Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KRITA program

The first part is copied from my reply to the spammers post, which could do with being here. "Blummin' sneaky that! Meanwhile, the real Mal is still beavering away trying to figure my way through Krita, so I'm still using Paint dot net. I've discovered it's fine for flat places like Holland and North Germany, but it's going to be a nightmare once I get to more mountainous regions such as the Alps!! AAARRRGGGHHH! I need a simpler way of showing contouring than hachures.
    Happy Christmas and New Year to everyone by the way."
    Since I posted that, I THINK I've figured out how to do all the hachuring. In a new layer, I outline the top of the hachures in mid-brown and mark where they end on a separate layer, then use a rake blender to draw the hachures down to the base marks. It's still going to be pretty time consuming, but hey, it's quicker than doing each one on its own! I'm trying a second, lighter line part way down so the colour lightens slightly.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP part.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	9.11 MB 
ID:	127549
    How would you do it, Ilanthar and XploringMap?
    This is a WIP. I'm still deciding on the style and textures I want to use. I'm working on multiple layers :-sea, land base, rivers, roads, woods, heath, marsh and meadow layers plus settlements and separate ones for lettering and cartouches. That way, if I change my mind (which I'm doing a bit too often) I can simply hide a layer and add another. I feel as though I am making progress at last though and changes are becoming less frequent.

Are you trying to use Krita without a tablet? Because honestly without one it kinda sucks. If that is the case I'd recommend using GIMP, it's more mouse friendly, but more than that I'd recommend getting a tablet, it's a game changer. Alternatively I'd recommend using an svg program like Inkscape so you can control your lines and objects completely with nodes.

That said I think your map is turning out pretty well so far.

I have a tablet Falconius but prefer to use my PC. It's quicker and I get on better with a larger screen. I'm slowly getting to figure Krita out and I think I'll end up enjoying using it, though I'll probably still some of the basic work on Paint dot net. I've tried using GIMP but can't seem to be able to fathom it out. I don't know what it is about it though. The map is one part of 240ish that make up "Germania" -Germany plus the Austrian Empire in 1807. I'll be fine as long as I keep taking the dried frog pills though!!

I think Falconius meant a tablet as in a graphics tablet, that you hook up to your PC. Wacom or one of its competitors Makes drawing things and thus mapping that much easier!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Do you maybe know if there is a way to set scaling ratio locked in Krita? It is free by default and it resets to free when tools are changed and as result I waste a lot of time when I forget to check it...

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by XploringMap View Post
    I use Krita almost 3 years now, I don't think there is something that you can't do.
    My guess the only thing lacking would be Layer Styles, which is the case also with GIMP.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12