Thread: ISOMORPHIC Map of Subterranean Dwarf Country (Aztec/Spartan/Vegetarian)

Default ISOMORPHIC Map of Subterranean Dwarf Country (Aztec/Spartan/Vegetarian)

This is a tough one, so I hope some of you are excited by a challenge. The Hallowed Halls of Ixto are a vast underground (and partially aboveground) dwarfen nation. Probably around 3-4 cities and 11-12 other sites I'll want for sure on the map, with room for the cartographer to put her own stamp on things as well. 300 DPI, of course, maybe 6000x4500 but we can discuss size. Commercial use for me and for you as well. Happy to discuss rates at {christopher===dot===m===dot===mcfarland===at===gm ail===dot===com} |replace dot with . and at with @ also although equality is a big deal in Ixto remove the equals signs|

But yeah, the aesthetic is Aztec, the preoccupation is justice and community, the attitude is intense and Spartan, and the crops are somehow grown without sunlight. You interested? I'm honestly excited to see what you can do. Attached are 3 isometric dungeon maps, in case you're not quite clear of the depth I'm finding necessary for a truly dwarfen map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sd4DwL5.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	363.7 KB 
ID:	127232

Name:	ggo1H8Z.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	189.4 KB 
ID:	127233

Name:	jJwLEC1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	127234

Hope y'all are having a healthy and happy holiday season. Thanks for reading my request.

Christopher

Thanks to kateam for the amazing Commission:

Name:	BWaMIsH.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	133731
    Last edited by WeWithTorches; 06-18-2022 at 11:36 AM. Reason: taken and completed!

But what if the plantlife has photosynthesis triggered by a different spectrum than the green of our current world? You could create a symbiosis relationship with a parasitic moss that feeds primarily on proteins that ooze in from the decomposition of the existent plant life, and then it emits a chemical compound that causes the correct spectrum of light for the plants it feeds on with a chemical chain reaction. If the plant life is say, overall dark purple leaf, it will also soak up more light than a lighter leaf surface plant. Adapting better to limited light. So, chlorophyll goes through a phase of fluorescing as it moves from neutral to excited. So maybe if when the parasitic fungal plant feeds on its desired non-light based proteins it triggers a fluorescent phase as its transition, and this light happens to be the correct spectrum for the primary edible plants to trigger their own chlorophyll reactionary phase, and maybe they also fluoresce on the transitional activation, creating this rippling wave of dim light that cascades over the cavern, moving back and forth like the breathing of an enormous collaborative lung. If any plant is removed from this biosphere, it will fail, requiring the teamwork of these specifically chosen plants that work together in this fashion. All of the plants have naturally darker leaves that soak up more light that comes into contact, requiring less light per day as the effect fades as the catalytic plant runs out of its favourite protein. As long as the gardener comes by and feeds that starter plant, though, enough light will ripple through the growth cavern to keep all of the cave-growing plants alive. Loss of that trigger plant will destroy the whole biosphere and it must be cared for as its glow is a vital catalyst. Perhaps alternatives have been designed that glow in a similar spectrum, to greater or lesser results. Does it throw off the heat balance of the growing cavern to have a glowing brazier? Is it possible to use the venting system from the forge to run a pipe through the underground lake, causing steam to reach an ideal rainforest-like climate for the fruiting room? Is all of the corn purple or blue?

...Wow, I don't know where that came from. Uh. I draw fantasy maps, but the most isometric thing I've done is my signature graphic and well, yeah. Not exactly what you want. My fantasy map portfolio!

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Thanks Tiffany! I hear that you don’t do isomorphic maps, but I appreciate the ideas regardless, and love your site: I’ll be sure to hit you up for one of the many non-iso country maps I need.

I'd be happy to work with you in the future on one of those country maps! But yes, I find people think my style is usually too 'perspective warped cartooning' for someone who wants a strict isometric... not that I don't have the rulers for it... have you considered going to SkinnerGames who made the last map you posted? Hmm, maybe you could also call on Lunatic Games on the forum, he mostly does top down battlemaps but they're pretty nice inked work. Kier on the forum does stunning battlemaps but more the 'rendered' look, still possibly a contender if inked lineart isn't a key component. And if you really can't find someone there's always Dungeon Scrawl which does generate an isometric layout! (it's a free tool)

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!