Thread: How to prepare real height data to create fantasy heightmaps with QGIS and Photoshop

Default How to prepare real height data to create fantasy heightmaps with QGIS and Photoshop

This is a tutorial I wrote for some folks on Reddit and I figured out it would be helpful to everyone here: https://skalimoi.github.io/articles/...htmap-tutorial

I tried to make it easy by using only one software, QGIS, while other tutorials I've read on the matter need more programs that are not easy to master, like GDAL or ArcGIS. I myself had problems following these due to the high requirements, so I hope my tutorial will help those who are not tech-savvy.

Default How to prepare real height data to create fantasy heightmaps with QGIS and Photoshop

Thanks Skalimoi

Exactly what I was lookin for.

Another source I have used for QGIS tutorials is GIS Geography - https://gisgeography.com/qgis-tutori...to-use-qgis-3/

They have some great tutorials on how to get started for building maps in QGIS 3. A lot of the basic stuff for print layouts and some cool 3D animations..

Do you ever use ArcGIS Pro or ArcGIS Desktop for building maps? I know there's a bit of cost to using this software but ArcGIS Pro gives a bit more to the user to start off with like a variety of map symbols and other elements.

Many thanks for that tutorial. It has been very useful.
    However, I was unable to use the additional command line "-scale MIN MAX 0 65535", even by setting the correct limits. Everytime, I have an error message. However, without it, I could convert my merged image into a .png at 16 bits.

The gradiant is definitively a bonus

Edit: here is a quick preview of the heightmap (resized to fit here):

Note that I've added the land edges in white for a better view. The red square is the area in which the game is supposed to take place.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; 02-26-2021 at 10:59 AM.

Do anybody know how fix my problem? Unfortunately, after merge, it shows a black square.

And some small advices.
    If you use Photoshop, don't limit yourself to curves or layer transparency. You can use different layer blending options like multiply or soft light. Don't be afraid to copy the heightmap and apply it as a mask to itself. Inversion (CTRL+I)will help transform a high mountain into a deep canyon.

Different problem:

I'm using 7.5arcsec data for all of North America including Central America and a bit of South America- basically the Americas north of the equator.

I have gone through Skalimoi's instructions and it all seems to work- it even lists the full path for the output file- but I can't find the damned thing. Using file search produces nothing but a shortcut with the same name in Recent files, for some reason.

Is my file just too big or something?

EDIT-- I figured it out, I was misunderstanding the tutorial's instructions on the -scale operator. For the record, it needs four numbers. So mine looked like this:

-scale -79 5634 0 65536
    Last edited by acrosome; 05-10-2021 at 08:43 PM.

@ acrosome, that could be the solution to the problem I've met at that step as well. Thanks for sharing this.

Question

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to ask if anyone else was still having issues with the conversion process at the end of the QGIS part of the guide? I've tried the -scale -0 0 0 65535 format, in my case it was -scale -412 7995 0 65535 and haven't had any luck.

Blog Entries

i have not used QGis in a long time ,however i normally use Nip2 ( a gui to the vips image library )
    it is a cross between Excel and Gimp and it has math functions that i use to normalize a image to 0-65535

the vips image lib
    https://github.com/libvips/libvips/releases

and the nip2 gui
    https://github.com/libvips/nip2

there is a bit of a learning curve to using this software and i normally forget about seeing as i have been using it for many years

but as to your error

it might be a issue with GDAL
    QGis is after a front end to GDAL

What Operating system are you using and how did you install Qgiss and GDAL
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---