Last edited by 4maram; 11-16-2020 at 10:35 AM.

Here goes the sea currents and sea temperature. This is a major advancement towards climate development.

Name:	Awhayji12 - SeaCurrentsAndTemp.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	126333

Wip

Here goes the sea currents and sea temperature. This is a major advancement towards climate development.

Name:	Awhayji12 - SeaCurrentsAndTemp.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	126335

By the way, the channel between the two south-eastern continents, is a newly formed rift, so there's low probability of encountering a salt deposit over there. However, sulphur is probable to be found near volcanic areas such as those.
    Oil deposits are likely to have formed at the desert of the continent on the south east.
    Marble and limestone are likely to be found on the youngest mountains (composed of sedimental rocks lifted by tectonic pressure).
    Heavy metals will be scattered mostly on old plains and mountains, that have survived the erosion from the asteriod bombardment that the primitive Earth received.
    That's right, most heavy metal deposits are places where asteroids impacted Earth a long time ago, when the atmosphere was nearly non-existent.

Whoops! I made a map of the sea currents BEFORE making a map of the sea floor!
    I already had an aproximation for the climate map <cries>.

Well, don't take that last map as real. It is not. The real sea current map will come when I finish the sea heightmap, because warm sea currents go shallower, and cold sea currents go deeper, so, for example, that cold sea current on the center of the map that goes from NW to SE between the two central islands can't exist if those are shallow waters (200-500 m deep).

Also, that will mean that I have to re-make the wind-currents-map, and the humidSide/drySide map... <cries again>.

Wip

Here's the map of the continental platforms. In brown the platforms and oceanic dorsals, in white are either abysal plains or oceanic trenches. As you can see, on the North-West quarter of the map, off the continental platform there is a very large volcanic archipielago.

Name:	Awhayji10.1 - SeaFloorHeightContinentalPlatforms.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	126408

Here are the ocean currents, dominant direction is from left to right.
    -Warm currents go in orange, from the equator towards the polar circles, and near the surface.
    -Cold currents go in blue, from the polar circles to the equator, and through deep water (mostly not over continental platforms)

Name:	Awhayji10.2 - SeaTemperatureAndCurrents.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	126409

here are the main winds (blue arrows). For the most part they go the same direction as the warm sea currents.

Name:	Awhayji10.3 - WindCurrents.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	126410

Next will come the map where is shown the dry/humid side of each mountain, and then the climatic map.

Regarding climates, when a cold sea current passes near the coast, usually there won't be any evaporation on that patch of sea, so deserts tend to sprout at the coast near those zones. An example of that situation is the Nazca desert, in Peru, South America.
    Last edited by 4maram; 11-19-2020 at 03:31 PM.

Wip

Here's the final release of the map depicting which side of each mountain is the humid side and which is the dry side, also, there are some temperate deserts at the eastern coast of the centered-north continent.

Name:	Awhayji10.4 - humidOrDryType.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	126481

If there's anything that you think is incoherent with the things shown so far, please comment about it.
    Also, you will win a cyber cookie if you're able to identify which REAL coast has inspired the coast of two of the shown continents.

Next should come the climatic map, and then the forest/rainforest/taiga/desert/snow (Visual/satellite) map.
    After that, I'll have to decide where the main resources (those not yet shown) will be, and that will let me develop the map with main cities, roads, and sea paths.
    Then we can make a (mental/imaginary) simulation of the empires that flourished and fell, and when we reach our desired time period we hit pause and we begin to develop militar architecture (which was the main objective of this project).
    Who knows, maybe I begin to make a book placed here...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast