Thread: Learning to use a tablet

Default Learning to use a tablet

Does anyone have suggestions for resources (web page, you tube video or channel, etc.) for someone who is knew to tablets? I will be getting one for the holidays (as I am sure others will) and would like to have a list ready to explore once it is set up.

I think the other distinction to make would be I am fine with general tablet usage but would value anything from the cartography standpoint more. I know there is a stronger concentration to more traditional drawing in the tablet world since they are more numerous, so I will certainly look at those with an eye toward applying the techniques, but if possible I would like to initially limit the information overload if I can.

- Ernie
    Content available for use under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0.

I... think the only way to get used to it is to just use it lots. You can also do exercises of drawing circles, ellipses, straight lines and connecting random dots every day, but I'm not sure that is worthwhile (I did do that for a while though).

The learning curve is something only you can get through. I never did any strokes/lines/etc, just did doodle drawings I'd never show to anyone because they're crap. There are 2 tablet modes: a direct mapping of your screen to the shape of the tablet, and 'mouse mode' where it can move faster or slower depending on the speed of your stroke. Play with both. Tablet mode is necessary if you want to trace a physical picture. Tablet mode is the only way a screen tablet works (because you put pen to screen). For a disjointed tablet, however, you may enjoy either mode. I preferred mouse mode for years, for speed when using it like a mouse. The trick for cartographers is to use the buttons on the tablet and pen wisely. I mapped one button to right click and the other pen button to 'alt' for color picking with just my pen, and I use the side buttons for different tools, and resizing my brush, zooming, and panning.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Not sure how it's different for "Cartographers" to be honest. It seems a "Cartographer" is just an artist who makes maps. True, you can go more scientific and all that but at the end of the day it's about creating a visual representation. Some folks use functions and stuff to create most of their maps but there are many who just paint it same way they would paint a portrait. What you need is to become comfortable with using it so you feel about the same as you do when using a pencil and paper.

Personally, I just used it as a mouse for a couple days and that go me over the initial oddness. After that I started a project using it and that was that.

You will be surprised how quickly you adapt to it.

The software you use may be another matter. I had to go quite a few rounds with Photoshop before I finally felt like I could come close to the same thing I would get from traditional methods.

Just don't give up and you WILL do it.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt