Thread: WIP - Kingdom of Arkhania - Ayrelon - for a friends novel series.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default WIP - Kingdom of Arkhania - Ayrelon - for a friends novel series.

Hey everyone...long time no see! I'm kinda back mapping now. My oldest friend and former DM is finally about to publish some novels set in the world he created back then (with maybe a little help from me). I'm going to be making the flyleaf map for his first book "Bathed in the Blood of Ravens". Check out his world info and feel free to help me hype train this book! https://www.ayrelon.com/

The big issue I'm facing is that he's NOT a mapper...not even close. He has a lot of stuff in his head...a LOT of vision, but isn't able to cohesively lay it out in a map...so that's where I come in. I'm hoping to at LEAST get the land and scale into shape...if I have to tap out and help him arrange for a commission I'll be doing that, but in the meantime I figured I'd start a thread here and chronicle my progress on building the map from this sketch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ravens_rough_map.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	531.9 KB 
ID:	127278

This sketch is VERY rough...There's pretty much no geography here other than general layout and orientation of key story places. I'll have to interpret this and apply a bit of artistic license to turn it into a believable region with terrain. I'll definitely be interested in any feedback as well as helping me interpret the sketch. I'll also possibly post any of his descriptive stuff that might help you guys help me interpret.

If anyone would like to consider prepping for doing some of this work on commission (probably later) please let me know.

Otherwise it's good to be kinda back!
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Indeed, very, very, rough sketch !
    And hard to read too !
    But I love to see the very beginning, and see how you’ll make a beautiful map out of this !

Blog Entries

One of the first things I'd like to get help with is scale. He's provided me with some reference to scale based on travel speeds.

Mooncrest->Salvation Shire: 4 days casual horseback (I'm guessing about 90-100 miles?)
    Salvation Shire->Fel'Rechaun: 1.5 days fast horseback
    Vellenheim->Ekthri Wood: 4.5 days casual horseback
    Mooncrest->Ekthri Crossroads: 4.5 days moderate horseback

Anyone have any good guides on setting up that kind of scale?
    Last edited by Robbie; 12-20-2020 at 12:05 PM.

We do have this old thread : How far a horse travels in one day
    There might be some useful info in there?
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I think dividing "horseback" into three different speeds kinda makes things unnecessarily difficult, so first thing I would do is ditch the adjectives. I think I remember vaguely an estimate of 41-45 miles per day on horse when 'moderately' pushing it. I found this but it's talking mostly about modern horses: https://horseracingsense.com/how-far...avel-in-a-day/

Assuming a casual pace means a walking pace, modern horses, at least, can cover 25 to 35 miles a day with rest and water breaks. However even this pace can't be kept up for more than a few days without a significant (read that as at least one day) break. Faster paces wouldn't be able to be maintained as long and would probably require longer or more frequent breaks.

If we assume the casual pace of 25 to 35 miles per day, a moderate pace might be 32 to 44 miles per day with a day's rest every 3 days at a minimum, while a fast pace might be 38 to 52 miles per day but require a day's rest every other day.

You could try to find some info on the Pony Express. That might give a better set of parameters in terms of travel rates and rest requirements.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Blog Entries

I think ik going to settle on the ~35 number thanks to the various resources here. Good stuff. Since I have to measure this in travel times not straight line distance, I'll make a 100 mile long (scale) string and use it for a pencil sketch on paper.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FF193BEE-77B1-4034-B2C5-3EC7AA973B65.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	127380

Did a little sketching in procreate to lay down some general ideas. Got an Apple Pencil for Christmas so I figured I’d try it out. I’m not this kind of artist but it’s still a neat tool. This isn’t scaled yet, just experimenting.

There's a lot more space south of moon rest before the southern mountains. About 1 week travel along the southern reach

Sent from my SM-T978U using Tapatalk