Thread: Dromdal Manse

Guild Adept Guild Sponsor

Default Dromdal Manse

In the November 2005 issue of Dungeon Magazine (#128, page 18 ), F. Wesley Schneider and James Sutter published a short adventure entitled Shut In. It was a creepy tale of a serial killer, a shut-in, and grown woman stifled in her mother's shadow; and earlier this year I decided to run it, porting the characters forward from D&D 3.5 to Pathfinder 1e rules.

Paizo has made the original maps available in the Dungeon Magazine #128 Web Supplement (see page 14), which they still faithfully host on their web site all these years later. May blessings be upon their heads for that.

However, they were very low resolution, as they were produced long before Virtual Table Top software became widespread. MapTool existed, barely, having been released in January of 2005, but it cannot have been terribly common at that point.

And so I decided to remake them! Here we go:

Floor 1:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dromdal-Manse-Floor-01-no-grid.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	3.06 MB 
ID:	127180

Floor 2:

Name:	Dromdal-Manse-Floor-02-no-grid.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	127181

Floor 3:

Name:	Dromdal-Manse-Floor-03-no-grid.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	885.6 KB 
ID:	127182

Basement:

Name:	Dromdal-Manse-Secret-Chamber-no-grid.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	553.5 KB 
ID:	127178

Secret Chamber of Horrors:

Name:	Dromdal-Manse-Basement-no-grid.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	161.3 KB 
ID:	127179

These maps lack a grid, and do not have doors. Should you want such things, there are variants of both in the associated Shut In Album, which includes versions with and without doors and with and without a grid. In case you want to use the doorless version, I also included an asset for the hidden servant's door so that it can blend in smoothly with the walls around it.

The scale is 100px to the five-foot square.

They were produced in Photoshop CS6 using a variety of textures from textures.com and assets from the Dundjinni forums, which continue to be helpful even though Dundjinni itself has been moribund for years.

Should you wish to read the adventure itself -- which is well worth it, it's short and good -- then you will need to locate a copy of Dungeon Magazine #128. Paizo sells it in PDF or (amazingly, considering the age of it) print. There's also a digital copy of the issue in the Internet Archive, which has a complete run of every issue of Dungeon. I would link to it, but I'm not clear on how that works with copyright, so if you want to go look it up there you're on your own.

I made a few small changes vis-a-vis the original maps. The entrance to the cellar was originally next to the side door, not in the kitchen; so I moved it to the kitchen, because that made no sense. I also added assorted bits of decoration. However, everything that is referred to in the adventure should be present in the maps.

The hardest part was making an elevator. I did not have any suitable drop-in asset, so I had to devise one of my own.

Anyway, these have been sitting on my hard drive collecting dust since I finished them and ran the adventure in June of this year. I hope you all can find some use for them, even if it is as another manor house in an entirely different adventure.
    Last edited by wdmartin; 12-14-2020 at 09:49 PM. Reason: putting in a space to correct a mistaken emoticon

Thanks for sharing!

- E
    Content available for use under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0.

Guild Adept Guild Sponsor

Sure thing.

Thanks wd, great job! I may have to run this one!

I really enjoy the blurring effect for the 2nd and 3rd floors! Nicely done

Also, this adventure sounds right up my alley, I agree with Bogie that I may have to try this one out.